Rolex Submariner wholesale prices & what is my current Rolex worth | FerrariChat

Rolex Submariner wholesale prices & what is my current Rolex worth

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by RobertM, Jul 29, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    Rolex Submariner wholesale prices & what is my current Rolex worth

I am looking at getting a pre-enjoyed Rolex Submariner and would appreciate if someone could respond with the current wholesale value of the timepiece from 2001 to 2010. You can PM me if you would like vs. responding to this thread.

I am looking at trading my watch in or maybe selling it and wonder what it is worth
    2002 / Rolex / Date 34 mm / model 15210 SS black face with silver stick / oyster band / engine tuned bezel / I am the original owner and have the box, papers, and tags.

2. fivesix

fivesix Formula 3

Nov 12, 2006
    Brisbane/Toowoomba
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I am currently in the market for a no-date sub, but don't mind what model. 5512 would be nice, but not yet! :p

Just keep an eye on TZ and other watch forums, there are some good value ones out there.

3. Giovanni_P

Giovanni_P Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    MetroWest, MA
    Full Name:
    John Pelliccio
    I've been surprised at how the lower-end rolex "tool" watches (submariners and explorer I/II's) have tanked value-wise in the last few years. The conventional wisdom on places like Timezone.com had always been that if you bought a rolex, you would be able to sell it for about what you bought it for, and the only thing you'd be out was the time value of the money sitting on your wrist versus in the market or at the bank. This was largely because the styles stayed constant through the years, and Rolex very carefully controlled dealer pricing to keep the secondhand market stable.

Now, though, I'm tracking white-face explorer II's (one of my personal favorites) and seeing them routinely trade in good condition for $3100-$3300 versus a list price just south of $6k. Previously recession-proof, these watches are feeling the pinch too!

Gio P

4. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #4 chrmer3, Jul 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
    your 34mm date is worth around $1700-$2000 + or - a tad- tough sell not many people want that size. with the 16 series 36mm datejusts going low-mid 2's for excellent examples it forces you down..

Sub 16610 SEL A9-Y8 around $3700 Y9-M around $4100 16610 L-A8 around $3200 (U7-forward luminova)
    step up & get a seadweller (model 16600) around $4100-$4500 finds good examples on this much cooler model (my opinion) everyone either has a real sub or a fake sub- get a seadweller & you are in a different class of watch owner..

No date 14060 around $3000

168000 around $3800

16800 around $3100
    matte dial add $800 approx

5512's around $5500
    5513's around $4500 deduct $1200 for gloss or service dial
    ADD $1000++ for gilt dial

1680's around $5000
    1680 red around $8000

1665's around $10,000

Those are ballparks but about what the numbers are now..Of course condition/original dial & hands/polishing/box/papers all effect of these numbers//
    Its a general ballpark answer to your question. Yes I am an expert :)

5. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    thanks guys,
    I appreciate the info. I ended up with a m series sub and traded in my watch. Not a bad deal from what I see.

I also had them polish the center link ( I know, I know) but I like the look and I can always have it reversed.

6. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Interestingly enough, we are in Miami on vacation and I was offered the new 2010 Submariner today at list-$7250. First one I have seen. A little different, more square looking, but still kind of plane. It has ben eating at me all day but I think I will go back and get it in case one of my friends really wants one. This AD said it would be sold by the end of the day-maybe- and they were going to be very desirable and rare for awhile.
    Any thoughts?

7. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M

FYI
    Mayors in the Boca Raton Town Center has the new one at $7 250. They said no problem getting them

8. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think this is partially a function of widespread consumption. I see Submariners all over these days (two this morning on a short subway ride).

9. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober

Thanks. The salesman told me they expected the submariner to be as desirable and collectible as the Daytona. After seeing it I was doubtful. Looked plain to me.

10. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    lol, ask them how the SS/Platinum 40mm yachtmaster model 16622 worked out..
    or the 50th anniversary "limited edition" green bezel sub.. I use the term "limited" loosely ;)

I was actually offered a SS daytona NIB from a AD for a tad OFF list not too long ago, I pssed because there was NO money left in it.. The days of the 116520's being 2-3000 over list are long gone...along with the 14k dow ;)

Let me ask you this, the revised Submariner is now totally different than virtually its inception. OK you could argue the first few years had no crown guard but after that- other than incremental changes over the next 40+ years it stayed virtually the look of a ... Submariner.

I do not like it. But thats me & we are all entitled to our opinions... Just like the new deep sea.. Take the $7-9k for either the new deep sea or sub & buy a Red sub (1680 red submariner) from the very early 70's.. your investment will grow & you will not be a "wanna be" but rather an intelligent buyer- gaining money while you wear it. ;)

11. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    Looking for one of these... if anyone has a line on a nice one (95% condition or better + box + papers), please let me know!

