Porsche Makes An FF? | FerrariChat

Porsche Makes An FF?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Need4Spd, Jun 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Be sure and notice the Ferrari spoiler on the back end

Totally unique

lol

2. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
  3. F355GTB

F355GTB Karting

Jul 9, 2012
    Ugly Porsche...

4. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Makes FF and GTC price look a joke, this is a great product.

Lucky for F there is no 812 competitor.

5. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Have you tried one? The first gen Panamera turbo I tried was not better than a Cayenne TTS and couldn't hold a candle to my 12 year old 612...

6. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

Was going to say - it can't be that bad - I'm waiting for my first donkey ever - C4 GTS - I was amazed by its drive, so figured why not - have tried far worst things in life

7. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
  8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I like it. The int of the new Panamera is amazing.

9. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    From the article: "This is a true shooting brake. The Panamera Sport Turismo, no matter how much Porsche wants us to believe it's a shooting brake, is a wagon. Four doors and a large rear hatch do not a shooting brake make."

Indeed, 928 is a true shooting brake. I am so fed up with all this twisted nomenclature in car industry in the past decade, ie 4-doors coupe.

Porsche needs to move the A-pillar rearward (along with the engine) and get rid of the 2 rear doors to make it a true competitor of the GTC4.

10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

I was the opposite. Didn't like it at all. Drove a previous generation Panny 4 as a loaner car, and liked the interior much better. I thought the new interior was too cluttered, too many buttons, poor ergonomics: not what I expect from a Porsche. But, I can see that a typical Porsche customer might disagree with my assessment. I do, however, think the new Panny looks better from the rear than the previous incarnation. As for the new station wagon, can't see advantage of one over an SUV or pickup truck. For the money, I'd get a used FF...T

timjen88 likes this.
  11. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The original Porsche Panamera debuted in 2010, a year before the FF. The Porsche with 4 doors made it easier for 4 people to get in and out, a nice feature in my mind.

Many oher marques have made these types of vehicles, long before Porsche or Ferrari.
    Most completely abandoned them. Why? The SUV and crossover market completely eclipsed the tiny niche which the sporty station wagon/shooting brake market occupied.

12. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Except it's a boring and ugly car that feels it's size and weight. Just get a Tesla if this car is appealing.

13. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Boi, took Porsche 8 years to make a car look right!

14. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Something odd about that brochure. When I saw this Porsche I thought it was really good looking. But the brochure is making me rethink. The roof, waist and sill lines are all too parallel and gives the car a staid look. I can see a lot of reasons why you would buy the Lusso over this, even though, as with the Ferrari, it sits in a market segment on its own without competitors really.

15. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Porsche has decided that in order to best sell the Panamera, they will offer many variants including a hybrid.

It will be interesting to see how successful this approach is.

How many buyers will the Porsche Panamera steal from the GTC Lusso (Non turbo and turbo)?

16. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Hard to see buyers cross shop GTC and Panamera. I wouldn't. Ppl buy Porsche cuz they are reliable and low maint while more fun than the cars in its level, and Ferrari is always an emotional purchase.
    Porsche might take some buyers from used FF and future used GTC market tho.

17. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I think it's the same approach to all other Porsche models. Looks at all those 911 variants. It's a zoo.

18. boostorbust

boostorbust Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    I would have to see it in real life, but I think I am going to like it.

The FF is amazing

timjen88 likes this.
  19. Actualizer

Actualizer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

That's 'zoo' sells mate ! ...and has made Porsche one of the most profitable autocar Marques in the world. 75% of Porsches ever made are still on roads. No company can match such a record.
    I have driven a 991 TTS as a DD for a few years. It's is the most understated perfectly engineered supercar for daily drive. I have searched and searched but no car has held such a claim.
    Last three years Porsche has made more Panameras and SUVs than 991 . That's just delivering to public demand IMHO.
    I would not compare Panameras to Ferraris . Apples and watermelons !

20. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    #21 ingegnere, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Despite a lot of negative comments on this board about the FF (and Lusso) I always found it an appealing and interesting concept. I noted at the time of its original release that I wouldn't be surprised if it spawned a bunch of cheaper copycats, especially from the Japanese. This Porsche is similar but not as sporty, but better than the original Panamera.

