Patek 5970 | FerrariChat

Patek 5970

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by chet, Mar 27, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chet

chet F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    I am toying with the idea of buying one of these watches. Anyone have an opinion as to whether prices will increase or decrease over the next year or two? Also, what's the market perception on its successor, ref 5270?

The most expensive watch I've ever purchased is a Daytona so this is potentially a whole new experience.

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  3. Nautilus1

Nautilus1 Karting

Apr 24, 2011
    NYC
    It's the one collectors now love the most. It had a fairly limited run but has the bigger case and many prefer the tach on the dial along with the traditional dial display. I love the 5270 but this one has gotten wrecked in the secondary market. 5970's can be had for less than the list of a 5270 and should hold their value fairly well. Whether you choose a g,p, or j they all look great. Good luck.

4. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I prefer the 5970 vs. the 5270. What about the 3970?

5. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    More power to ya, but I'd rather have a Stradale

6. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    As an investment, you have to really careful. I have in this for about 28 years. Never bought a Patek for an investment. They can all move around and nothing is certain.
    Look at the price of the 5960. when it came out at about $65,000, it shot up to $95,000 now I see them on and off for about $59-63,000. So, no money really lost if you bought at the starting price.

But Patek does have the largest auction numbers of any maker in the world. The 3939 came out a few years back. How many people bought it a $250,000 just to have one to wear once or twice a year. At a quarter of a million you have a ton of choices of things to collect. Why not buy the purple Ferrari Dino that was for sale in the $289,000 price to see if it will go up, or maybe pop and drop back into the $180,000. Fine if you like it, but if you bought it for an investment you would be really upset to take a $100,000 loss, but if it goes up to $500,000. But, we don't know if the Dino will to a magic jump. But the patek 3939, just sold last spring for $800,000 and a another version of it went for $1.1Million.
    Patek watches you need to really research the market, and make sure you know the numbers of watches produced and various dials, colors, If there are more than 40 of them made, chances are slim that in 2 years it will be any big jumps. Just buy it wear it for at least 10 years, you have to think long term. In 2004 you did not. But the 150T that was put out by Patek for $24,000 , shot up in a year to $90,000 , but now is back down in the $50,000 so that was not a bad deal at all. So there can be big jumps on a really hot NEW Patek, but it has to be one nobody can get, and they all want, then you have to flip it. Just like anything you want to make money on depends on what you buy at and what you sell at.
    I like the 5970, and is a clean classic watch, should be stable, but may be like the Dino, it may stall at it's current price for 2 years. And, and a new watch could out do it in the next two years. Any Patek under $200,000 would , in my opinion, would be risky for an "Good " investment, you can enjoy it and have a chance to make a few thousand.

7. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    The Patek's I have are worn all the time. I figure if I can break even on it in 5 years it will all be fine. As, it is hard to find the end collector, and if you trade them you take a beating.
    But if I had to buy a watch for investment it would be PATEK PHILIPPE.

8. chet

chet F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks for the info.

Are the platinum Pateks usually 30% more than gold?

5970G are 130ish and 5970P are 170ish.

9. Maxige

Maxige Karting

Jun 5, 2005
    London/Milan
    Full Name:
    Max
    #9 Maxige, May 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    5970 in my opinion is one of the nicest watch produced in the last decade or so.

Everything about it is well balanced, from size to dial's design.

The only things purists find annoying about a watch in that price bracket is the Lemania based mouvement.

This was resolved with the 5270 featuring his own PP mouvement.

Is that going to be a good investment? Probably, but I don't really know...the thing I know is that even if prices are going to drop I will be so happy with mine as I'm planning to keep it forever and will probably add one in Platinum to my collection.

Platinum is the rarest of the 4 produced so if you are looking at a mere investment that one will be the one to get, followed by the white gold.

Yellow gold one is the one that was produced in the highest number hence prices are usually lower for these.

Here a picture of mine in very good company! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  11. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That would be a x2, on that one.

I take it that's your car also?

12. CollectorMorry

CollectorMorry Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Morry Barmak
    Wow - an uber Patek and a Huayra. Stunning combo Max, enjoy!

Morry

13. Maxige

Maxige Karting

Jun 5, 2005
    London/Milan
    Full Name:
    Max
    #13 Maxige, May 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Unfortunately not, it's Pagani's own demo car. ;)

I was there few days ago for a factory tour and to see some of the Zonda they have there as it's a car I keep looking at and I'll may buy in the near future!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    F40's yours ;)

I really love that watch, but I think that's just cause I know I can't have it:)

15. Patriot

Patriot Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    Max, LOVE that photo of the 5970 and the Pagani--Sweet!

To answer the OP's question, I think prices for the 5970 over the next couple of years to stay relatively flat subject to the economy. I don't see the watch falling in value--prices rose sharply while in production and for a period thereafter, and then flattened out where it has remained for some time. To my knowledge it always stayed at or above MSRP even through some pretty tough economic times. And I think it is sure to rise steadily (although perhaps slowly) in the future because it ends an era for Patek, and in a sense, an era in watchmaking, which in my view makes it very collectable.

