FF/Lusso as GLS replacement | FerrariChat

FF/Lusso as GLS replacement

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by 350MH83, Jun 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Hi All,

I currently own a Mercedes GLS. I have two kids, aged 3 and 5, so the GLS is absolutely great for that. However I am strongly considering switching to a GTC4Lusso. I work in Africa and come back in France only every other month or so, so I dont really want the Ferrari to be the second car, as it means I would basically never drive it. If we go for a Ferrari, it needs to be a GTC4Lusso (or FF) and I want to be able to do everything with it.

The question is... Can the GTC4Lusso really cut it in terms of daily driver for a family of 4? We do still need car seats for the kids... I have seen some pictures with the car seats installed, but I would like some real life feedback of how practical it really is for the kids. I guess most owners also have another family car so the practicality might not be a critical criteria.

If it is just borderline doable, I know the wife is gonna tell me to stick with the GLS.

Your inputs are welcome!

2. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    #2 otakki, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Your need for a GLS instead a GLE or GLC means you might really be stretching it. Even if you don't do your monthly shopping at a location 350miles/560kms away like I do, it might still be difficult to fit everything in. I can get away with it because I don't have kids. As you know, most men can fit a few day's need into a tiny backpack, but it's different when you have wife and kids and they will tote a bags after bags of stuff. Telling them to do otherwise is unpleasant because it usually leads to war. Of course, you can also have those Thule-like box installed at the top via suction cups, as in some pictures I have seen.

Anyway, don't mean to scare you. It really depends on how much of your GLS gets filled up on a typical trip. Show your wife the FF and have her sit in the front and back and make sure you open the trunk and flip down the seats and see what she says--that's what I did. "Ohh, the front and back seats are so roomy and comfortable," said my wife at that time. Maybe you can get the diamond stitching on seats and headliners or whatever to match her bags... If your wife is mad all the time about not having enough room, I'm sure the FF wouldn't stay for long after you get it.

BTW, based on my need to haul lots of things over long distance, this is the only model I can choose in the Lambo/Ferrari line of non-suv cars. Without it, I'll probably be in a E63 wagon.

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Yes it can hold a car seat in the back. But it's a 2 doors and the front seats do move quite slowly. So if you have to get your kid in and out a few times a day, you will get annoyed pretty fast.

If you will only use it with the kids on the week ends, then id say it's fine but if you need to drop the kids every day somewhere, id suggest waiting until you dont need a car seat for them.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I would ask how tall you and your wife are? I sat in the back seat of the V12 Lusso, and with the front seats forward (not all the way, but not all the way back, sort of middle range) it was quite comfy & roomy back there. I am 186 cm tall. So, I would conclude from my experience that your young children can likely fit for a good long while in the back seats when they are no longer using car seats (assuming they or you are not very, very tall).

As to the boot, it was very spacious to me. My wife also eyed it very favorably given her tendency to not travel light! ;) Whether it is enough for a family of four? I cannot say. Is it more capacity than a GLS (which I drove as a loaner while my wife's car was getting new tires)? Likely not.

I am assuming that your desire to own an F-car is that on occasion, with or without the wife, you would leave the kids with a sitter and do some sporty driving on the lovely back roads of France? If so, GLS is not going to do that. I'd test drive an FF with your wife. The big smile on your face when that glorious V12 opens up will win her over! Good luck with the search...T

5. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    Don't even think about it, even two doors will piss you off and strain your back.

6. jnmit12

jnmit12 Karting

Mar 16, 2010
    Texas, France
    Full Name:
    John
    I use my '16 FF as a daily and have 3 & 5 years olds... Now that they are big enough, we use the mi-fold kids seat (small form factor lets them sit directly against the rear of the seat without bulky conventional toddler seats. This also make it easy to fold down the rear seats for extra cargo when they are not passengers. We have other cars, but I could get away with only the FF if need be. As a matter of fact, we used our other FF ('13) as our exclusive out of state ski car all winter for a family of 4 w/ cargo. The smaller child seats really help make it more practical.

7. Bradff

Bradff Rookie

May 26, 2017
    I have 2 kids, currently driving range rover and ff...

The FF is great to drive and have fun.. no doubt about it... but honestly, i would not consider it as a real DD that you can fully rely on it for practical daily usages without any backup. Mine had a recent sensor failure issue that turns on the clutch overheat signal occasionally which is still happening today. I had to have the car checked by dealer and another workshop. At the end, i have been told to just ignore it. The checkup did not cost much but you know the time to take care of this, and the hassles and worry... I am ok to tolerate these as a fun car, but definitely not for a DD.