BTW, from the link from the OP, I don't know what to say about this pic in particular. I could see that they are targeting a certain audience but OMG it just looks like the car is huge and she might as well be driving from the back seat. Check the steering wheel practically at eye level, LOL.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Are Panameras Porsches ? One thing is for sure they are SUV’s that wear the Porsche badge but have very little or nothing to do with all the sports cars that decade after decade made this brand famous. Mr. Marchione has announced as well a future Ferrari SUV, apparently with Enzo approval after a long chat during a dream. No doubt this future vehicle will sell extremely well because of the cavallino badge but IMO that’s not enough to make it a Ferrari.

22. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I apologize for an unforgivable mistake. When I wrote Panamera I was thinking Cayenne and everything I said is valid just for this model. The new Panamera is in fact a product of the market segment of the FF and according to the reviews seems to be a great product.

23. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Very true!

24. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #25 MarkNC, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    They stole me. I cancelled my order on a GTC4 Lusso and traded both my FF and Audi A8L for the 2017 Panamera Turbo instead. I opted for the regular body, not the Sport Turismo, because I (a) didn't want to wait and (b) the real difference in cargo capacity between the two is pretty small. The regular Panamera is already a hatch back and has more cargo space than the FF.

But the main reason I traded the two cars was to make more room in the garage and have one car that fulfills the role of two cars. The Audi was my "airport" car and comfortable 4 door for when we had to take another couple out for dinner or had visiting executives. The FF was my "snowrari" in that I used it when I wanted to drive a proper sports car but the weather wasn't great for taking something more exotic.

The Panamera Turbo, I reckoned, was going to be sporty enough to enjoy as my bad weather car and comfortable enough to take 4 people around and hold enough luggage to use on long trips. As nobody really gives the Panamera a second look (that turned out to be mostly but not completely true) I wouldn't mind parking it at the airport or taking it to my kids' sporting events (without drawing undo attention) and now I have a really fun drive to/from the airport.

If I had purchased the Lusso I would have had to keep the Audi and, with the massive depreciation suffered by the FF and the new McLaren 720S incoming, it didn't seem like prudent financial decision.

So how did it work out? Wonderfully! The Panamera Turbo (with all the options ticked) is a wonderful car that I'm really enjoying. It's not quite as much fun to drive as the FF was but it's not far off either and the gadgetry in the car is leagues ahead of any Ferrari. With the rear-wheel steering (like the Lusso added) it feels surprising agile and really rotates well around tight corners at speed. The Turbo V8 engine is very powerful (550hp) but doesn't hold a candle to the FF/Lusso's V12 in the power department. If you leave it in auto and use "Sport Plus" however it pretty much equals (minus the top speed) the performance of the FF/Lusso however due to the low red-line and 8 speed transmission the Porsche is far less fun to drive when switching the gears yourself. I find it difficult to judge how many gears to shift down if I want to pass someone on the highway and one downshifts, and sometimes even two downshifts, never seems to make enough difference. That was never an issue in the FF, with the amazingly flexible normally-aspirated V12 with a high red-line, one gear was almost always enough and it was quite easy to judge if you needed two. However if you leave the Panamera in "Sport Plus" mode the car judges that no problem and you have gobs of performance available.

I'm super pleased with the Panamera in terms of it's ability to do the mission well and how surprisingly fun it is to drive. The steering and brake feel (I got the carbon ceramics) on the Porsche are absolutely wonderful too and the seats are very comfortable.

I loved my FF and I'm sure the Lusso is a fantastic replacement. I think Ferrari did an amazing job moving to this format (something with REAL room for 4 adults and their luggage) instead of the less roomy back seats like the 456/Scaglietti and I'm confident some future version of this type of Ferrari will be in my garage at some point. But the new Panamera Turbo is giving me more pleasure simply because I can drive it to more places and use it more often. Maybe once the kids have all gone to college I can indulge myself again but I'm always going to need an airport car so I think Porsche has now reentered my life permanently.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

MB224 likes this.