Where Have I Been--Drove FF--WOW! What a GREAT DD! | FerrariChat

Where Have I Been--Drove FF--WOW! What a GREAT DD!

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by IPO1, Mar 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Sold 458 a while back and driving new things that were not on radar. Had oppty to drive FF this past weekend and I'm completely embarrassed that I missed this beast over the past many years. Never gave it a second thought--that was mistake.

I mean V12, 651HP, NA, Four seats, AWD...HELLO!

What a fun damn car. Started to search some out and see things have not quite leveled out price wise, but that aside, what are the MUST have's in this one? Know 458, 488--but nada on this one.

- Lift?
    - Carbon fiber steering wheel (is that really ness on this one)
    - I know front camera is kinda important with long nose, but if a good deal came along with out is it a show stopper?
    - Stereo (ashamed to ask, but is HiFI needed, as I read some reviews regular is terrible).

Anything else I'm missing??

Thanks in advance and yes I did read pages of threads first but thought I'd go to the experts.

2. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    as many have said "Ferrari's best kept secret". it was built to feel like a bigger, but similar 458. Still fun to drive.

Carbon wheel, I would say yes. Lifter, not really, some have it and never use it, some need it. Stereo upgrade is still awful. Front camera is a maybe/optional, I use it to check the curbs on angle parking occasionally.

As you know, just find a car you love in good shape. Yes the market has more or less leveled after a couple heavy crashes.

3. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Great info thanks Brian. With new one out is the market really stable or still sorting out?

Do the 14-15's have bluetooth (I know dumb question, but if I daily want to stream music somehow).

4. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #4 Brian L, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Apple Car play is avail. in the last year only. Bluetooth yes, although I don't use it. Horrible sound quality with any bluetooth, I listen to the engine music !

Still depreciating but slower. 150 ish feels like a bottom right now for the high mileage cars. Saw a 35k black '12 go for 145 in LA recently at a non F dealer. Build matters. Pedigree matters as always, yet maybe a less than with other models. I would look for the sweet spot, not too few and not too many miles. At least 2000 a year, to get out the gremlins ... up to maybe 25,000 depending on what you're going to do. Higher miles and you're looking at the possibility of rotors in a few years if you drive it a lot and keep it a while.

5. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Thanks. There are several that are just leaving warranty, so I've put in an inquiry as to the ability to add an additional year.

We'll see what they say. Rather have coverage for the first year and it's a lower milage car.

Don't know where depreciation will end, but think that $150 mark is about right for mid-higher milage cars. Nice to see most have a bunch of miles as in they are actually driven.

6. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    - Lift?
    => Never used the lift on mine, I DD the car and go in and out of public parking garages all the time.

- Carbon fiber steering wheel (is that really ness on this one)
    => I made it a must on the FF I was looking for. Love the look of the CF on this SW.
    DDing the car, you rarely get to see the LEDs on.
    If I had to order an FF new, I would not order it with the LED Steering wheel.
    Now, on a Lusso, I would take the CF LED wheel as it looks much better than the aluminum wheel.

- I know front camera is kinda important with long nose, but if a good deal came along with out is it a show stopper?
    => I don't have it, and DDing the car, I wish everyday I had it.

- Stereo (ashamed to ask, but is HiFI needed, as I read some reviews regular is terrible).
    => My car has the base Stereo and it is indeed pretty bad.
    Depends on your use. Week end drives: not needed. The V12 is a symphony.
    On long highway drives, the engine knows to make himself discreet, and a better radio would make sense.

7. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Great feedback--thank you!

8. Jordan68

Jordan68 Formula Junior

May 12, 2015
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jordan W
    The FF is just amazing in all aspects...got mine in 2015 and I am still enjoying it every day... no need for a lifter, Carbon Steering wheel will be nice, back camera is needed...nothing more than that in my opinion

9. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Perfect one I'm looking at has back camera (no front) and no carbon wheel, but think I can live without it.

My local gas station is going to love me :)

10. 996TTurbo

996TTurbo Formula 3

Apr 9, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Everything pretty much has been covered however I don't understand the hi fi system being terrible?!

I'm a big Audio guy and the surround sound hi fi imo sounds amazing
    Better than the burneister 3D in my benz s550 cab and basically other cars I've had with various setups

I sit very far back so get the pillar speaker right behind my head/ear, one thing to note is max power and range comes from podcasts or when you hook your phone up then I think you'll see how good it really is

11. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Interesting. I found the surround on my FF intrusive and over staged. Much better to my ears with the surround off. But I would say the upgraded FF HiFi is actually not bad for Ferrari. But the Burmester in my Macan is in another league.

12. Replevin

Replevin Karting

Oct 29, 2014
    Washington, DC
    When I was looking for a car, I did not see many cars with a front camera (would be nice to have). Easy to find a car with the lift and with a cf steering wheel (my car has both).

