Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > FF/GTC4Lusso/F12/812S

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2017, 08:35 AM
Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Why the reluctance to let people know what you paid for your car?

I never understood this. The actual selling prices is the main leverage that dealers have over buyers. This is particularly true for Ferraris, where so much of the dealing involves used cars.
As I go through the threads, I find the usual suspects claiming to pay 60-70 percent of the asking prices, yada yada.... True or not, I have no clue. And yes, I'm aware that you make an offer and negotiate, etc.

I think that a registry of actual selling prices, along with year, mileage, color, etc. that go into the valuation of cars would be extraordinarily helpful to those of us that are looking.

Thanks,
David

Last edited by deshapiro; 07-17-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 07-17-2017, 08:39 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

What I find more difficult to comprehend is people ordering a Ferrari and not being given a final price until they arrive to pay for it and drive off.

Last edited by 21ATS; 07-17-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:12 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Scraggy
Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ATS View Post
What I find more difficult to comprehend is people ordering a Ferrari and not being given a final price until they arrive to pay for it and drive off.
Guess if you can "afford" 300k you can afford 290 or 315.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:29 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

I think everyone is afraid they paid too much
Old 07-17-2017, 03:53 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Andrew
What I think is strange too is people who post pictures of their cars on here and then when you look at their profiles they have "N/A" for "Personal Ferraris"
Old 07-17-2017, 03:56 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: ROMO
When can we PLEASE see a detailed listing of ALL options other than "other options"...? Ugh!
Old 07-17-2017, 04:22 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Mario
Quote:
Originally Posted by deshapiro View Post
I never understood this. The actual selling prices is the main leverage that dealers have over buyers. This is particularly true for Ferraris, where so much of the dealing involves used cars.
As I go through the threads, I find the usual suspects claiming to pay 60-70 percent of the asking prices, yada yada.... True or not, I have no clue. And yes, I'm aware that you make an offer and negotiate, etc.

I think that a registry of actual selling prices, along with year, mileage, color, etc. that go into the valuation of cars would be extraordinarily helpful to those of us that are looking.

Thanks,
David
After having searched during months through hundreds of different Ferrari cars located in continental Europe, I bought two different used models during a period of one year. During this process I made several short lists of the cars that really interested me, contacted the sellers, enquired about prices and details and requested final discounts. What I can tell you is that the final discounts obtained for the Ferraris I bought were 5% and 8% of the asking price and, for all the cars that interested me, I never had any seller proposing a discount bigger than 15%. I came across several cars where the sellers proposed final discounts bigger than 20% but in all these cases the cars were either aged, had excessive millage or some kind of issue.

May be things work differently in other parts of the world but when I ear someone mentioning that bought a Ferrari for 60 - 70 percent of the asking price I became very suspicious. I recall some stories I read here on FerrariChat about early F. Californias which were bought at bargain prices without an extended warranty and short after the owners were in despair because of transmission issues which costed more than $10 K to repair.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:25 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraggy View Post
Guess if you can "afford" 300k you can afford 290 or 315.
I don't think afford is the issue. I'm guessing most people that are buying 300k cars are reasonably good business people that would spend a lot of time and energy getting details ironed out before shaking hands on a business contract.

What if the car arrives and they suddenly decide to charge you 35k for the "special" leather colour you chose which is really only worth 3k, do you suck it up or tell them you don't want the car?
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 07-17-2017, 08:22 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ATS View Post
I don't think afford is the issue. I'm guessing most people that are buying 300k cars are reasonably good business people that would spend a lot of time and energy getting details ironed out before shaking hands on a business contract.

What if the car arrives and they suddenly decide to charge you 35k for the "special" leather colour you chose which is really only worth 3k, do you suck it up or tell them you don't want the car?

They tell you prices for all special options. At least they have on my builds. But ya you don't get the final price until the car comes in. Kind of weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2017, 09:04 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Patrick Transue
I agree with David that it would be great to have more visibility into actual sales prices, but it is not a simple issue. BTW, I responded to PM requests for what we paid for our FF ($186k) a couple of years ago because when I am a buyer, it helps. I hope others do the same.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:50 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

I recently bought a 456M GTA.
I'm happy to share my market research and sales price. Simply send me a PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:44 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Visibility is great but quite honestly I think what you pay for something is a private matter and I feel no obligation to share what I pay for cars or anything else and have no expectations for others to share either. If I'm buying a used car, I'll do my own research and make my own decisions - for better or worse. If I'm buying a new Ferrari, then I know when I first specify what I want, I won't see all the pricing but I've always had the total from my dealer before I finally committed. Maybe that varies by market?
Old 07-18-2017, 06:31 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDEL View Post
After having searched during months through hundreds of different Ferrari cars located in continental Europe, I bought two different used models during a period of one year. During this process I made several short lists of the cars that really interested me, contacted the sellers, enquired about prices and details and requested final discounts. What I can tell you is that the final discounts obtained for the Ferraris I bought were 5% and 8% of the asking price and, for all the cars that interested me, I never had any seller proposing a discount bigger than 15%. I came across several cars where the sellers proposed final discounts bigger than 20% but in all these cases the cars were either aged, had excessive millage or some kind of issue.

May be things work differently in other parts of the world but when I ear someone mentioning that bought a Ferrari for 60 - 70 percent of the asking price I became very suspicious. I recall some stories I read here on FerrariChat about early F. Californias which were bought at bargain prices without an extended warranty and short after the owners were in despair because of transmission issues which costed more than $10 K to repair.
The typical discount we see in our market for Brand New or slightly used (low mileage) cars is between 5-9%...depending on your relationship with the dealer.

If you buy second hand from private sellers, you can get a much higher discount. Just get on www.mobile.de and you will notice used F12's going for almost 100k euros less than what their owners paid a couple years back.

North American market is way different though. The prices i see dealers charging customers for new and used cars are shocking. Much higher than this side of the pond.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:37 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Mario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupps11 View Post
The typical discount we see in our market for Brand New or slightly used (low mileage) cars is between 5-9%...depending on your relationship with the dealer.

If you buy second hand from private sellers, you can get a much higher discount. Just get on www.mobile.de and you will notice used F12's going for almost 100k euros less than what their owners paid a couple years back.

North American market is way different though. The prices i see dealers charging customers for new and used cars are shocking. Much higher than this side of the pond.
The range of discount you indicate as being practiced on new and low mileage cars confirms the empirical feeling I have. I already bought in Germany two Ferraris from the same dealer which is also an official seller for the brand, and on the second one I got a better discount because I became to know the people. Concerning the F12 I've followed many available cars in Germany during several months, and the prices of the best ones with low mileage, above average extras and nice colors, never dropped. Beginning of this year some of this top F12's available were sold as soon as they were adverted and I was lextremely lucky to be able to buy one of the best in the market.