Considering an exotic | FerrariChat

Considering an exotic

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by sgferrari, Jun 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sgferrari

sgferrari Rookie

Aug 11, 2015
    Owning an exotic has been a life-long passion. At this stage in life, I can buy one. It will supplement my Cayenne Turbo DD. I am planning to stay in 150-200K range. And there are many excellent choices. Mainly considering FF, Huracan, Cali, R8 V10 plus.

FF
    FF meets most of the criteria. Like enjoy the car with family, a massive V12, the sound. Looks is the most difficult part to digest. Recently, went to a Ferrari show and was pleasantly surprised with the looks of White Lusso. I drove a black FF (with yellow calipers) about an year ago. The car looked must better in person than the numerous pics and videos I have seen since then (which dampened the mood). Are there some “colors” that look much better on FF than others? And perhaps Novitec package can make it pretty, would be interesting to hear experiences?

Huracan
    Really looks amazing. Bold color choices. And sounds amazing. But not very practical with 2 seats, low ride height. Can’t enjoy with family.

Cali
    Least preferred option. It has the benefit of a hard top convertible. No V10 or V12. Nice but not amazing looks. Can’t enjoy with family.

R8 V10 plus
    Least preferred option like Cali. Looks nice. Expensive Audi. There is just an entirely different aura of F car.

Intangibles
    This is where I have the biggest challenge. I live in Seattle area where the worlds richest people live. We have a very sober culture. Driving an ostentatious exotic car makes me a bit nervous. Furthermore, I don’t have a big personality. So wonder how it fits with the car. I do know that it has been a personal dream to own one. On the same token, I imagine many affluent people have similar dreams. But we don’t see so many exotics around. Wonder why they hold back?

2. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    If are you considered the R8, Huracan and Cali, you may want to add the 458 to the list. You can easily get a good one towards the upper end of your price range. And it is dynamically superior to all the cars on the list. If you need useable rear seats, the FF is going to be impossible to beat. I have a 458 and I'm looking to add a FF to the stable soon (baby due in December).

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    FF sounds like the one for you. In my opinion, black and white look best on the FF. Dark blues as well IMO. Low key colors to boot. Better yet, find an example with no shields (can an FF be easily de-shielded?). F-chatter ttforcefed has posted pics of his dark blue, no shields FF. Gorgeous!

As for the shape, I view it the way I view my Cali's maligned big butt, meh, can't see it from the cockpit, so who cares! The sound that a Ferrari makes add the rooms is what makes the experience, for me anyway.

Good luck in your hunt. My wife & I are a year into living our Ferrari dream, and it's everything it's cracked up to be!

T

4. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Bill Gates aside I didn't know the richest people in the world lived in seattle...

Unlike an orange huracan, a dark FF won't attract much attention. Only car guys can recognize the premium GT it is...

I think the FF will be perfect for you. Have you also considered an F12 ?

You shoudn't worry about your personnality fitting your car. The only important thing is the pleasure you'll have by owning and driving it.

And in general, enjoy your car, you worked for it, we only live once. As long as you don't terrorize the neighborhood with a very loud exhaust, what other people think of your car shoudn't be that important...

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I would go with a 458. You won't get burned too badly on prices. The quality is good. It is gorgeous and a fantastic drive. I think the FF is too close to your DD. You already have that. The 458 would give you greater variety. Get one in Oliver's preferred grey or my preferred blue and you will be all set. I suggest Blu TDF (tour de france blue).

6. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Make your dreams come true! It is addicting so watch out. I think you should consider the 458. Amazing car, drive a different family car!

7. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Sounds like a low-key FF is for you. As for the shields, I assume they can be wrapped thus make them invisible if you like.

If you are going to pick between Huracan or R8 V10+, go with R8. Both are identical (same turtle, different shell) but R8 is a better car. Better screen and interface inside. More ergonomic and slightly more storage room. Higher top speed--if you ever wanna go there. More usable overall. The only thing Huracan does better is turning heads.

8. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast

Seattle does have legit wealth

Bill Gates (Microsoft)
    Paul Allen (Microsoft)
    Jeff Bezos (Amazon)
    Howard Shultz (Starbucks)
    Boeing Family

Plus huge tech and biotech and all the associated wealth with these companies and other putting huge offices in seattle (google, Facebook) but very true - very few high end cars driven around. Manly high end teslas.

9. ForeverCar

ForeverCar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2017
    There were 1 LaFerrari Aperta, 1 LaFerrari, 1 F12 tdf, 1 599 Aperta, 1 458 Speciale Aperta, 1 250 GTO, and close to 100 total Ferrari showed up at a recent event at Redmond Town Center (east of Seattle). Granted, many of the LE cars belong to the same gentleman.