These minor unreliability issues sometimes put some worry in my mind whether I should put my 2 kids in the back where it's not easy to get out of the car in an emergency. (TOUCH WOOD). Maybe I am just unlucky but I just feel a Ferrari is not supposed to be the only car

8. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Thanks all for your replies. I take it that it is doable but reasonably not practical as a DD... which makes sense. We are visiting the dealer in 10 days with the family and hopefully we will be able to see whether we are ready to drop the GLS for a Lusso. Bradff mentioned another point that is quite sensitive for us (and this might be an issue especially for my wife) which is safety. This has always been a criteria when purchasing our previous cars. We ended up if a very bad crash with our ML last year (I posted pics of it on MBWorld, same username). The car was totaled and that's when we switched to the GLS. But the ML definitely saved our lives. Unfortunately there is very few information on safety for the FF/Lusso. I couldnt find crash test reports... and the GLS comes with all the electronics gimmics that my wife loves (distronic plus, etc...). Anyway, I'm still very sold on the Lusso, but we might keep the GLS on the side.

9. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    I had a huge crash in FF and it got totaled.
    My wife was passenger and she was pregnant.
    You know what? Not a scratch.
    Car took the whole damage.
    Even my trusted 911 turbo back then afew years ago spun out and totaled left me a few marks.

I have absolute confidence FF will save me.

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    using the backseat of the FF is a royal pia.

11. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    I'm glad to hear that! It's definitely going on the list of arguments that I'll show my wife when needed!

We have booked the appointment with the dealer... cant wait!

Thanks all for your replies.

12. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Only if you're too old to get in and out, kids and adults like it. Car seat daily? No.

13. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Good!

Like you, I was doubtful of italian safty but after the crash, it changed my mind.

Situation was like this.

In the tunnel, I was on the far left lane with upcomming traffic.

Suddenly, car from the right lane without signal jumped on to the left.

I had no choice but crash into the left wall, then hitting the car who jumped in the back, then spun multiple times until total stop after hitting right side tunnel wall.

Outside of the car was a mass.

Inside, airbag front and side ones were deployed but mostly intact.

Final result was me, my wife and the driver who jumped on me were all fine.

I thought I lost my baby, and hoped the other driver ok. It looked too bad.

But my wife wasn't bleeding and after check up at hospital, I can rest knowing baby and wife both OK.

Later I found the other driver was also fine. It was his fault after all, but good to hear he is totally in good shape.

14. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    j09333, I'm glad you, your wife and future baby were left unscathed. It sounds like quite a scary experience... Do you have pics of your car after the crash?

15. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    You're just like me. Yes, couldn't find any infos either. They just don't do crash testing on small volume cars like this. I do think about it sometimes. ML is basically a shorter version GL. Okay, I'm going to look for those photos on mbworld. Glad to hear you were all okay.

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    my kids rather take the 500 abarth than getting in the back seat of the ff. back seat is useless for daily needs.

17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    j09333, thank G-d that you were all OK. My opinion is the modern Ferraris (I think really anything from 360 onward) is pretty well built and the newer cars are even better. I think you would be fairly safe in an FF. However, I also think you would be even safer in the aforementioned Mercedes GLS. But, of course, the Mercedes, as nice as it is, is not a Ferrari.

18. Sims123

Sims123 Karting

Sep 25, 2016
    Svizzera
    I use my Lusso as DD and have 15000 km on the clock. Despite some annoying electronical issues at the beginning, the Lusso has been a very reliable buddy. Two things that strike me:

-trunk size is bigger than expected (skiing 2 kids/2 adults) worked. When we drove back with the Cayenne, that trunk Cayenne was at capacity. 3 Golfbag fit as well....

-the Lusso feels always special, even on usual low speed DD driving. With former cars, I questioned myself at times why the heck i spent all the money for just few nice moments on the country side

Deciding if the Lusso fits your needs, ask the dealer for a 3 days trial and you will quickly come the right conclusion.

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    same with FF - i daily drove it for 25k miles and it was a solid as a bmw or MB etc

20. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    #20 twist-a-grip, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Sounds like you're willing to sacrifice a ton of practicality and even a little peace of mind for the Ferrari experience. Do it - YOLO!

21. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Well yes, I believe we are doing it! We are having the appointment with the dealer next Friday, I just need to make sure my wife gets some of the WOW factor, and that will be it! We might keep the GLS for a while, just to make sure we dont need it...