F12 gearbox vs TDF/812 | FerrariChat

F12 gearbox vs TDF/812

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by f12tm, Apr 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f12tm

f12tm Karting

Nov 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    I am curious.. when the TDF and now the 812 were announced, along came information that gear shifts were improved over the F12 by approximately 30-40% quicker upshifts and 50-60% quicker downshifts... having driven my F12 fairly aggressivley, I can't imagine that much of an improvement in shift times but it's out there... so has anyone explored how one could get the F12 gearbox up to TDF/812 performance levels ? is it a simple ECU program, can the gearbox
    ECU from a TDF be simply swapped ? I would acknowledge that I may be in an area that can't be modified but my curiosity has got me wondering....

2. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Good question however if i'm not mistaken it's going to be the TCU and not the ECU

3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Not familiar with its TCU but not likely a direct swap can be made because the gearing is physically different between the three which may alter the way in which the clutches need to be programmed in all circumstances. However, I don't see why the F12B TCU could not be specifically altered to different clutch timing but its likely a trade off with reliability and drivability. When you decrease switching time between clutches it would seem you increase overlap which would increase heat and wear and give more abrupt switching all other things being equal. I like to keep those things stock as the designers intended.

4. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    The physics (mechanical and electronic/software) are the same between the gearboxes (or, best I know, between the F12 and TDF, I'd assume so re the 812).

The F12 and TDF have different ratios, and again, I'd presume the same limitations (torque loads). Someone can correct me, but I believe the 430 vs. Scuderia gearbox (F1 vs. "superfast") did have some actual hardware differences in how it actuated; less sure about the Getrag DCT.

The software would be the primary difference, which is primarily TCU-driven, but the TCU also has to "mate" with the engine ECU among others in the car.

In driving the TDF, I'm not sure I can detect the few milliseconds the gearbox shifts more quickly than the F12, but the engine itself revs quickly and is matched perfectly to the gearbox settings. Candidly it's less abrupt than our 458 and Speciale, which would give you a "gearbox kick".....the TDF gives you an engine kick and that is detectable

I would imagine the challenge of trying to change up the F12's settings would be in making sure you have all the settings aligned right (again, assuming no internals are changed).

5. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Just to point out the reality when dealing with very fine measurements.

Although 20% sounds like a big difference, with small very metrics it actually may not be very noticeable.

For example, can you tell the difference between a small spot measuring 200 microns and one which measures 240 microns?

You probably would need a magnifying glass to even see the spot.

6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I am not sure where these improvements are with a dual-clutch gearbox, because in most cases (hopefully) the "gearchange" is only a switch between the two clutches, the actual gearbox change being performed on the un-clutched shaft...

7. f12tm

f12tm Karting

Nov 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the responses...they help lead me to the Ricambi web-site and I found out a few answers... Under F-12's and ECU's, there is a DCT-ECU un-programed unit ..one part number, then superseded by another after a given production number.. that being noted, I called Ricambi and was told they cannot source a programmed unit from Ferrari... that if one should by the unit ($4,300+) then an authorized Ferrari location would have to contact a technical department at Ferrari and they would download the operating code for a specific F-12/TDF serial number car.. so Ferrari must be fairly concerned with guarding the technical aspects of how the gearbox functions at these shift speeds... What got me going on this was listening to the current Youtube session of Josh Cartu in his LaFerrari Aperta and hearing how swift the shifts were.. I suspect the programed shift speed in his Aperta would be very similar to the TDF...music to the ears..

8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    FYI most new TCUs/ECUs need a VIN and factory program which is the same process you described as this is a common practice not unique to Ferrari. Unless, of course, you can find a used one on the Internet or one from a junk yard and start from there (how would you program it?) Is it really of any practical concern though? We're talking a few thousands of a second difference and none on multiple shifts.

9. kyledesilva

kyledesilva Rookie

Jun 21, 2013
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Kyle De Silva
    Has anyone else experienced jerky downshifts with the F12? My car is brand new, 2017 last F12 on sale and I am honestly disappointed in the smoothness of the downshifts in Manual mode.

10. patekswiss

patekswiss Formula 3

Mar 31, 2014
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo
    Yes, they are not the best. As a point of comparison I offer the GT3 RS DCT. Especially in the "sporty shift" mode, the downshifts on that car are brutal in terms of abruptness and sound -- but somehow otherwise seem smoother in every way than the F12's. The DCT, as good as it was when the F12 was introduced, is definitely a place for improvement. I can't comment on how well the 812 or tdf addressed this. It's not really Ferrari's fault, the tech just moved on quite a bit in the few short years since the F12 was introduced.

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think Ferrari is very protective over their software etc. It's just as the others said very well above- its all interactive. So if you change one variable, likely others are affected. I would leave well enough alone on this one. I have found the 3-2 downshift, if you are in moderate, in-town, driving, it can sometimes be a little bit of a brutal shift. But my experience, granted its with a 2017 car, is the shifts are good! Especially in race mode! Ferrari is really the master of dialing in all these modes, so you might want to play with different settings to see what you like. There is always room for improvement. I also agree with the comment that these things already shift so fast, so while a big % might look like a huge improvement, it might not be quite as noticeable as the numbers would make you think. If you want a real eye opener, go drive a 599 GTBF1 and then go drive your F12... Massive difference (for the better).

12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Certainly so - the 599 and F430 have a conventional manual box that's "robotized" while the 458 and F12 made the move to DCT, which is another dimension (it's not about gradual improvement, it's a completely different design).

13. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    It's actually likely to be compatible and a literal plug and play. Hell, both engines and gearboxes might be as well, the chassis is the same, so mounting points will be the same, the internals are different, but the engine case is the same.
    A TCU swap (there are very little TCU tuners, unfortunately), should do the trick.

14. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    I found this old thread and I wonder if anyone knows more about this 5 years later? As it sounds very interesting.