Is Men's Warehouse a good place to buy a suit? | FerrariChat

Is Men's Warehouse a good place to buy a suit?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Aaya, Sep 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    I'm looking to buy a suit and frankly, I've never been through the process before. Is Men's Warehouse in general a good place to look? They had suits that looked nice (to my untrained eye) for $200-$400 and I was thinking about picking one up. Advice?

2. pyroguy

pyroguy Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2006
    Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I buy quite a few business clothes and some casual clothes there also. I do most of my shopping with the wife so that helps. SHe says I would need "grr-animals without her! You need to go in with some idea of what you want. Otherwise they tend to start throwing a lot of extras at you.
    I'm in Minnesota so they tend to be less pushy that other areas I've been to in the states.

If you travel out of the country, especially to Asia, getting high quality custom clothing is pretty easy in the shopping districts.

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Not bad, not great but you're gonna like the way you look! I GUAR-AN-TEE it!

4. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Whatever you do, don't go with a 3-button. I personally refuse to wear anything less than 2-buttons, 2 vents, narrow lapels.. european look.

5. consigliere

consigliere Karting

Sep 1, 2008
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You can do better than Men's Warehouse if you're at the 400 dollar range. If you can go to a Nordstrom Rack or a Saks Off Fifth, or a Barney's outlet store, etc., you can do much better.

And I disagree with the 3-button analysis. I like 3-buttons. Just a personal preference. If this is your first suit, I'd get a black or navy one, to start.

Best of luck . . . MARK.

6. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    Twice a year Nordstroms has a huge mens sale and I would go there. You're going to get much higher quality and name brand. You should be able to find plenty in that price range during the sales.

7. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    My advice...don't buy the $200 suit at the mens wearhouse. Poor quality fabric and construction. I have a couple of suits from them that were in the $500(ish) price range that seem to have worn pretty well. Currently I spend a little more and buy my suits from the Brooks Brothers 1818 line ($1,000ish) and really like them. I will admit that I was tempted by their Golden Fleece herringbone stripe suit the last time I was in the store, but it was almost double the price of the 1818 line.

8. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Not going to argue regarding the 3-button (as it is subjective.. BUT unless you're still stuck in the 90's, you should avoid 3-button suits like the plague - they look horribly out of style), but PLEASE do not get a black suit if the primary purpose of this suit is business related. Dinners, charity functions, and funerals are the only time a black suit should ever be worn.

9. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Maybe you mean more than 2 button.

Personally my closet is full of 2 AND 3 button jacketed suits. I go with the single vent in the back of the jacket mostly, but I do have a few double vented suits also.

10. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    I was using the phrase in a different context. I place 2-button, dual vent suits at the top of my list, so when I say I refuse to wear anything less, I mean I won't wear 2-button single vents, 3-button, etc. Again, it's completely subjective...

11. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

I don't much like their dress shirts...I bought some sport jackets from them when I started selling real estate. So so. Graduated up to Hart Schaffner Marx and Jos. A. Bank sport jackets/suits when Dillards and JAB have sales. I haven't been in a MW in about 2 years.

RMX

12. elpadrino

elpadrino Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2005
    Bogota NJ
    Full Name:
    Gabriel
    I just picked up a 3 button charcoal with white pinstripe suit ! I thought it looked good and at work im usually complimented on being the better dressed one but perhaps im wrong maybe its just in my own office haha. Im not usually one for fashion but Wheres the spot to get this news Im 23 and moving away from the T shirts,jeans, and sneakers - Ive recently started to get more dress shoes casual slacks and button downs....

Not to hijack but I think the overall info of where to stay on top of Mens Suit trends will benefit everyone. Jason Statham usually has a great looking suit on in his films (Bank Job most recently he had a killer suit on with a slim Black Tie)

13. Bluehinder

Bluehinder Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2005
    Colorado
    +1.

14. TravisJ

TravisJ Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Travis
    I agree that black suits have very little utility. I don't even think you can pull off black at a dinner or charity function. Funeral = black suit

15. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Such an outfit makes it easy for us to spot the Americans in the crowd.

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I bought a navy 3-button suit from Macy's last Monday for $230 after taxes. It's being adjusted to my size right now, but I wasn't looking to spend $1,000 on a suit elsewhere. This is just something I would use a dozen times at most in my life. If I buy another suit, it would be from Hong Kong. :) I don't understand the hate for 3 button suits.

17. consigliere

consigliere Karting

Sep 1, 2008
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Good look, El Padrino. I like the charcoal / white pinstripe combo. I have a couple myself, and always get compliments. Even from prosecutors. And that's saying a lot for a hardcore, scumbag defending criminal lawyer!

I was wondering what the guys thought about wearing cufflinks. I like them personally, but would love to hear opinions.

M.

18. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You should try the MW 'custom fit' line. You have to wait a couple of weeks for the shirt, but it will be EXACTLY what you want as you choose the style of the shirt, the collar, the pleats, the cuffs, the pocket, the placket, the material, the colors. I have 5 or 6 and I love them. When I start cycling dress shirts I will go back and replace all my shirts with these.

Most of the shirts that I wear with suits have french cuffs so I am a cuff link fan. Just bought some Carbon Fiber cuff links that I have been getting loads of compliments on.

19. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    I have been there several times, and have never found anything that I like, Used to buy a lot from a store named SYM'S .. Syms.com, but they moved out of Ohio, not sure if they are in Baltimore, check their website. Department stores have great sales from time to time, Macy's had a suit sale a few weeks ago and I picked up a $595 Hart Schaffner Marx suit for 40% off, about $360...

20. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Jos. A. Bank you can do the same. Pick the cuffs, collar type, etc. I find their shirts to be very well constructed for what they are.

I'm thinking of ordering myself some monogrammed shirts. Where do you think monograms look best, on the pocket or the cuff?

RMX

21. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I wear french cuffs as often as possible. I don't have the patience to download my cuff link collection details here, but they are a lot of fun and, often, a conversation starter.

22. elpadrino

elpadrino Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2005
    Bogota NJ
    Full Name:
    Gabriel
    Funny you say that cause Im ecuadorian - Dont think Yacht Dockers and sweater over the shoulders look ....but more Slip on dress shoes, slacks with Wide Pinstripe or a solid color and a nice either printed shirt or colored dress shirt (something that youd wear under a jacket or dress as business casual-

Ive been wearing suits and ties for so long now its actually comfortable for myself where some people cant wait to get out of it...

About 50% of my shirts have French cuffs - love the look, I try to get cufflinks that go with the ties to kind of bring it all together.

23. Buzz48317

Buzz48317 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Shelby Twp., MI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'd do cuffs on barrel cuffs but pocket on french...lot going on with cuff links you know.

24. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    #24 ND Flack, Sep 11, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
    I've never really understood the monogramming on a shirt - what's the idea there? Certainly not criticizing - buttons are just as functional as cufflinks (/more so), but I'm typing in french cuffs as we speak...

As for the Men's Warehouse, I tend to agree that if you dont need it this weekend, you can often find very high quality merchandise at steep discounts if you're willing to wait till the end of season sales.

25. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    Mens wearhouse is lowzy,

For european cut your selection is limited for modern obese trend anything goes.lol

Sometimes Nordstrom rack has some good find but rare.