I daily drive mine (458, now an F12). I have had good luck in Seattle and most people are positive. Go for it!

10. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Move to Vancouver. No one will give you a second glance if you're driving any of the aforementioned. Problem solved.

11. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #11 Brian L, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    You only live once, go for it. Seattle is in a post Grunge green intelligentsia thing. We get it Seattle, Tesla is the future (and you really like coffee) ... and until then ... drive a Ferrari.

The Huracan is cheap on the inside, quick on the track, but not a car for real life. I agree with the 458 or FF post. The FF in black is just weird as it hides the shape, and won't get you haters.

If you can find a FF with no shields it saves you money, like 5 to 10,000. I think it's ugly, but that's taste for you.

I would also not see them as "exotic" that's not right. They are highest quality and for the car lovers only.

12. sgferrari

sgferrari Rookie

Aug 11, 2015
    Thanks for the feedback. I really think FF is the right choice.

This one looks really sharp - black with yellow calipers and beige interior
    Cars for Sale: Used 2012 Ferrari FF for sale in Novi, MI 48375: Hatchback Details - 445599257 - Autotrader

Or this one - Cars for Sale: Used 2014 Ferrari FF for sale in Clearwater, FL 33762: Hatchback Details - 459570602 - Autotrader

Would red exterior or any close variants look good on FF?
    Also, what is a good time of the year to buy, I heard winter months are good.

13. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    FF without a question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

I think the darker reds complement the lines of the FF more than their brighter reds like Corsa. There are a few rubino micalizzato on cars.com you could check out, to see if that is to your taste.

There's a really tasty black over cioccolato, no shields, 2015 at Wide World Ferrari.

T

15. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    FF no question about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Actually Moscow is the city with the most billionaires in the world. Not that it means anything of course.

Anyway, I don't line standing out of the crowd either, but if it's only for pleasure on mountainous roads and tracks go for a flashy car! You 'll be amongst fellow enthusiasts after all.

17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Not really. The Huracan is shorter, lighter, quicker overall and more alert. The R8 is more stealthy and usable.

18. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
  19. sgferrari

sgferrari Rookie

Aug 11, 2015
    Thanks Brian – that car looks very sharp!

Also working with family that we indeed need a 3rd vehicle – to supplement a Benz and Cayenne Turbo. This might be a weekend (Thu-Sun) ride when there is time for fun.

Re colors: I need to get more comfortable with the whole “F” experience. I am leaning towards breaking free of inhibitions and perhaps going big. After all F cars are ultimate machines and evoke passion. I wonder how a dark red exterior color would look. Pictures can be very deceiving. I have seen only 1 FF (Black) and 1 Lusso (White) in person, and they looked phenomenally better than the hundreds of pics and videos.

Any projections on 2014 Model and later prices in the next 6-12 months? In terms of “upgrades”, I like ones with nice wheels, painted brake calipers, pano roof. What other cool upgrades are there? How is the sound system? For reference, I chose Burmester premium sound in Cayenne. It is barely above average.

20. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Indeed. There are so many black FF's. I'd like to guess it's the most popular FF color. I wonder why.

Hey, I thought you like black.

That's what I'd like to know, too. IMO, don't get same color interior and exterior, ie black/black, but that's just me.

21. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    FF. It's amazing. Everytime i drive my father's i have a blast. It's also great that i can put my son in his car seat in the back and he can have fun as well.

It sounds amazing. And it really shrinks as you drive faster.
    Go for it.

22. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    First 3 I wouldn't' do because no LEDs. No LEDs no deal!

23. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    As others have said, definitely FF. Perhaps try find one in TDF Blue or one of the darker reds. Irrespective of colour the FF is an amazing car, I recall one trip I had in the back of one, at 155 mph I was super comfortable and over the mountain passes the FF kept up with much lighter cars.

Of course there is the V12 sound but the true genius of the FF is its versatility.

24. sgferrari

sgferrari Rookie

Aug 11, 2015
    Trying to make an informed assessment of my “ideal spec”. So that I can pull the trigger at the right time.

Exterior color: Some dark color like Red, TDF, Black in that order. This opinion is mostly based on pics and forum feedback. As mentioned earlier, I have only seen 2 FF/Lusso in person (black and white). They looked much better in person than pic. Plus I already have white and black cars already. So, looking for variety in colors.

Interior color: Something light like beige. Red might work with TDF or Black
    Wheels: Definitely need upgraded wheels with painted brake calipers. Yellow and red in that sequence
    Pano roof, LEDs, Contrast stitching, Prancing horse on headrests
    Miles: Preferably 15K or less. 20K max
    Model: 2013 or later
    Price: 150-200K including 9% sales tax
    Timeframe: 3-12 months

Is it fair to assume prices dip almost 8-10%/year?
    Any other options to consider, combos to avoid?