vintage watchs? breitlings? | FerrariChat

vintage watchs? breitlings?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Carsonp, Apr 14, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
  2. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I don't know much about vintage Breitlings ( I do have a modern one though), but I have a buddy that wears a few vintage watches (he has a couple vintage Ulysse Nardin's and a few Longines 40+years old). The key thing to remember is that many of these watches are way less than 40mm. I know in photos etc. the watch might look large, but when you get it home and find out it is only a 34mm or smaller case it is sometimes a shock especially given the giant wall clocks people wear today. Besides that aspect these watches have a lot of character, are conversation pieces, and timeless (no pun intended).
    Erik

3. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    interesting. They do not give measurements on a lot of them.

Thanks

4. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Vintage watches are like vintage cars, get a good one and you'll have no problems, get a bad one and you'll be disappointed. My daily watch is a 1967 Omega Speedy, I have never had problems with it. I have other watches but I honestly can't remember the last time I wasn't wearing my Omega. Erik is right about older watches being smaller, some are tiny by today's standards.

My advice is decide on one you like, do a bit of research into the model differences and speak to a vintage watch dealer. Try and get one with original parts, strap/bracelet and boxes. But most of all don't buy a cheap one buy a good one. Happy hunting :)

5. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    #5 definitelysomeday, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
    That Breitling has about a 35mm case. Somewhat small. The movement is a generic Venus, which is par for the course with Breitling's of that era.

You can definitely wear it every day, just know it is not anything close to water resistant. So be careful when washing your hands.

Parts for the movement, if they break, will not be terribly difficult to come by. The crown will be a bit harder, but not impossible. The hardest to replace will be the chrono buttons. So make sure they are in good nick before pulling the trigger on the watch. Make sure you know of a good watchmaker that has experience working on old chronographs. Your garden variety jewelry store watchmaker is probably not your guy for the job.

The hour and minute hands do not look original. Not a big deal, but it matters to some.

At $1300 or so, it is reasonably priced. 1944 is a very early version of the watch.

NEVER have the dial refinished.

6. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    The second one is fake, not 100% on the first one. Be VERY careful as there are a ton of really good fakes out there. Best place to learn is www.breitlingsource.com on the vintage forum.

7. iamthesimpleone

iamthesimpleone Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #7 iamthesimpleone, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Been wearing this for years. My dad had it sitting around for at least 20 years. It's never been cleaned. The watch strap is off a Mikey Mouse watch. looses about 4 or 5 seconds a day. Not bad at all :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #8 tazandjan, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Carson- I still use my father's 1956 Breitling Navitimer, but you have to realize they are neither dustproof nor waterproof, so be careful with them. Mine has a modern pilot band on it, although I do have a black leather Breitling band like those originally fitted.

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Old thread, but I'm in the market for a vintage watch, and with regard to safety you'll want to read up on the radium-based paints that were used into the 1960s to create the glow-in-the-dark effect on sports watches.

There are opposing schools of thought on whether these are safe, and also whether it is better to leave them as is (to preserve originality and value) or to re-lume with modern, non-radioactive materials.

10. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Old thread, but a good thread. I'm surprised that more people didn't post on it originally.

Yes, vintage watches tend to be very small in size compared to modern watches.

Also, anyone used to mineral or sapphire crystals be surprised at how curved the domed surface is, along with how scratch-able acrylic crystals are.

Definitely look at them in person.

Matt