How do I distinguish a REAL Ferrari Watch from a fake? | FerrariChat

How do I distinguish a REAL Ferrari Watch from a fake?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by GrayTA, May 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I am starting to look at Ferrari Watches again. Last time I bought one it turned out to be a fake. Its still a great looking watch, but I dont wear it because I know its fake. It was given to me as a fathers day present a few years ago. My wife has, of course, given me the go ahead to sell it if I want, but I havent because I want to replace it first.

This brings me back to my question though as ebay seems to be the best/easiest/cheapest place to find one. I dont mind used if I get a good deal on it. I am thinking in the $4-500 range for one of the lap time or chronograph watches or similar. I just dont want to get burned buying the wrong watch again. Is there a reference page for questions like this? Or something to specifically search for?

I have seen some of the older Girard Perregaux watches for relatively cheap (sub $200 range) but that raises the question - is it real? I dont know the market for these as well which compounds my lack of knowledge.

There is a distinct possibility that in the near future I may be away from my car and everything Ferrari for an extended period of time and I want to have a watch I wear all the time to keep it close to me. :)

PDG

2. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #2 Martin308GTB, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
    GP in the $ 200 range can't be real. The lower range 8020 - like mine in the other thread for example - is in the EUR 2000,-- range over here. But these are mostly watches, which have never seen any maintenance during the past 15 years and will probably need a thorough rebuild. This means, that for ~ EUR 3.500,-- you can get a genuine, perfect working and nice looking GP.
    No Tourbillon or 'haute horlogerie' of course, but a fairly rare chrono from one of the oldest watch manufacturers.
    BTW; but this is my personal taste; The low range 8020 with their discreet or restrained design are the most beautiful GPs. Apart from the fact, that the partnership with Ferrari ended some years ago, their current range doesn't meet my taste. It's a pity, but they seem to build watches for the near East and Far East market, where there are different preferences than in Europe.
    Besides this, they seem to be in economic trouble. I was very surprised to see, that they weren't present on this years biggest european watch and jewelry fair in swiss Basel. ( Baselworld 2012 ).

Best Regards from Germany

Martin

3. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
  4. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG

I would appreciate that. I am definitely looking at the Ferrari store as a reference.

I also need to send you my two watches to get them fixed... I keep meaning to do that, but have been too busy at work.

Thanks for your input.

PDG

5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    i would agree that it would be very hard to find a GP ferrari watch for under $2K.... or $1.5K.

6. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    I believe GP showed at SIHH this year instead of Basel.

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    if it's based on a Fiero, it's not a real watch.

83911SCDrew likes this.
  8. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    I have seen two vintage GPs refaced as Ferrari watches. They used real GP base stainless models and then the case backs were stamped with a Ferrari logo. They had real GP movements and cases, just not "real" Ferrari watches.

9. BAKY

BAKY Formula 3

May 23, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Bobby
    How do I distinguish a REAL Ferrari Watch from a fake?

The real one has the $10k service. LOL

kestrou and 83911SCDrew like this.
  10. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
  11. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
  12. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Not a watch ever made as far as I know...

38mm wears REAL SMALL ... might want to check one out- even the real Ferrari GP watches wear very small- the Ferrari/Panerai watches are much, much larger- if you go for that thing.

post a pic of any of the Panerai watches you're looking at- I'll bust it if it's fake. ALL fakes are wrong in some regard- the newer ones are remarkably good- but none are perfect.

13. HOBE456

HOBE456 Karting

Apr 27, 2012
    Hobe Sound, FL
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If you purchase through PayPal, they warranty most purchases up to $50,000.

It works, I bought an Omega, supposedly as new, never worn, etc. When it arrived it was obviously a used and filthy scratched watch.

I contacted Paypal and was instructed to ship the watch back to the seller. Get a receipt for delivery and they would refund my purchase price including shipping.

I did and they credited my account immediately.

I never hesitate to buy expensive items on Ebay.

14. HOBE456

HOBE456 Karting

Apr 27, 2012
    Hobe Sound, FL
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Forgot to add, I always check the sellers ratings.

If there are alot of negative ratings, I almost always pass, no matter
    how good the deal looks.

You can tell by the sellers responses to the complaints who is full of s..t.

15. Epistello

Epistello Rookie

Jan 30, 2013
    Washington
    #15 Epistello, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am thinking about buying this one for a reasonable price but I was wondering if any of you could tell if this is a genuine watch. I can tell that it is older and I can see that that would be reflected in the price but is there anything else I should think about? Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #16 ylshih, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    Well, it looks fake to me. The logo looks like crap. The dial face looks like crap. There's no country of origin on the dial face.

Is it quartz or mechanical? What vintage/year is it supposed to be?

What else would you like to know?

17. Epistello

Epistello Rookie

Jan 30, 2013
    Washington
    That was very helpful! Just wondering how to distinguish fakes in the future? Do they not have the logo and the words?

18. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/fine-watches-jewelry-clothes/389233-history-ferrari-watch.html

Ferrari has been putting a lot of quartz/mechanical variants into their store of the last 5+ years. But outside of respectable quality, they will be the mass-pro line or the high-end line. Look for good Ferrari markings, logo and execution in the mass-pro line, look for Girard Perregaux, Panerai, Cabestan, Hublot or Movado (the last three will be rare as they are recent) in the high-end line. No single cue to look for, but if it looks like crap in turns of execution, then probably not. If it's vintage, then it's going to look like a quality watch, of appropriate manufacture. After that, you need someone knowledgeable.

19. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    GP F watches have been in the teens for a decade.....

20. Epistello

Epistello Rookie

Jan 30, 2013
    Washington
    Thanks for the help!

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Ferrari does not make watches.

Pete

22. blurico

blurico Rookie

Aug 24, 2013
    #22 blurico, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Everyone. I have a watch that my father owned and gave to me a couple years ago but I have know idea if its real or anything about it. No case, just been wrapped in a bag for many years. Maybe you can help. I have attached pictures below. Any help would be appreciative.
    At the back their is also am embossed Ferrari horse symbol next to where it says : water resistant quartz. Where the clock dial shows it also says SWISS MADE

23. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    The shield appears incorrect and a mass production quartz Ferrari watch would not be worth much even if authentic.

24. modena1967

modena1967 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2012
    France
    Full Name:
    Philippe Guennou
    The pictured Watch belongs to Ferrari Formula "diving" collection. It's not a fake.

25. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Its a Formula Ferrari watch from the mid 80's - its authentic, some were made by Cartier ( not this one) ... they are battery powered and overall are nice watches. I think retail on this watch would be $200 - $600 depending on condition.