F12 engine replaced | FerrariChat

F12 engine replaced

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by F12lover, May 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    Hello. I am considering purchasing a 2015 F12 that had its engine replaced under warranty. It was a full engine swap. Would greatly appreciate current owners' and other prospective purchasers' opinion and thoughts on whether they would do buy such a car and affect of engine replacement on value. All work was done by Ferrari dealer and car will be covered by CPO one year warranty from date of purchase. Should such a car trade at a significant discount from similar mileage and equipped F12s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    Looking for opinions on buying a F12 that had full engine replaced under warranty. Pricing does not really seem to reflect any significant discount for engine having been replaced. What do current owners and prospective F12 purchasers think about such a car?

3. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    Move on. F12's are fairly easy to find these days at great bargains (depending which market/country you are in).

personally, i would never purchase a car that had a motor swap unless they made me an offer i couldn't refuse.

4. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

I think it would be important to understand why the engine was replaced, and whether the cause may have a impact on the any other parts - transmission etc before committing.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    WTF!?! First I've heard of late model Ferrari with engine swap, but I bet it happens some. FYI this hurts value of vintage and classic era Ferraris because numbers aren't matching any more. I don't see it as a bad thing for the car, maybe a little extra risk dealer didn't put it back together exactly as factory would. There is certainly a "diminished value" that should be built into price. What that is I don't know. I would probably be looking for $50k off price.

6. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    Thank you for the thoughts and advice. I agree that there are so many F12s for sale that is does not make much sense to buy one that has a replacement engine.

7. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Questions:

Does the new engine have any warranty aside from the original factory warranty of three years?

And what about the engine number and chassis number records. How does this swap affect provenance?

8. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    There was no warranty extension beyond normal period and one may still purchase the extended power train warranty. Records seem to reflect that a warranty engine was installed. Still a bit uncertain on that aspect.

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The car might be physically just fine, but the problem as the others have rightly identified is the car will always have a question mark over it. With so many others on the market, I think this will cause it to take a hit in terms of value. If you could buy it for a discount which accounted for more than 100% of this reduction in value, then it could very well be a good buy.