Go Back   FerrariChat.com > The Ferrari Lifestyle > Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 12:44 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Lucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by godabitibi View Post
I have three of them. I believe they are Italian made with swiss movement. Ronda 5030D for my chronos. I was very happy with the quality of the first one I got and bought 2 more + a Pit Stop. The Pit Stop is different quality.
I'm glad to to hear that they are Italian made and with Swiss movement, but something just doesn't seem right. I have yet to see a quality Italian/Swiss watch for $250. Aside
from "Swatch" which is all plastic and battery quartz movement...

I am concered about the quality and origin of these watches. Any more info would be appreciated.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-04-2013, 01:08 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Scott
Quote:
I have three of them. I believe they are Italian made by Sordi Orologi with swiss movement. Ronda 5030D for my chronos. I was very happy with the quality of the first one I got and bought 2 more + a Pit Stop. The Pit Stop is different quality. I'm considering buying another one possibly their Automotic Grand Turismo.
Replacement for my non-working GT Auto just arrived, on wrist now and running fine. A nice watch at the sale price but certainly not @ $1K+.

Ferrari Store has promised to refund the duties I paid for the original watch. I'm waiting.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by starboy444 View Post
I'm glad to to hear that they are Italian made and with Swiss movement, but something just doesn't seem right. I have yet to see a quality Italian/Swiss watch for $250. Aside
from "Swatch" which is all plastic and battery quartz movement...

I am concered about the quality and origin of these watches. Any more info would be appreciated.
The Ferrari watch I have is no where near the quality of my cheapest Tag or Tissot. It's not a sapphire crystal. Mine had a scratch on it after just a couple weeks. If I had paid over $300 for it I would have been disappointed.

It's this one...

SCUDERIA FERRARI BLACK CHRONO - Ferrari Store
Old 03-04-2013, 02:51 PM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Jim E
These aren't Swiss watches, and they aren't worth the $1000 or $600 or whatever the MSRP's are. They ARE a decent watch for the price with the 60 or 70% off coupon. They aren't comparable to a Tag or a Tissot. I'm very happy with mine, but I have less than $150 in it. It's a great watch for that price.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-04-2013, 03:35 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Claude Laforest
I totally agree. If I had to pay full retail I would have been disapointed. But with the 20% +70% the price is good for the quality of it. It sure doesn't compare with TAG.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:46 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpo1 View Post
These aren't Swiss watches, and they aren't worth the $1000 or $600 or whatever the MSRP's are. They ARE a decent watch for the price with the 60 or 70% off coupon. They aren't comparable to a Tag or a Tissot. I'm very happy with mine, but I have less than $150 in it. It's a great watch for that price.
I agree... I don't believe they are "swiss" watches either. Previous poster mentioned that they are made in Italy under license, but I don't see how thats possible when you can't even buy a pair of leather shoes from Italy for less than $500...let alone a watch.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:19 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Well maybe I shouldn't have said MADE in Italy. What I meant is that they are SORDI OROLOGI watches. Thats what the owner booklet has in print. If you go to the SORDI website the first thing you see at the very top is ''SORDI made in Italy''. Also the movement is a Ronda which is a Swiss company and the face says swiss made. Who manufacture and assemble them I don't know. With the mondialization everything has a little part made in another country and assembled in another place. Is volkswagen a German car? Well the last beetles were made in Mexico.
For me this is an Italian watch with a Swiss movement.

Last edited by godabitibi; 03-05-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:45 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Well maybe I shouldn't have said MADE in Italy. What I meant is that they are SORDI OROLOGI watches. Thats what the owner booklet has in print. If you go to the SORDI website the first thing you see at the very top is ''SORDI made in Italy''. Also the movement is a Ronda which is a Swiss company and the face says swiss made. Who manufacture and assemble them I don't know. With the mondialization everything has a little part made in another country and assembled in another place. Is volkswagen a German car? Well the last beetles were made in Mexico.
For me this is an Italian watch with a Swiss movement.
Well said. I visited the SORDI website, and it clearly mentions "global sourcing", "swiss movements", and "specializing in watch assembly" pretty much means that the movements are Swiss, (the most expensive part of the watch)... everything else is made in China, and then assembled by Sordi at their headquarters in Italy.

Last edited by starboy444; 03-05-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:21 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

One thing is 100% sure Starboy, they are genuine Ferrari watches ordered from Ferrari in Italy. That is all we can say. I would for sure prefer to have a Panerai or Girard Perregault but the price is very different.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Robin
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglistluder View Post
Just received my Scuderia Ferrari Gun Chono [from Italy] and here is my review.

This is a great watch with a few oversights. The case, dial, buttons, and leather strap are all very nice. The quartz chrono works as it should and all mechanicals work. The AR coating is ok.

