F12 Brake Issues | FerrariChat

F12 Brake Issues

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by AaronW, May 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AaronW

AaronW Rookie

Jun 14, 2016
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I just had a rock caught behind the rotor and heat shield on front wheel, caused a horrible grinding noise.

Anyone have a similar issue

Must say however Central New Jersey were great picked up the car like 6 pm Thursday and returned it Monday morning

2. jbdmd

jbdmd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Doc Jay
    Yes. I had it in both my F12 and in my previous 991 TTS. In both cases the rock dislodged by going backwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Nope but I did notice today driving from Geneva to Milano that I have to press on the brakes a helluva lot more than usual to slow down - was coming off from 2..kph when I first noticed and now every single time I brake I feel the "softness" in the early part of pressing on the brake pedal....

4. AaronW

AaronW Rookie

Jun 14, 2016
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Thanks for the heads up regarding going in reverse, unfortunately the development I live in is still under construction so there are small rocks everywhere

LOL maybe i should just reverse out to the main street

5. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Lol

Sent from my BBA100-2 using Tapatalk

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Rocks trapped against the brake rotor are fairly common. Had one on a Jeep Grand Cherokee several years back. Drives you crazy until it is removed.

7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I have my brake fluid flushed every two years minimum and it is hard to believe how much improvement you feel. Its the first thing you notice. If you are having trouble with pressure then just have it serviced.

8. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

Brilliant advice, never thought about that. Approx how many miles/km do you do in that 2 year period ?

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Yes, the rock against a rotor is a horrible sound. I'd be even more worried with carbon brakes- I would imagine this could chip or possibly crack the rotor? I had it happen last year on a BMW, fortunately metal rotors.

I do break fluid change every year on my cars. I view it as cheap insurance. It not only gets me fresh fluid, but it also means my mechanic is taking a bit longer to look at the brakes. I'm not going to the track, but I can sometimes drive in a spirited manner, so its nice to have fresh fluid.

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative, me too, and I live in the desert. Important to bleed the master cylinder as well if you do it yourself. The factory tool can also bleed the ABS system.

11. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

Brilliant! Thanks gents
    Cheers

12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    First flush was about 1600 miles but not sure if they did a prior bleed so could have been a bit over 2K miles in three years. Second bleed was after only about 1000 miles and one year. I think time is also important so I believe every other annual is sufficient if not driven too hard; otherwise, I would suggest annually. I extended the full service on year three last year so it was free this time around along with the standard oil/filter plus air filters and secondary belt. Brakes are perfect and such a joy to use.