How accurate is the FF speedometer? | FerrariChat

How accurate is the FF speedometer?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Copasetic222, Mar 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Copasetic222

Copasetic222 Karting

Jan 25, 2009
    Purchased a '14 FF last month and absolutely loving it!

I'll be taking it on a long cross country trip in a couple of weeks (Florida to Minnesota), and I'm woukd like to know how accurate the speedometer is.

I'm used to BMW's, where at 70 miles per hour on the speedo, the actual speed is overstated by 5-6 miles per hour

I've driven thousands of freeway miles in a newer BMW at 80-81 mph in a 70 mph speed limit zone and gone by multiple radar traps without being stopped. Other BMW owners report the same thing.

Wondering how the FF speedo compares.

2. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    At 70mph indicated on the dash, mine is different from the GPS apps on my phone by no more than 2-3 mph (the FF is actually under the GPS speed), and the same on the gps on the radar detector. It seems to be pretty close at all speeds. At over 120, its still within 4-5 mph. And that is way within what I would consider the abilities/margin of error of any systems to indicate/calculate speed.

3. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    WAZE agrees with you Eric. Speedo is a little lower than reality, but not 5-6 at 80

4. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Mine typically shows 2mph higher than actual on radar traps...

SV

5. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    My FF is the same, as was the previous FF.

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I've found the Ferrari speedos in my cars to be pretty accurate (comparing with portable GPS when that was a thing/ apps now). BMW is something like 3% + 3MPH. In Germany it is against the law to understate speed so they set the speedos up to overstate it. I think the 3% alone is enough, but apparently BMW disagrees... I don't think the Ferrari speedo is understating your speed though. Possibly a little bit overstated, but nothing like in BMW.

7. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Reminds me of something I noticed in New Zealand last year. Rented a RAV4 and driving thru the South Island. I noticed my rav was 8 kph under on the radar traps. But everyone was driving 8 kph under the limit. Every car was running that slow and obviously the speedos were calibrated to show low by a significant amount.

SV

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    All cars overstate a little. Newer cars still do but by less and it doesn't increase at greater speed I think like old mechanical ones do.

9. abdulla.alhajri

abdulla.alhajri Karting

Jul 16, 2015
    That issue is with 90% of the cars my 2015 x5 is 4km/h off

10. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    in reading what I wrote, I realize I got it backwards and that mine is as the others have said; Speedo reads about 2mph higher than actual as registered on gps.