F12 Emergency Lights Under Heavy Braking | FerrariChat

F12 Emergency Lights Under Heavy Braking

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by F12lover, Jun 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    I was driving my new to me 2016 F12 during a 1200 mile road trip earlier this week when I came upon a highway patrol car driving in the opposite direction and running radar. I jumped on the brakes extremely hard and scrubbed off a tremendous amount speed. I was pulled over by the officer. Amongst the various accusations and comments he said when I braked that my front driving lights started flashing and so did my orange front marker lights. He said the flashing lights drew even more attention to the car etc.

So my question is does any one know if there is some sort of safety system built into a F12's software that flashes lights during what amounts to near panic stop etc. I think some Mercedes do stuff like that to warn following motorists. If the F12 has it then it certainly alerted the police to just how hard I was braking when I spotted him and my radar detector went off.

Also, any way to disable such system? I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    you can disable it on the left TFT menu, it's called "Hazard Lights" or "Hazard Flash" or similar. Just toggle on/off.

This has been standard on the F12 since new, and candidly to us it makes sense. Basically the car detects hard braking and uses the flashing lights to warn drivers behind you (who are likely going just as fast but will not be able to brake as fast as you).

While I do often exceed posted limits, i'm driving on the street and the biggest risk is other drivers not paying attention....this helps. Of course, totally your choice.

BTW same menu allows you to deactivate the DRL if allowable in your locale

3. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    Great and thanks so much. I agree it is a good safety feature in most conditions, but not when one is the only vehicle around for miles... other than the police waiting for such a vehicle!

4. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    I had no idea you can turn the hazard flash off! Great info. There are definitely times where i need it to remain off...

5. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Yet again more salient details of Ferrari. I did not know this, thank you for sharing here!

6. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Didn't know there is such a feature. Good to know it can be turned off.

Any police should know it's a natural reaction for one to automatically reach over to step on the brake whenever a police car is seen, whether or not speeding.

BTW, what radar detector are you running?

7. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    Newest Valentine and it is amazing. Paid for itself many times over! Where I was driving, the police tend to run their radar at very low levels so you almost have a visual at the same time the detector goes. Only get an earlier warning if other vehicles around. Sometimes the police have radar turned way up or are actually shooting radar and you can get a very good warning with the Valentine. As for laser, by the time the detector goes off it is too late. It is merely telling you that you have been hit and should be ready to pull over etc.

8. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    BTW, the police took my heavy braking as a sure sign of guilt even though I agree that one's reaction is to often brake when they see police.. although I may consider that a natural reaction after years of speeding!

9. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    That cop you had encountered was quite something...someone who loves to make assumptions. Cops pulling drivers over on an open highway when there is nothing around to endanger is what I call legalized highway robbery. My Redline has also saved me numerous times. Would love to have laser jammer as well.

10. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Is this a ROW car feature or is it on default in N. America ? I don't recall it going off at the track under heavy braking.....

11. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    I believe it's a standard item; it is also standard on our 15 FF

in your case, is it switched on, or off? when we picked up our last few cars, it seemed random if it was activated or not. as stated earlier, we leave it activated....a speeding ticket is cheaper than someone rear ending you in a highway accordion effect! nice thing is you can decide for yourself

12. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I will check the next time I'm out in her. Does it take Full ABS engagement for the hazards to start flashing ?

13. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    we recently had a debate on what the trigger is

we know it's NOT ABS engagement, as we can trigger it without being in ABS

what's unclear if it's one of, or a mix of, pedal pressure, pedal position and/or negative g, and/or any of that as a function of speed

from what I can tell (unscientific experimentation) it's pedal pressure

14. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    i think it's pedal pressure combined with speed.

15. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    What did he get you at? Did you end up getting a ticket?

Jim

16. dantheman0406

dantheman0406 Rookie

Feb 1, 2017
    Thanks, now I know I can turn off this hazard light.

17. Tupps11

Tupps11 Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2009
    Not at all. Just significant deceleration will make the lights flash. I turned it off as soon as i found out i could in this thread.

18. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    How did the cop know that feature and what it means?!

19. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I'm leaving it activated for the very reason you state.

20. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    My 2013 FF has now exhibited this behavior. I never noticed it in the past but I suspect it showed up in a s/w update to the car. Had to hit the brakes hard on a trip to the mountains recently and noticed the left/right flashes firing off...

SV

21. F12lover

F12lover Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2016
    The officer simply said that he noticed the lights flashing (when I braked) and further said the flashing lights caused him to pay even more attention to me. He actually asked why they were flashing and even though I instantly suspected they were part of a "panic stop" safety system etc, I just said I had no clue what he was talking about.

I have turned mine off now and believe me, I would not have buried the brakes and risked a rear ender if some one had been close enough behind me in any event. I was on open roads with no one keeping up to me. I can see the benefit in city driving or congested highway but not when marauding at high speeds on open roads.

22. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Does the function of flashing lights found on both front and rear lights? I can see the utility of rear flashing light. But what's the purpose of front flashing lights other than to warn the car in front about impending rear impact? Other than that, it does nothing other than attracting the attention of speed trapping cops. It will be nice if the programming can affect only the rear lights.