Front camera for the FF? | FerrariChat

Front camera for the FF?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Georgemaser, Mar 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Georgemaser

Georgemaser Karting

Aug 7, 2014
    Michigan
    Is there a decent, easy install, after market front camera for the FF? Continental Ferrari was supposed to install a Ferrari one for me and after one month and 2 different front cameras sent by Ferrari they determined that the only way to do it would be to remove the seats and carpet and hook to the rear camera. They advised me not to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am just afraid I will hit the front on a parking curb.

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the nose actually goes over most curbs. I think of each scratch and bump as a new trophy.

the answer to your questions is no. thats coming from one of the most sophisticated and talented shops in the country.

3. Georgemaser

Georgemaser Karting

Aug 7, 2014
    Michigan
    Any after market options?

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Apparently if u switch to the pioneer you can add a front camera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    We're on our 2nd FF and consider the rear camera indispensible, but have never had or felt the need for the front camera on any of our cars....

The trick with the FF (and F12) is getting a good mental sight picture of what's in front of you, the first few times we'd pull up to a curb we'd end up 2 feet away (being careful) but so far, have never scraped. The FF itself has a different "sight picture" when you're sitting in it, you are further back and the front wheels are turning a bit away from you compared to most cars (especially a 458..).

Candidly, unless you want the cost and expense of replacing the infotainment system, etc etc I'd spend a few bucks on some orange cones and go practice in a parking lot....my wife and i did that and it only took a few tries to calibrate our brains and eyes.

We have a front camera in the TDF....which has a much lower, much more hidden and infinitely more expensive front bumper and we rarely use the front camera.

Good luck, hope you're enjoying the car otherwise.

6. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Indeed, it will be easy once you register the sight picture. What I find most difficult is when the parking space is at an angle from the curb, ie 45 degrees with the driver's side farther from the curb. Of course, another option is to simply back into every parking space.

7. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    I had the front camera on my FF, but found that the front parking sensors are sufficient.

I did use it a bit at the beginning when getting used to the size of the front nose, but once you're past that it's not as essential and becomes more of a nice to have.

8. 996TTurbo

996TTurbo Formula 3

Apr 9, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I ventured to have this done by Ferrari fort laud... they seeked out an outside source that does radio, electrical installs for them

Guy said the actual cluster has to be opened up and again as mentioned, advised me not to go through with it as the electronics are very sensitive

I've only ever had one issue with curb, and it was slight

Thankfully my 3m protected the paint almost 100%

So my advice is, be careful, use reflection of other cars or windows to gauge and maybe add a few layers of 3m vinyl under and in front of bumper for added security

9. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Would you mind putting up a link to the 3M vinyl you have mentioned?

10. 996TTurbo

996TTurbo Formula 3

Apr 9, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Here ya go
    Scotchgard? Paint Protection Film

There are diff thickness, kinds of vinyl... you don't necessarily need the best of the best but it really saves my paint

11. Georgemaser

Georgemaser Karting

Aug 7, 2014
    Michigan
    Is there any add on camera (that has a battery) that Bluetooths to your phone?

12. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Sure, there are many makes of plate frames with cameras that can connect, however they require a power lead and, in my opinion, are butt ugly. Depending on if, or how, you have a front plate, you would need to run the wire. Also if you use Bluetooth in the car, you would have to switch connections before using it. Check amazon

I still think practice would be easier