12. Lagerlout

Lagerlout Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    West Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Mr. LL
    Odd. Very different market here in the UK, mine is a couple of years pre new ceramic and I've been offered much more than I paid for it new.

13. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Like your Ferrari dealer's "list" which queues their most valued customers' procurement of new vehicles, the Rolex AD lists for SS Daytona and Milgauss GV evaporated with the global economy. My local AD has been able to acquire any model desired for the past two years.

Also like a new Ferrari, no new Rolex will be an investment. They are brilliant luxuries that are to be enjoyed, but don't rationalize that they will maintain or increase in value anytime in your life.

14. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    #14 enzo thecat, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010

I bought my first Rolex (18K/SS Submariner) BRAND NEW for $4100 in 2002. (St. Thomas Virgin Islands at a Rolex dealer. Its worth more than that now used.

Same with my Yachtmaster (new 2004 i think) . Same with my Daytona (new 2007).

15. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    Can you explain please?

Jay

16. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    I have a GMT Master II my father bought me as a graduation present in 1991...he paid $2500 from a Dealer. When I called a local dealer to find out about current value (to update my insurance), I was told used it's worth around $5000. Replacement cost, which is how my insurance company works, is around $7000 due to the new ceramic models.

On the other hand, a friend of mine has a Datejust, probably around 15 years old. He had the Rolex dealer change the face which now has diamonds. His ex wife paid $5000 and he was offering it to me for $2500 since he never wears and is a reminder of his ex (he hasnt worn it in 12 years). When I started calling around, I was told the face change lowers the value and $2000 would be a good price. I always thought Rolex's held their values...guess not.

17. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    #17 nerd, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
    We all need to cling to our rationalizations; I've got mine, you clearly have yours!

As Gil notes, there is a huge gap between what someone is willing to pay YOU for your watches and retail, replacement value, insurance value, book value, etc.

Sure, you would have to pay more to buy your watches today, but a "good investment" implies the ability to readily sell an asset for more than you paid. Thus, my proposition that like a new Ferrari, no new Rolex will be an investment.

18. sailquik

sailquik Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    In a temperate zone
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Sorry to turn this into the "ask an expert thread" but I'm curious.

I have a submariner that my dad gave me as a high school graduation present in 1984. He had already owned it for a few years.

Every five or so years I send it in to the dealer, who supposedly sends it of to NY or something and charges me an arm and a leg to change the glass because it scratches rather easily. The glass sticks out from the bezel a bit, unlike the new ones which are flush with the bezel, which probably makes it even more scratch prone. Last time I sent it in, it was because the bezel ( the round thing that turns around the glass ) fell off while windsurfing so I had it replaced. Everytime I take it in, they want to change stuff like hands, which look fine to me, but they say they are in need of replacement.

Questions:

Should i be telling them not to replace things that don't seem to be broken? Should I assume they're just padding the bill? From what i've read on this thread it might not be a good idea to replace these old parts with new ones?

Back in the day this was a production watch and I never thought of it as some limited edition thing I should take special care of, other than the sentimental value it has for me. In fact, i wear it surfing, windsurfing, working on the cars or the house, etc. I'm not screwing up some antique, am I?

The band got replaced a couple of years ago, because the original band was all bent out of shape and I don't like the new one (it seems flimsier and lighter). Are the old style metal bands still available somewhere?

19. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    One of the best Rolex resources on the web: http://www.rolexforums.com/

20. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    I was refering to the second half of your post : "... but don't rationalize that they will maintain or increase in value anytime in your life."

Mine have maintained and even increased in value in a few years. I dont think they are good investments at all. There are a lot better ways to invest money....but then again, I lost my butt on BP stock.

21. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Where can I get a new SS white face Daytona for list?

Thanks

22. Jess///M

Jess///M Rookie

Dec 27, 2011
    Great info! I am looking at the Submariner (in stainless steel with the green ceramic bezel and green dial) as well as the new Yachtmaster II (rose gold and stainless steel) and was wondering what the wholesale prices are. They retail for about $8500 and $25000, respectively. Thanks!

23. Mike J

Mike J Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Ship Bottom, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You probably can't.

Unless you have a strong relationship with an authorized Rolex dealer it is highly unlikely you will find a new SS Daytona at MSRP. Typically, these are reserved for the dealer's best customers and will be offered to them first.

24. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thats funny - That post was a year ago and I was just looking at the watch section randomly, looking down at my black faced Daytona it's 10:26. I forgot that I posted that, but thanks!

25. Mike J

Mike J Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Ship Bottom, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Wow, I didn't even notice the date.

Happy New Year!