High Miles FF Reliability? | FerrariChat

High Miles FF Reliability?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Piper, Mar 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm starting to seriously consider a higher miles FF as my 5th F-car later this year or early next. One of several models I'm considering, but with kids 9 and 11, it makes a great deal of sense as the 612 did a few years ago.

So clearly new car buyers these days are driving the hell out of their steeds compared to older models. That says something, says a lot of things, about reliability, modern comforts, etc. So a new FF owner lays down say 15-20k miles on a 2012 or 2013. What does a bottom dweller like me have to consider for the next 20k miles out of warranty? What are the big gotchas? Is the complicated AWD system at all suspect? Any evidence of oil leaks? Suspension items wear out?

Thanks...

2. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    My 2013 has about 20k mi on it and it has been the most reliable car I've ever had. Not the most reliable Ferrari, tho that too, most reliable of any car.

Full disclosure, I did have to stop by on Thursday to pick up something and had the dealer looked at why the car alarm was no longer beeping open or closed. Still locking and unlocking.

Turns out it just needed to have the battery power removed for 2min then the computers restarted and clock re-set. All well...

SV

3. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Cool. I've heard next to nothing of problems. Interesting. Thanks.

4. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    I didn't make it all the way through this video but Shmee has put 15,000+ miles on his FF in the past year or two. He loves it and found it difficult to come up with many gripes.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FUS1w3xnE0&t=301s[/ame]

5. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Drove mine for 43,000kms and very little problems (even used in the winter). It was a 2013 and sad i sold it :( new toys on the way.

6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Do it Bob, I am about to pull the trigger on one now as my DD.

7. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Watching a couple of contracts. I do think it's kind of interesting that here you and I are again looking at the same type of Ferrari at the same time. Probably end up with them parked side-by-side at Cars and Coffee again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Or soccer games. :) And although I love my 430 I am considering a 458 as a replacement but this may be a difficult decision. I find the 430 to be an awesome car.

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Only thing i had after 25k Miles was some rusting hardware around the rotors. Search my username to find the thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Pinarello

Pinarello Karting

Sep 20, 2013
    Visalia
    Full Name:
    Roberto Gugig
    I have described my ownership over 40,000 miles so far here :)
    I would prefer a car that has been driven to one that's been sitting in a garage !
    This car (like many others) do better with regular use
    I have kept my car under warranty all the time just in case but minimal issues
    I believe the FF is Ferraris best kept secret

11. 996TTurbo

996TTurbo Formula 3

Apr 9, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Martin
    As with most
    In my 13k miles I had to replace a throttle sensor which was the pedal assembly , not too much 1500 warranty covered it

And all the little issues and electrical quirks came from a bad/failing battery
    Since replacing the battery the car def feels livelier in every way. You can tell afterwards the car doesn't receive full voltage or something
    Gets sluggish and softer
    Now I feel it computes the adaptive shocks twice as fast and response time of up and downshifts
    Weird

Anyway that's it :) it's been my daily driver hiwever I left it a month due to travel and when I got back the battery got very low and wouldn't charge at dealer last a certain point
    Was the original battery

12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I was chatting with a very experienced Ferrari mastetech not long ago about the AWD hardware in the FF and reliability...he said it is actually a very straightforward system...just like an additional DCT to the front axles (IIRC).. basically he didn't view it as a weak point in the car at all.

13. Replevin

Replevin Karting

Oct 29, 2014
    Washington, DC
    I've spoken with my service adviser on this question when evaluating whether to continue with the warranty (FOW - which is your dealer too) and his comments are consistent with the others on this thread. He had one client who needed a transmission replacement at 75k miles, but that was his only experience with the replacement of a major item. Otherwise on the board, one member had rotors replaced as a result of repeated track days. These seem like outliers to me. Issues I've had include a replaced water pump, seat motor, struts on back hatch needed to be lubricated, and then I had a battery problem when the car sat for a while. None of these were big deals and the struts were likely the result of the previous owner not driving the car very much.

14. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    Had a 2011 FF and sold it with 32K+ miles on it. Had one parking sensor and airflow solenoid (resulted in a CEL) replaced under warranty. No issues otherwise.

Did have the Ferrari Christmas lights come up on the dashboard once, but that was easily solved by turning the key on the off again.

Said this a few times in other posts, my biggest gripe is the tiny fuel tank.

15. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So a bump. Was talking to Foreign Cars Italia about an OTO they have there now. Not my ideal interior, but I appreciate the understated lines more than the FF, already had a 612 once and got a lot of enjoyment out of her. I'm reviewing the receipts on recent service, 2010, 10k mile car and had already had a bad water pump and a bad alternator. Not the first time I've heard both going bad, but first time I'd heard of both going bad by 10k miles. Why is the FF going 30-40k miles with barely a fuse or switch? The 612 also has the consumable suspension bits, tie rods and control arms. F1 system is prone to springing leaks but sounds like the FF AWD system is fairly bulletproof. Are there any dissenting opinions at all? Why did Ferrari finally decide to build a bulletproof car? Still skeptical. Can't help it.

16. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #16 Brian L, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    FF like F12/458 are a step up in every way. Nothing is bulletproof, yet way better. Fully modern manufacturing.

17. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I must say, I bought an FF at 19k miles nearly 18 months ago. Now at 27k and it has been very solid, except for the battery issue already mentioned. If you'very had a 612, I would strongly recommend waiting for an FF - it's a very interesting car technically and feels a significant step on from the previous generation car. Gearbox alone makes a major contribution to that feeling.

18. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Is there a thread anywhere on what common components the FF might share with the prior generation, engine accessories, suspension, anything at all? There were so many shortcomings on the 612, not just bigger items like the water pump or tie rods and ball joints, but little ****, still costly like the window switches, side mirror control, LCD display likes to die, reverse lever safety can wear out, etc. Any cheap items like this on the FF? Don't meant to disparage the marque, I'm a fan. Been through four so far. But we all know the bull**** like stickies and shrinking leather. So the FF is a generation above, looks are starting to grow on me a bit. But has Ferrari gotten better in the recent gen with the other cosmetic type cheapies? They can still hurt. Break a window switch on a 612, and it'll cost you over a grand for instance. It's not that the switch replacement costs a grand. I mean that's bad, but its the fact that it would break off in your hand in the first place. Again, loved my 612 :) Would still love it, if I still had it. But what's still sub par on the FF? Anything? Nothing? Leaky magnaride shocks maybe?

19. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    It's a modern car, not an "old Ferrari". I wouldn't get near any pre 2010-11 Ferrari as a daily driver. As you mentioned, from $1000 spark plug jobs to $10,000 oil changes, it was a mess. Each FF is unique and none are perfect, but one with 2000 miles a year or more already should serve you well, especially from a dealer with a good history. Get the Power 2 for the big worries.

20. ml321

ml321 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    London/Munich
    Disagree on the earlier cars - happily had a 355 as daily driver in 2009/2010 and drove it about 12k miles pa including London city traffic every day

On the FF - the battery is too weak, so had to pay for a stronger one. Electronics cśometimes throw a wobble, mine seem to love the engine management warning message - but so far never a problem / always cured by switching off or battery off.
    My parking sensor never worked properly and warranty did not cover replacement - had them replace it and still does not work properly, so seems to be a more fundamental issue - I gave up and am just a little more careful parking

Only other items so far were new brake pads at the rear. I am a bit scared off the discs ever needing replacing as that is rather pricey, but will figure out a solution once required.

Drove it about 25k km in 18 months - no other issues I can remember. I am still paying for the warranty as am apprentice of the gearbox going wrong at some point - first time they used the double clutch on a v12 - renewal coming up in a few months. Given I do about 20k km pa I will probably continue paying for it - at least for a few more years for peace of mind. I plan to keep this car forever, so over the years I should be able to chart all issues coming with age and high mileage

Edit: I just remembered one of the screens in the instrument binnacle packed it in at some point and only came back after disconnecting the battery - I assume replacing those is expensive, so another reason for the warranty

21. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Has anyone had any problems with the MRC (magnetic ride control)? How long will those last before needing replacement? Something going wrong with this will be major because the car cannot simply limp to service, but would need to be flatbedded.

22. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    The flimsiest part of the FF are the seatbelt handovers. They also have a mind of their own.

In comparison to the 612, the rest of the car - doors, switches, dials feel a generation ahead in terms of solidity.

23. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I am thinking of trading my 458 for the FF, I don't like the looks, but I know what that engine can do. I miss a 12.

24. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    After one adjustment on one of mine, they both have been perfect.

You mean 50-150 with a roar, and in comfort? You mean 180 with 4 passengers and luggage? It's so much more of a car.

timjen88 likes this.
  25. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin

They tried to get them right on mine, mostly they were OK but not all the time. I think the issue would be solved by the retaining piece that the seat belt sits in being just half an inch or so wider. Quite possible that someone with a 3D printer could actually make one as its just a plastic moulding.