Please share opinions on this FF | FerrariChat

Please share opinions on this FF

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by otakki, May 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    #1 otakki, May 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi folks! I have been looking at this '13 FF and I am hoping you can offer me some opinions.
    Yes, it has mileage of 53,788 miles which is not typical of a Ferrari, but probably not unusual for a DD FF in the long run. It was put in service around 12/2012 so warranty is obviously done.

The high mileage does not bother me because I don't keep garage queen and that's typical of the mileage I would rake up in a similar time frame. Moreover, the mileage appeals to me because I am hoping that most kinks would have been ironed out after this mileage. The latter is especially important since my location is around 5 hrs at highway speed from the nearest Ferrari mechanic. I have been on the fence for quite a while because of my isolated rural location.

It's a one-owner trade-in with clean carfax. It's located at FoSeattle where it was originally purchased and reportedly has all its service done at the same dealership. It's listed for $129.9K. Would the remaining life of the ceramic rotors be a concern at this mileage? What should I be looking for in terms of issues? Any reputable indy Ferrari mechanics around that area that I can contact to do PPI? What are your thoughts on the listed price? What would be a reasonable offer price, if applicable?

I appreciate your thoughts!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I haven't the owner experience to give an opinion about the price/mileage, but I really like the color combo, the black wheels work work well with the darker paint. And the colored CF parts makes it definitely unique.

Is that rosso rubino ?

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Aha. Saw that pop up on cars.com, but no pics when I checked it out. As Olivier said, that colored carbon fiber is really nice. Exterior color is also very nice. Different. There was a thread a while back about rotors and estimates of the price to replace. Definitely get a PPI and if it checks out & your finances are together, go for it.

T

4. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I also thought it's rosso rubino, but I was told it's Rubino Micalizzato. Definitely an interesting, different color combo.

So that's what colored CF looks like...interesting. Sure quite a bit of options on it. I'll have to see which forum I'll need to post to get a PPI done.

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    90k. 120k gets you half the miles if not better.
    the red colored carbon fiber is tacky/gross

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    also i wld find out if that carbon fiber is factory - i know they have done shades of blue but it looks added on.

7. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I can see the reasoning behind $90K...Do you mean aiming at a final agreed price of $90K? If yes, that means the initial offer will need to be even lower than that. I wonder what their reaction will be like when I offer them way more than 30% below the listed price. ;)

8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    If you want the car tell them you are good at 90k and let them decide if they want to sell it. If they counter assess from there but I typically just start with my number and I don't move off it.

9. boiseferrari

boiseferrari Formula 3

Nov 11, 2005
    Boise, Id.
    Full Name:
    Kriss
    I've seen factory carbon in that color. It might have been this car.

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yeh looks like it's noted in the options list but doesn't specify that's it's colored so I'm skeptical

11. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    This is fchat user 'eric' 's car. Search his posts in this forum about the car, he posted quite a bit. Or just send him a PM.

12. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Almost $120k in option so I would say those CF for sure from factory.

Also, I saw the Carfax, 0 service record. If I were buying this car, I would also prepare to spend some good $$$$ on maint, simple repair, etc. In reality, you cant really expect to take this car out without spending anything on top.

For $130k, I would pay another $20k to get something a lot lower miles and better ones.

13. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Keep it coming, folks! I need as much honest opinions as I can get so don't hold anything back. I wouldn't be offended. Like I have mentioned, the main appeal to me on this FF is the high mileage, which is hard to come by. My main goal is not to overpay. As long as it's Fair Market Value, I'm okay. BTW, has anyone noticed any higher mileage FF for sale in the past?

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  15. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Scary to think about, but certainly valid.

Thanks for finding the thread, Tom. I'll need to re-read that thread.

16. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    @ 90k offer I might buy another one just to have two!

17. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The dealer can/should give you the rotor thickness, and the brake pad thickness if you ask.

The Ohio car that was 49k miles was asking 155 and sold for 135 if I recall??
    A LA car with 50k sold for 135 or 140 recently , not at a dealer.

I don't see 90 as making sense to anyone. I would think 115 is a good number, and you can get Power 2 warranty for 6500 a year up to 12 years.

I like the carbon with the exterior paint color, and I don't think at this mileage anything matters except price and condition. Obviously a well optioned car, not very important except to you :)

Is that triple layer? How is the paint? Would be nice for someone to drive it who knows FFs and see if it's still tight. I bet it is :) There was a guy at 70k miles a while back, first owner, going strong.

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Great post. I think warranty can now be extended to 15 years. Is there a mileage limit?
    T

19. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The DCT may be an issue. So perhaps ask about an extended warranty.

Brakes are also expensive. I think you have to weigh CC rotors to know when they need replacement. Pads are measured.

Good luck!

20. islandtrader

islandtrader Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2013
    These cars can do mileage, owner in dc area pushing 100k+ no issues

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

21. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    It looks like this car has been pushed real hard on the track for around 5 days. IMO that's a good thing like a stress test.

I will need to ask them about the triple layer paint...it only says "External Color...364000000 EXTRACAMPIONARIO-NOT STANDARD" on the build sheet. It also says "LUGGAGE SET" on it. What is this "OUTER MIRROR BLACK INSERT?"

So I guess the magic number is somewhere between 90 to 115 as an initial offering, which will most likely get countered. What are the thoughts on the trade-in value of this from y'all? Sure don't want to low-ball it too much.

22. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    Yes, that's my old car. Traded in for a Giulia Ti, waiting for a Quadrifoglio to be built to our spec.