In "the good old days", all of Patek's watches, as with the other great houses, manufactured watches using ebaches from dedicated movement manufacturers (you mentioned the Daytona--you may recall that prior to the current Rolex there was the Daytona with the Zenith movement or "ebache"). The 5970's predecessors like the 1518 and 2499, which sell for mega $ all start with ebaches made elsewhere. There is a whole history of Swiss watchmaking that explains the dynamic and it makes for interesting reading. And as for the 5970, the Lemania ebache has an entire history all of its own (including going to the moon in the Omega Speedmaster). But unlike the Speedmaster's movement, Patek deconstucted the movement, revised, reworked and ultimately rebuilt it. It was a time consuming process, but that was how fine watches were made.

Consolidation in the industry (driven by low sales due to quartz competition) meant watch manufactures merging with movement manufacturers, and eventually luxury watch competitors began marketing their watches with "in-house" movements as if that that mere fact made them better--but it apparently worked. Patek defended the use of the Lemania saying if they were to build a movement from the ground up it would look like the Patek Lemania so why bother. But the marketing pressure combined with the fact that Breguet bought Lemania and was refusing to sell movements to Patek drove Patek to get with the times--and eventually created its own movement that Patek says has the added benefit (to Patek) of taking less time, and therefore less cost, to make.

To be sure, the new Patek movement is technologically more advanced. But you are sure to see that movement in Pateks for a long long time as they recoup their R&D costs--but you will never see another Patek with a Lemania (or non-Patek) ebache. This being a Ferrari forum please excuse the analogy, but I liken it to the Porsche oil-cooled 911, to its air-cooled successor. The end of the oil-cooled 911 was the end of an era. German engineering was supplemented if not replaced by Japanese manufacturing techniques. Prices of pristine oil-cooled 911's have stayed strong while more mass-produced air-cooled models drop like rocks.

These days I might prefer the new 911 to one of those old oil-cooled cars. Unlike cars though, watches "just" tell time. All the technological advances do nothing that change things much for the end user. And in my view you buy one of these watches, whether it be the 5970 or the 5270, at least in part because of its historical context (--and in the case of the 5970 because it has to be one of the best looking watches Patek has ever made). So for my dime its all about the 5970 (and I own one).

Incidentially, the 3970 (immediate predecessor to the 5970) shares the same history as the 5970 so all of the same story applies (I use to own one of those too). It is considerably cheaper and arguably a very good buy--but is smaller and arguably not as good looking (and therefore its cheaper).

FWIW, I also think there is a decent chance that Patek will give the 5270, which has seen a lot of price resistance and can easily be purchased well below MSRP--a relatively short (4-5 year) run. If this is true, it might make it the better "investment" at least in the short run (the 5970 was a 4-5 year run too but that short-term discontinuation hysteria is now gone). I kind of think that unlike before, these watches will rotate with some frequency such that it will make them all of the Patek-movement watches less attractive long term.

Of course, time could prove me to be entirely full of BS.

On a last note, the 5970 and 5270 currently sell for about the same price. Make of that what you will.

For me, I am happy to own the 5970 and plan to make it my heirloom watch. Lucky kid.

16. wsaraceni

wsaraceni F1 Rookie

Aug 9, 2010
    great looking watches but if i could afford any watch i wanted and was looking at Patek the 5070 would be on my list.

17. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Please tell where I can buy a 5270 for 5970 $$?

Thank you,

18. Patriot

Patriot Rookie

Jun 26, 2013

Patek currently offers the 5270 only in white gold. White gold is indicated by the letter "G" after the reference number.

As I write this, the best price offered on eBay is for a new 5270G is for $136,500 or best offer. The best price offered for the 5970G mint/used is $132,950. Similarly Chrono24 best price listed for a Patek 5270G is $136,500, and $139,995 for a used/mint Patek 5970G.

These are all grey market dealers. You will find they provide a market for authorized dealers to advertise without offending their relationships with the manufacturer. Or you can quietly ask your dealer. Of course not all will do it, hoping for a whale, but many certainly will. It is well known among those who pay attention to these things that the 5270 has been a slow mover (not a rejection of the watch I think, but rather because of the high MSRP) and they are moving at these kind of discounts.

I hope this helps.

19. Ferrari-F1

Ferrari-F1 Karting

Jul 12, 2013
    Southern California

Very nice!
    I agree go with the platinum. You will be impressed with the heft and it has a evergreen style which will always be appreciated.

20. Fomar

Fomar Rookie

Oct 12, 2013
    Hi Chet

I can be of help , lots of us references.

Regards
    Fomar

21. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Mmmm, sure. Totally anonymous new user suggesting he can help in the purchase of a $130,000 watch. What can go wrong? :D

22. chet

chet F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    2 year bump to revisit. Prices are more or less the same?

Max--Did you ever get a Zonda?

23. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    spoke to a sothebys guy last weekend - 5970g prices are apparently 150 to 180 and 5970p prices are close to 200 - 5270s can be had for 130ks

24. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    A good place to check: chrono24.com

25. rahulma

rahulma Karting

Dec 9, 2009
    There was a 5270g listed on TZ for 109.5 recently!