My view on the lift (which I use all the time) is - why wouldn't you look for a car with it? As I'm sure you know, most options have very little resale value. So why not get a car with one (it is a popular option); it is really a debate for a new car, imo.

On application - I use it all the time and never worry if I'm going to scrape. Why go through life inching over every driveway unless you want to be "that guy in the Ferrari."

13. 996TTurbo

996TTurbo Formula 3

Apr 9, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Martin

I guess everyone has diff perspective right? For my my electronic music through the hi fi surround is anazing, I can hear literally all the different aspects of sound/instrument etc

I think the burmeister 3D option in my new benz is terrible actually and I thought it was going to be unreal! Sounds flat compared to the jbl hi fi in ff

Maybe needs to break in, only 900 miles on my 550 cab so far

14. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Agreed Martin, audio is very personal. Re the Burmester, I don't like the Surround on that either so may just be my ears. Also I found the burmester a little harsh at first but I think after several hours it has flattened now. By the way, I also listen to Electronic music so I also like a nice sub ;-)

15. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Amazing car isn't it! I love mine. For the one time I drive my Speciale, I drive the FF 10 times. I can go on and on about how this is a genuinely amazing car but I think you know that! I got my 2016 in August and bought it new off the dealership floor. My only regrets were that I didn't spec it.

Lift - Didn't know you could.
    Carbon fiber steering wheel - I have one and it's fine. Not a deal breaker but I like it.
    Cameras - 100% needed for me. I use them all the time - both front and rear.
    Stereo - fine by me. Ever listened to the Speciale stereo? That's bad. The FF stereo is good enough.

16. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    My "record" so far has been to fill up the tank 5 times (full tanks) in 1 week :)

17. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Loved mine and miss it dearly, can't wait for my replacement GTC! Enjoy, I keep looking at the ones for sale thinking I just do another one in the meantime :)

18. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    GREAT feedback all. The one I was looking at (14) with a few thousand miles sold (BUT it had never been serviced)at $170, which bothered me. So the hunt continues...no rush as there are choices showing up all the time.

19. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    yea that's a little low

stick with dealers and negotiate your best

consider a warr extension vs. self insure, years 4 and 5 are avail within 30 days of the 3 years, and years 4-12 are avail no matter what as power 2

20. KNOKKi

KNOKKi Karting

Jul 20, 2015
    Amsterdam
    #20 KNOKKi, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    I bought a 13 car with literally every option (100.000 euro in total) while I considered only 2 options deal makers (apart from year, mileage, 'trustworthiness', colour, etc.):
    - panoramic roof
    - lift system

Living in Amsterdam, I am really happy with the lift system. Touched ground 3 times (2 x front; 1 x middle) since I collected the car in november. All 3 times I had not lifted the car. From 1 of the occasions I know I would have been save if I would have lifted...

For the panoramic roof you should ask the persons who sat in the back.

I would also recommend the tyre pressure control system.

And then I like the passenger display. In the beginning I even thought it was better to read than the 'normal' instruments and looked at this display to know how fast I was driving. Anyways, personally I think it is sexier than the led wheel (which I have not used until now btw).

PS It took 2 years in my case before I ended up with an FF: 1214-1116 During that time I did not really have the impression that the FFs in the spec I was interested in where substantially lowering in price. Bigger choice yes!

21. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Still hunting...seems like lift is key and pano. But wondering if I could live without.

Interesting things out there.

FF has me hungry for V12

22. Pinarello

Pinarello Karting

Sep 20, 2013
    Visalia
    Full Name:
    Roberto Gugig
    I use my car daily and have put more than 40,000 miles on it so far, I use the lift but you could live without it depending on your use and were you plan to use the car, I don't have the PANO roof ( as not available in 2012) looks super nice but personal preference in my opinion, I use and appreciate more the full electric and ventilated seats, you won't regret getting this car, it's simply awesome, yes there are faster cars, yes there are more exotic looking cars, but as a true all around car that can do many things well, very hard to beat!

23. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    40,000 in 3.5 years? Well done.

I agree it's the seats, then the roof, then the lift (don't have it, don't use it)

24. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    BRAVO! 40 is impressive.

Thank you for feedback on lift and roof! Maybe not having a glass roof in the baking South heat may not be a bad thing :)

25. Pinarello

Pinarello Karting

Sep 20, 2013
    Visalia
    Full Name:
    Roberto Gugig
    I live in California in the summer heat the ventilated seats are awesome:), I think the FF is the most usable and practical super car out there period, besides the Achilles heal of the battery ( I wish they just would have two batteries like most modern cars) it's a sublime experience !, last year I was on my way to car week in Monterrey with my wife, two kids, luggage, and going 146mph with 6 lambo aventadors and believe me the car could have gone faster without a problem:)