The rotors and pads were all replaced a year or so ago (I can't recall exactly what year we did that cross country drive, but they were repaired in New Jersey at FNA while we played for a few weeks in Europe). I would think with normal use, they'd last nearly forever. You can measure the thickness for a sort of indicator of wear, but more important is heat cycles, and after the rotors and pads were replaced I bought a race car (458CH) and haven't had the FF on the track since. They only went on us because the pad sensors failed to note the worn pads, and scored the rotors.

The red CF is factory. Some love it, and apparently ttforcefed doesn't. :) In person it's stunning, especially in the sunlight, and we love it. I'm not normally a fan of CF in cars except race cars, but I find it less in your face than the stock facia inside the car. It suits us, and that's all that mattered to us when we specced it.

We specced this car to our preferences at the Atelier in Maranello in 2012 and love it. We just wanted something new, and don't have room to keep an extra car. For the money, I was sorely tempted to just keep it forever. I'd feel comfortable thinking I could put another 50K miles on it with just basic maintenance and the occasional gremlin that occurs with limited production cars.

There's a ton of car here for the price. I'd say jump on it if it tickles your fancy. I suspect it won't be available for long. You won't find many cars with this level of performance at this price, at least not for a few more years as they continue to depreciate and gain mileage. I personally would take a higher mileage car with regular and meticulous maintenance than a low mileage car with questionable maintenance and use.

23. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Hi Eric! Thanks for the confirmation. I hope my discussion has not been disrespectful to you or your ex-car. If I have, I didn't mean it and I apologize. I am just trying to find out everything I can before I make the jump. Actually, you are probably one of the best persons to answer some of my concerns. At the same time, it's also somewhat awkward because you were the owner. ;) Feel free to PM me anytime.

Couple of questions:
    1) How did the car end up at FNA in NJ? Wasn't Continental Ferrari the closest? Did the repair involve much more than replacing the rotors and pads? IIRC, the failure occurred in Montana and FoSeattle, FNA, and FoChicago were all involved.
    2) Is it triple layer paint?
    3) Is the luggage set included?
    4) Can you recommend a few independent Ferrari mechanics from the area to do PPI?

I'm definitely with ya on this!

24. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    You're asking good questions. No problems from me.

We had a trip to Europe planned, but wanted to start it out with a drive across the US in the FF. We'd take a couple weeks to get to NYC via the backroads of northern US, spend a few days there, then hop on a jet to Europe and play for a few weeks. Then come back to NYC and drive back home. FNA offered to let us store the car at their NJ facility while we were away, and at the same time swapped out our summer tires for winter tires. We left Seattle in September, and drove back from NJ to Seattle in late November. Actually did need the winter tires on the trip home...

Anyway, in the middle of Montana on our way to NYC, we were planning to head south on some really cool small highways, on a Sunday morning, and on start up the brake light came on. We contacted our dealer (cannot say enough good things about the support and availability of the great folks at Ferrari of Seattle, willing to share their cell numbers with us and help us any time or day of the week) and after much discussions and debate, decided that the car would be safe to drive to Chicago if we didn't use the brakes too strenuously.

They contacted Lake Forest in Chicago and had pads ordered from FNA and ready to install on Tuesday morning. In Chicago, Lake Forest motors had pads ready for us, and on arrival on a Tuesday morning, they had the pads replaced within an hour (another incredibly great crew there who had our car on the rack within seconds of arrival, treated us like royalty and were some of the nicest, most generous people ever). At that point we determined that the rotors were pretty much toasted, but new rotors had to be ordered from Italy, and we were supposed to be in NYC in five days to catch a flight. LF even offered to take the rotors off their demo FF to get us on the road asap. But Ferrari nixed that idea, and said that even though the rotors were scored, the pads would last for another thousand miles.

We dropped the car off at FNA, and flew to Europe. FNA doesn't normally do work on customer cars, but it was there, and so they had the rotors and more new pads shipped and they did the work there. They also did a wonderful detail job on the car, as well as swapping the now worn summer tires for our winter tires. When we flew back to NYC and dropped by the facility, they were so gracious and the car was good as new. Off we went.

Sorry, there's just no way for me to share these stories briefly. It's been an amazing car and given us some amazingly wonderful trips and memories.

Yes, the paint is triple layer: Rubino Micalizatto. We chose this color as it matches the red CF so well. We also had all the grills on the vents painted black by the factory. We had the wheels painted here in Seattle. Even had a metal license plate frame custom painted in the black and Rubino to match.

Yes there's a full luggage set. Used, but in great condition We only used it for road trips, never checked luggage.

I don't think there's a Ferrari tech as well suited to check the car as those at Ferrari of Seattle. Ask them if they'll certify the car Ferrari Certified , or whatever they call it. I know you have and will get much differing opinion about the PPI thing, but for me, it's always worked out well that I've established a relationship with a dealer and they do right by me. They've never cut corners on maintenance of this car. And when stuff has happened on cars we've bought from them in the past, they've always made it right. To me, the relationship with our dealer, and the techs there is the best insurance of getting a good car and having a good ownership experience. But I recognize many will scoff at that.

25. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I always enjoy hearing about wonderful trips like that. It's very kind of you to share them. That was so nice of FNA to store your car at their facility. The northern US, westward from Chicago, is probably the only area in the continental US I have not visited and driven regularly. I sure would love to take such a trip through those states via the backroads. Maybe one of these days...

Indeed, possible conflict of interest precludes using selling dealership's mechanic to perform the PPI. However, the suggestion on CPO the car is a good one and certainly a possibility.