Clear bra on F12 hood | FerrariChat

Clear bra on F12 hood

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by acw, Apr 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. acw

acw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    My new to me yellow F12 came with bumper, hood and other front panels totally wrapped with a clear bra. Last week I had the dealer removed the hood clear bra because it was distorted on the side, causing a visual effect where the color is changing a bit. Also the installer did use 3 pieces of material and I did not like the seam.

The dealer claims it is impossible to install a one piece clear bra on the hood because the hood is too long...

- have any of you found a way to get a single piece of clear bra installed on an F12 hood. If so do you know what material was used?

- who is the best clear bra installer in the SF bay area?

Thanks

Arnaud

2. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Dealer is correct - will not fit in one piece due to length of the hood front-to-back. Either do lower half only or patch together at top corners. This is due to size of roll sold to installers. Can't help you with Bay installers - sorry.

3. gt2urbo

gt2urbo Karting

Dec 27, 2009
    LA
    my wrap guy "stickercity" just did my tdf. they need 1 full day to do the hood with 1 piece. he said it takes about 6 hours to do the hood alone. Its going in tuesday for the hood. they have already done another so id call them and ask them

4. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    My F12 is being clear wrapped this week. I have been told that the bonnet (hood) cannot be covered in one piece so there will be a very thin hairline visible a couple of inches away from the bonnet edge in the two corners nearest the windscreen.

5. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Deltona is correct. My F12 hood is wrapped the same way with just two very small areas close to the windshield exposed.

6. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Mine I left it today and is being prepared to be wrapped but by the tales held I get the impression that the hood will be done with just one piece of XPel film. I'll check with the detailer soon and confirm if my assumption is correct or not.

7. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    talks held....

8. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I spoke with my detailer and below you can see a picture of the Xpel kit - Full hood, Fenders and Mirror kit he will be applying on my F12. The kit is cut by the detailer special plotter from the large Xpel film sheets and the designs are customized in relation to the ones shown below based on previous application experiences. The detailer tells me that the customization improves the fitting in relation to the standard kit.

Answering the question I confirm the hood is done only in one piece.

9. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #9 MDEL, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Thanks Mario. I'm sure he is telling you the truth but unless I'm mistaken looking at the drawing it seems that there are two pieces in the top corners that are separate to the main hood?

My detailer uses a combination of Suntek and Xpel by the way.

11. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Justin that's very well observed and my impression is that the main hood is effectively a complete piece iand the two pieces you mentioned are applied separately.

12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Please post the results. The picture above is indeed the standard 3-piece hood film. I don't mind the small patched together pieces as seams are unavoidable in other sections without disassembly.

13. acw

acw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    First thanks for all the information and advices. I really appreciate it.

The drawing clearly shows 2 extra small pieces at the top of the hood. The problem is that the seam doesn't look good at all. I might put it back on for protection but leave the top uncovered. I suspect it might look better that way.

Arnaud

14. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I have seen the seem on other F12s and it is hardly noticebale unless you are looking for it. I guess it is also down to how good the installation is done. I'll have mine in a couple of days and try to post a picture of the join.

15. seawise

seawise Karting

Feb 29, 2016
    Sussex, UK
    had mine done by Topaz - they left the top corners uncovered. it's not especially noticeable unless you looking for it.

16. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Justin mine is only ready by the end of next week and after I'll try to post a picture of that join as well. What I've been told confirms what you've seen "The seem…it is hardly noticeable…"

17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    That is basically the layout I have on my car and its really not noticeable.

18. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    same here..non issue really.

19. seawise

seawise Karting

Feb 29, 2016
    Sussex, UK
    Oh it is a join (nothing left unprotected), i had a look in the garage tonight - it's not too bad really.

20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Seams are easier on the eye than chips. Remember, films are also not permanent.

21. gt2urbo

gt2urbo Karting

Dec 27, 2009
    LA
    my tdf came with a wrap similar to the one posted by mdel... i told my wrap guys that i didnt want 3 piece. they told me it can be done it just takes some time to stretch the material...

22. rracer

rracer Karting

Apr 27, 2008
    Alfragide
    Full Name:
    Rui Melo
    It can stretch but the it will have a lot of stretching marks that you will notice much more than the seam. :(

Regards

Rui

23. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    The way I look at it, clear bra is put on the car to protect it. Not beautify it. There will be some seams here and there. It's a fact of life. It's much better than permanent rock chips and scuffs. So many times clear bra has saved my paint. I don't let a little seam here and there bother me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    +1

What I don't get is the need to wax or do maintenance on the film per the manufacturer. Wouldn't it be easier to just remove the old one and put on a new one when the old one gets worn out or all beaten up?

25. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    If you must wrap it, send it to Todd Cooperider at Esoteric Auto Detail Paint protection film / clear bra. | Esoteric Auto Detail in Columbus, Ohio | Detailing, Clear Bra, Training, and Product Sales. ... I've seen quite a few of their film covered cars and have yet to spot a seam on any of them. Todd and his folks are magicians and in the Columbus OH area. Very well worth shipping your car to them!

Now, why cover it? I have 25,000 miles on my current FF and over 100,000 miles between the four other Ferrari's that I've owned and have only had to fill a few stone chips using Dr. Color Chip which works really well. Would you rather see Jennifer Aniston naked or wrapped with Saran Wrap? I'm not from California so I'll take her without the Saran Wrap!