Shields effect in pricing | FerrariChat

Shields effect in pricing

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Brian L, Jul 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The most savvy guy doing exotic leasing in So Cal said on a 458 recently there was a $40,000 hit (20k at 2 dealers) to move a car with no shields.

He agrees with a value of $10,000 at the least on an FF w no shields.

2. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    There's definitely a larger market for those that want shields than the opposite. Not surprised.

3. Replevin

Replevin Karting

Oct 29, 2014
    Washington, DC
    I heard from a friend of a friend (of a friend of a "high-end" car dealer) that the homelink hit is $65k.

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002

I heard it was 75k. And if no homelink and no shields the car actually carries negative value

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Shields, homelink and stop-start FTW.

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Very funny about homelink.

I am sure someone could quantify it. I can't put an exact number on it, but my experience in trying to sell a 599 without shields was the lack of shields simply meant I lost potential buyers who would say things like "But it doesn't have shields". I think some of this was just a strategy to get me to lower the price- which I did not take- but if you think about it- if you hear this over and over and over, you will either continue to sit with the car you want to sell or you will lower the price. So my thought is no shields when it comes time to sell = you need to be prepared to be patient or be prepared to drop the price a little bit. My wild guess on trying to quantify it is something like $5-10k if there are other attractive cars out there. If you have a more rare car, then I think it really shouldn't matter. As a Ferrarista, I think many cars look better without the shields (the 599 being one of them)- but this is the marketplace.

7. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    From my own experience, in the U.K., not having shields only had a small financial cost but it had a long time cost trying to find that individual who saw the aesthetics the same way, that the car looked better without them. None of the potential buyers who wanted shields would have bought the car unless they were given a really substantial discount, even then I suspect they would have refused, preferring to wait for the car with shields as it seems very important to some people. It appeared to me in the U.K. that shields are now almost mandatory, people seem to want to flaunt the fact they have a FERRARI! and maybe don't appreciate subtlety, especially with V8 models.

8. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Sadly , it looks like "badge mania" has now infected the UK from the US.

I, too, prefer subtlety and no shields. However, the resale situation with lack of certain options certainly is something to think about. Of course, now I have discovered using the darkest window tint to darken the shields...:)

9. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I had a look around and if the information I collected is correct the first Ferrari to wear the fender shields was the racing model 500 F2 (1951). The first formula 1 to wear them I presume was the model 553 F1 (1954). The first sports car to have fender shields I think was the model 250 MM (1953) which won the Mille Miglia. Concerning the production cars my guess is that the first one to have shields was the 365 GTC4 (1971) but I might be completely wrong and if this is the case please correct me.

10. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    NO 250 Mille Miglia ever won the Mille Miglia.

Sorry to disagree. You probably mean 365 GTC/4 #14419, originally owned by Pininfarina SpA. President Sergio Pininfarina added a yellow Ferrari sticker to the front fenders, but that wasn't done by the Ferrari factory.

Marcel Massini

11. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thank you for the clarification.

12. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
  13. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
  14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Start-stop?? Would pay extra to avoid it.

15. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I saw that car last year when it was also up for sale again with Lovetts. First owner was a well known British motoring journalist who likes to go sideways rather a lot. Put me off the car a little!

16. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Won't hurt anything, that's how it's meant to be driven :)

17. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    #17 Eilig, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If I may add a counterpoint: If the general aesthetic of the car's overall spec supports not having shields, it may also create less of a "negative value." For example, my Grigio Ferro Speciale has grey wheels, CF center caps, grigio brake calipers, and no shields. With zero yellow on the outside of the car, it creates a very stealthy look. I've had quite a few people comment in a POSITIVE manner that my car has no shields. Most agree that shields would have spoiled the "look" of this particular car. Well of course, none of them were potential buyers, so who knows for sure....

I've always taken the approach of spec'ing the car for what I want/like, not for what the NEXT GUY may want/like... But then again, I rarely sell any of my cars, so for me it doesn't matter much.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Griffon83

Griffon83 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2016
    Greece
    Full Name:
    Nassos
    CF shields also are amazing and certainly don't stand-out screaming "I AM A FERRARI!" like with the yellow ones.

19. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    My F12 is Grigio Ferro with grey wheels and black calipers and has the yellow shields. When We look at it from the side what we can see are the two yellow caps on the ends and the shield more centered and to my taste these three yellow tiny focal points within the large Grigio surfaces enhance the lines and are pleasant to the eye.

20. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    How about some photos.....

21. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Nice Speciale! Everyone ends up making their own opinions.

My opinion is if you do shields you have to do the original factory look of the yellow background with the black prancing horse. The yellow is the color of Modena. Thats just my opinion. Id feel the same way if you did the same thing to the hood badge. Or wrote
    "Ferrari" in a different font. I do believe the Factory would not let people spec the 599 GTO nor F12tdf with CF shields for this reason, but then I think some people got them after the fact. Just like black wheels, its not for me. Everyone has their opinion though.

The start stop system- HELE is the official lingo- yes, I would not want it either, but I hear some of the associated electronics (alternator?) are of a higher quality. And I wonder if some city areas are now mandating it? I ordered my car without it, but I think this is going to be forced upon us at some time soon. I hope Ferrari gives us a way to deactivate it!

22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Doesn't matter if the alternator or starter is stronger. No way can it make up for the electronic heat cycling and mechanical wear of having to re-start after every single stop. You could theoretically do many months worth of wear in a single day if you got caught in traffic and no way to deactivate. Couldn't believe it was for real until the car next to me kept re-starting at every light. A most ignorant feature in every single way.

23. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    #23 MDEL, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I can't wait to order this colour for my Lusso - wow! Just pure gunmetal awesome! I will add the poppy yellow breaks and shields because I think it needs as a GT but your stealth concept here worked out so nicely! Beautiful.

25. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Wow.. so nice, now you got me thinking of maybe keeping my Lusso's brakes black and keeping the centre points on the wheels yellow only. Decisions..!!!