Omega Speedmaster | FerrariChat

Omega Speedmaster

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by wahoowa, Apr 16, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    First....dang you guys (especially FarmerDave) ;)

I think I would like to pick up an Omega Speedmaster. But I just want the head only. There are so many variants, but what I want is the "classic" model (you know, the one that is easiest for my widow to sell one day :eek: ) that would be the "Moon Watch", yes?

I should be looking for the model 3570.50, yes? And the desired movement is 321? Anything else I should look out for? Also, on a whim, were I to find an 18K version are they as "collectable"?

One last question, some models appear to have the seconds complication on the left side, some on the right? Same model, different movements? Or different models.

Last, what should I expect to pay for a good solid SS version? How about 18K?

Many, many thanks!

Bill

2. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
  3. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Hahaha. I would say I'm sorry, but I'm not. :D

I got a 3570.50. I am the second owner, It was a 2012 model originally purchased in Dec 2011. I bought it in Dec 2012 from a reputable member with good transaction history on several of the watch forums. It came with all boxes, papers, warranty cards, extra links, etc. Still had plenty of warranty. I wear it almost every day and I love it.

I fell in love with the design when I saw a "space flown" speedmaster at the Naval Aviation Museum in FL. I rewarded myself in December for hitting an annual sales goal.

It's all good except for a couple of annoyances about wearing this as a daily wear.

It's a manual wind watch and a full wind lasts about 2 days. Skip a day wearing it, or flat forget to wind it, and you're at risk of missing an appointment if you don't use other methods of timekeeping like your computer or cell phone. Every other watch I own (eco-drives and automatics) will keep time as long as it is on your wrist. This watch will stop cold in the middle of the day once the spring has unwound. and unless I stare at the tiny seconds dial for a few seconds, I am always nervous about whether I am reading a correct time.

Which brings me to the Chrono feature. One way to combat the nerves of whether or not my watch has run out of spring because I forgot to set it, is to leave the Chrono running, because the seconds hand of the Chrono is so much easier to see, obviously.

My biggest complaint about this watch is a personal preference thing . I often use the Chrono feature or rotating bezel features on my watches to time events during my day, such as a meeting or errand filled lunch hour, or working out... And every couple of months, a 90 minute driving stint in a crapcan endurance race. The Speedmaster is ****ing terrible for because the minutes indicator is a 30 minute indicator and 12 hour indicator in separate, tiny dials. That part of it totally sucks if you don't want to take your eyes off of what you are doing for more than a glance.

Other than that, I am in love with this watch and quite satisfied with it. Even though I paid the top of the used market for a quality, complete example and I've not been gentle with it, and despite everything I complained about above, I just flat do not wear any other watches any more.

4. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    What do you mean you want the head only? I guess you mean, sans bracelet?

5. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I have the moon watch too and love it.

It's funny but the 3 watches I like are all 1950s/1960s design - the Speedmaster, Rolex Submariner, Tag Monaco

6. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Yes...your dang pic posted did it ;)

Probably pick up a NATO or rubber strap.

Did I say, dang you? :D

7. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #7 wahoowa, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
    Yessir, that's the one - I "think" ones after '69 have the "moon" printing on the back side. Plexi (vs. sapphire) as I really like the retro look - and easy to read.

Edit - Ron, thank you for the link, and for being the consumate gentleman and not saying "did you search?" :eek: I really did search but missed it!

8. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Every chrono has that issue, aging (failing :eek: ) eyesight doesn't help..... I have another chrono and I think I've engaged the stop/start buttons maybe 5 times...pain to unscrew them and I always am afraid I'll leave 'em "open" and flood the watch.

But... I love the look.

9. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Ha, totally agree, you must be an old guy (but young at heart) like me :D

10. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    wearing my moon watch today. Love it every time I wear it. I find it easy to read.
    Nd

11. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #11 FarmerDave, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You should be easily able to find a well loved speedmaster with no bracelet on the watchuseek forums for reasonable money if the casual look is your goal. And the Timex Weekender 6.99 straps are a perfect fit... Like this one I picked up today... :D (pic to follow)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. High Sierra

High Sierra Karting

Jul 29, 2007
    AGL
    Full Name:
    Britt
    This is the easiest watch to read i have ever owned. Every time i wear it i think wow, this is a no brainer, i read the time at a glance.

Britt

13. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I'm not saying the time of day is difficult to read. It's difficult to see the small dial second hand move, and the 30 minute & 12hr chrono dial are difficult to read at a glance, if you're timing an event you are actually involved in.

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The biggest potential at appreciating is probably an original 1950s broadarrow. Otherwise they've made so many limited editions you wont see any big roi. I love the broadarrows....

15. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #15 miurasv, Apr 16, 2013
    The Pre Moon Speedmaster Professional with 321 movement and raised metal Omega logo on the dial are models 105012 (105.012) and 145012 (145.012). The next model was the 145022 (145.022) with 861 movement and the first versions also had the raised metal Omega logo and sea horse on the case back without the NASA inscription.

Pictured is a 145.012 -67 on a leather strap.

16. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    ^^That is a gorgeous watch!

17. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Agreed, IMHO the pre-moon Speedy is THE classic mens watch.

I wear a 145.012 67 every day ;)

18. beepx2

beepx2 Formula 3

Jan 26, 2009
    North Carolina
    What a great trio. I like them all.

19. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    #19 Dutchman, Apr 18, 2013
  20. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    And how they are connected. Cool little quiz.

I won't spoil it.

21. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I can name the first one, 'cause I got one. Bulova Accutron Spaceview.

22. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    #22 Mule, Apr 18, 2013
  23. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Very cool - I never knew of Omega's strong history w the US Space program. Thanks for sharing this.

24. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #24 miurasv, Apr 18, 2013
    Note how the Speedmaster in the first of Mule's pics of Wally Schirra's watches has no crown guards and does not say "Professional" on the dial. It's an earlier model, probably a 105.003 which also has the 321 movement.

Here's an example of a 105.003.

25. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #25 jimpo1, Apr 18, 2013