Here are the oversights that could have made this even better:
-Sapphire crystal instead of mineral
-The deployant clasp feels pretty cheap
-The dial is a bit thick so the date wheel appears sunken even though it's not
-Designed to look like the crown and pushers are screw down when they aren't
-Hand design seems a bit too "fancy" for a sports watch

Overall I'm very pleased with this watch considering it only cost me $160

FYI... these are made by Sordi Watches (Italy), same company that makes Momo Design watches. It says so in the owner's manual.
Mine just arrived as well. The clasp is terrible. I find it very difficult to close it; need to push really hard. With you as well?

Anyway for this price it's a nice watch. It looks good. Would have preferred a carbon fibre type strap without the cheap clasp, but overall it's nice.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin360 View Post
Mine just arrived as well. The clasp is terrible. I find it very difficult to close it; need to push really hard. With you as well?

Anyway for this price it's a nice watch. It looks good. Would have preferred a carbon fibre type strap without the cheap clasp, but overall it's nice.
Are you talking about the one with the leather strap and weird clasp contraption?
Mine is pretty easy to close but requires a little bit of force to open which is good.

The tan leather on mine is starting to turn black on the edges but you don't see that part so I'm not too upset. I also wear it often and keep it in the case. The cushion you keep it on is hard on the edge and I assume the constant rubbing on the strap isn't good for the strap.
I still like it a lot and wear it often. As someone said above, I'd you over look a few small things, it's not a bad watch. Perfect for a Ferrari enthusiast IMO
Old 03-08-2013, 12:55 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Robin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
Are you talking about the one with the leather strap and weird clasp contraption?
Mine is pretty easy to close but requires a little bit of force to open which is good.
Yes, that's the one. Also with me it requires a lot of force to open, but this is a good thing. But also to close it, which is weird.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-08-2013, 10:21 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

I have 3 of the chrono, brown leather band, black leather band anf the full stainless. I also don't really like the clasp of the leather ones. My stainless is by far my prefered one, it is my daily watch. Much heavier, I like the feel of a heavy watch and the clasp is easy to use. The only negative is that the hands are too much the same color as the dial which sometimes makes if hard to read on a quick glance.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:28 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Scott
I've just now gotten the trick on the GT Auto clasp: Set wrist fit and leave it. Open snaps, squeeze hand through, and close snaps. Watch is very nice for everyday wear but I don't expect the plastic clasp will last long. Poor on a $300 watch, inexcusable on one with $1K+ MSRP
Old 03-08-2013, 11:50 AM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: PDG
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsa330 View Post
I've just now gotten the trick on the GT Auto clasp: Set wrist fit and leave it. Open snaps, squeeze hand through, and close snaps. Watch is very nice for everyday wear but I don't expect the plastic clasp will last long. Poor on a $300 watch, inexcusable on one with $1K+ MSRP
The band on mine does not impress me either. I hate squeezing my hand through there to put it on - its not very comfortable, so at some point I will replace it.

Otherwise I like it. I am also not completely clear why the (normal) second hand is used only for the chronograph and NOT for the usual watch function. That seems a bit bassackwards to me.

PDG
Old 03-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayTA View Post
I am also not completely clear why the (normal) second hand is used only for the chronograph and NOT for the usual watch function. That seems a bit bassackwards to me.
That is how every chronograph works.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:40 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

What I do, I synchronize both second hands together and let the chrono run all the time.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:32 PM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Jim E
Quote:
What I do, I synchronize both second hands together and let the chrono run all the time.
Ha! That's a huge pet peeve of mine. A coworker does it too, and I reach across and stop it all the time. I always figure that the minutes/hours functions are having to keep up with the chrono second hand and it wastes energy.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:51 PM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: PDG
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff328
Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayTA

I am also not completely clear why the (normal) second hand is used only for the chronograph and NOT for the usual watch function. That seems a bit bassackwards to me.

That is how every chronograph works.

My Citizens dont..

Its a minor thing, I just hadnt seen that before I got this watch.

PDG

Posted from Ferrarichat.com App for Android
Old 03-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayTA View Post
My Citizens dont..

Its a minor thing, I just hadnt seen that before I got this watch.

PDG
Every chrono I've ever seen uses the big second hand for the chrono seconds. Seems the Citizen is the anomoly

I have seen cheap and expensive chronos from Rolex, Tag, Omega, AP, Laco, Luminox, Swiss Army, various Ferrari-branded machines, Ebel, and so on. Many probably use the same movements, i.e., quartz from Ronda or ETA, or Valjoux 7750 or variants but anyway I've never seen a chrono that counts regular seconds with the big hand.
Non-Sponsor Ads