Lusso T review | FerrariChat

Lusso T review

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by -K1-, Mar 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
  2. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
    Thank you for the post. The press test for Lusso T have started in Italy around Siena so more reviews will follow

3. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Interesting car but I remain unclear if it will find it's niche. I would like to think that if I was able to spend that much on a GT 2+2 I would want a V12 to carry on a tradition embodied by favorites of mine the 456 and the GTE .

That said, huge respect to the engineers behind Ferrari's T V8 engine, its a great driving, powerful and flexible thing. From this huge GT , to the 488 and Cali T, it even seems to work really well with 2 cylinders missing in the Alfa giulia quadrifoglio.

4. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Indeed, it's a pretty amazing V8!

5. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Not obvious to me why you would buy this over the new Porsche shooting brake, 4wd and same power, no doubt better build at half the price optioned.

6. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Here's a review you won't read in the codependent press:

The Lusso T is an embarrassing blemish on the long history of unique motor cars from Maranello, that offers a 10-15% cost savings (after options) as compared to the flagship 12 cyl motor with front wheel pull, in the same chassis. The 8 cyl T fuel economy is better, if you drive it like a hybrid, which you shouldn't be doing in a Ferrari anyway.

Proving RACE is now trying to be all things to all people, this car will boost sales in some markets, which is an interesting strategy for a company that has not been able to make as many cars as they can sell for some time and can't add more than 2000 a year without global guzzler penalties. More puzzling yet is the iconography confusion the alternative engine option creates, and worst of all is the 12 cyl model's exclusivity dilution, from a company that sells exclusivity, almost exclusively.

Color me perplexed and head spinning, like a turbo.

7. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    #10 deltona, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    My dealer tells me the LussoT is classed by Ferrari as a separate model so despite the lack of interest from UK buyers each dealer will have to run a LussoT as a demonstrator along side the V12 Lusso.

At least it should make the decision to buy the V12 even more compelling.

8. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    This will certainly appeal to some, especially in those countries where tax is an issue but I cannot see the argument for northern Europe where ice and snow can sometimes be a feature. As far as the economic argument goes the saving on purchase is significant but not crucial and mpg means over 8000 mls per annum you save maybe £600.

To me the car is all about 4 wheel drive, V12 super silky na power and knowing I'm not driving the 'economy version'

9. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    +1 I'd be fascinated to compare the sales figures in Europe in a years time. Of course it makes sense for some high tax markets where the V12 will cost much more than the £30k base price difference, especially in warmer climates where the 4RM wouldn't be so useful.

I may well get a Lusso in the future but might have to buy myself a little V12 badge to stick on the boot :)

10. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
    A V8 makes sense only for the high tax markets, otherwise you simply don't care about fuel economy, for you already have the income to support the running costs/insurance of a V12.

11. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
  12. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    What a weird report, best car Ferrari makes but only 4 stars ! What would the rest get ?

13. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
  14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thank everyone for posting these. Interesting reading. IMO, the most interesting passage from the Top Gear review is:

"But it’s not exciting or inspirational enough, at least not by Ferrari’s usual standards. Being allowed another 500rpm might help, something the 488 GTB’s turbo engine provides. The act of building speed is thrilling, but there’s not enough titillation of your ears to go with the thump in your back. Perhaps if there wasn’t already a V12 version of the Lusso, we wouldn’t care…"

T

15. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

Totally agree. A powerful argument for why Ferrari shouldn't move down market (all relative, of course).

16. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Even though I rarely agree with you on things related to GTC4Lusso, on this point I could not agree with you more. Dilution of the V12 brand is really perplexing. If they wanted to have the V8 option for markets like China that is fine but why sell it in Europe and US?

17. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
    #20 Griffon83, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. cwazyeurodrivr

cwazyeurodrivr Karting

Mar 12, 2017
    Bedford, NH
    Glad I ordered a V12 ,( from the sounds of those articles) .. and those pics... V12 is sexier for sure .

19. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I am inclined to agree with you. I don't really see much of a point to this car, I don't believe the UK price difference will be material and most would probably still go for the V12 for emotive and sound reasons. However I do think this car has been launched as a way to get Cali T customers to trade up, that I believe is the purpose here to a lesser or greater degree.

Sure the V8 has tax advantages in some markets but truthfully are these advantages so enormous to sway someone from the V12 on that basis alone?

Removing the 4wd further erodes this cars usability in countries which has severe weather and with it one of the core appeals of the GTC is removed.

20. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

"Ferrari tells us the Lusso T has come about entirely as a result of customer feedback. The FF brought a different, wider-ranging group of customers to Maranello, with a younger average age.

Within this wider group, it’s found a younger-still sub-sect (think 35 to 40, rather than the traditional 50+ Ferrari demographic) who would prefer to travel further between fuel stops, rarely drive in areas with low-grip conditions and thus don’t need or want all-wheel-drive, and would like a more involving, neutral handling balance – albeit one still geared towards comfort."

So, perhaps this is an attempt to attract new buyers to the marque rather than appease established clientele.

T

21. F1BHP

F1BHP Rookie

Mar 10, 2017
    Not sure about that. I am 40 and I want an FF because of the V12 and 4 wheel drive, I would not have looked at it in any other form, may as well get a Porsche and save a bunch of money.

22. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
    #25 Griffon83, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Concerning Greece oh yes, a 3.9 V8 is far cheaper than a 6.3 V12. Assuming the V8 GTCLusso costs around 350,000 Euros sans options, the V12 is definitely 70,000+ Euros more expensive.

To give you a perspective, the Mercedes W222 S500 V8 biturbo costs around 167,000 Euros, whereas the V12 biturbo S600 is 269,000 Euros, and the AMG S65 380,000 Euros.