Hublot Carbon Fiber Big Bang Ferrari Watches | FerrariChat

Hublot Carbon Fiber Big Bang Ferrari Watches

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by F430 Driver, Feb 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    #1 F430 Driver, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Saw this on the full back cover ad of the most recent Ferrari magazine from Hublot. Thought it looked cool. Wanted to know pricing. Looks like 36 grand. I see a few posts about this watch here on the forums but not many and thought there would be more.

Is this thing way overpriced for what it is? I did a little research and from what I can find Hublot watches are one of the worst at holding value often losing 75% of their original price. If this is the case some patience could get me one of these for under 9 grand in a couple years. Does the limited edition help or make no difference with Hublot?

I'm looking at the bottom two watches on the link below. Leaning towards the gold one at 36k but these are not Patek or Rolex and I'd prefer not to own it only because I like it but also something that over 10 or 20 years will hold value or appreciate. Any chance of that on these?

Hublot Watches Big Bang 45mm Ferrari From SwissLuxury
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    TBH with all the garbage products that are licensed the Ferrari logo, all down to a few hundred dollar watches, I don't even understand why anyone would buy an expensive Hublot with a Ferrari logo on - it adds nothing to it. It is bound to depreciate bigtime.

Am I wrong with my view? Has any watch with the Ferrari logo on ever appreciated or is considered a true watch classic?

3. TurboRegal84

TurboRegal84 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2007
    Southern NJ
    They are neat looking. I remember a thread on here that a member walked into the Hublot store in Vegas and purchased one new. When looking at cross branded watches (like Ferrari and Brand X) you are very smart by waiting for someone else to take the hit. I have had a few Panerai watches and the ones that were NOT the Ferrari Panerai were much easier to sell. The issue I ran into with the Panerai Ferrari watches was that you need to find a buyer that likes both Ferrari and Panerai which limits the market when you want to change around your collection.

4. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    I looked around for any watch that was similar in design even if it wasn't hublot or ferrari. Doesn't seem to be anything out there similar to this unless I just have not searched far enough yet.

5. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    That's what I meant to point out. If you have a 1000 buyers for a Hublot you may only have 10 buyers who like Ferrari and Hublot.

I would never buy an expensive piece with a Ferrari logo on, based purely on the reselling matter.

6. dipesh.tank

dipesh.tank Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2013
    You can get 25% off list price for one of these. I've got a deposit down on the red carbon magic but might change it for the king gold. I have no idea about the depreciation on these as they are relatively new watches. I'm getting it because i want it to go matching with my new 458 italia, its not going to be sold ever so depreciation isn't an issue for me.

7. OH599

OH599 Karting

Sep 30, 2013
    Anyone who buys a Hublot at retail needs their head examined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. dipesh.tank

Jun 10, 2013
    Or just too much money

9. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Maybe I'm just getting old, but I'd like a watch that I can read. These all have too much stuff on the dial- gears and, bits and pieces.

10. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    .....which is why I got rid of my white faced Bentley.

11. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    i don't think this is a reflection of your age at all!
    i agree with your esthetic.
    but then again, i am an old f**t!

12. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I stopped by the Hublot Boutique at North Park Mall in Dallas yesterday. They have a special edition Ferrari model arriving in April that is black/yellow ( matches my California). Price was in CHF but it looks to be around $26K US. Nice looking but not sure compares to a PP or ROO.

13. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    +100

Hublot was never seen as an "ultra exclusive" watch. As part of their company agenda, they aligned with Ferrari in order to up-sell their brand. Hublots were usually in the $5-$15K dollar range.. with a Ferrari affiliation they are aiming to break into the $30K ++ exclusive category. Of course this means much more visibility, image and most importantly, profit for Hublot.

As usual.. they will market it as being 'limited edition of 2500 pieces' in order to hook you into buying at MSRP. But next year, and every year after they will come up with another edition of 2500 pcs slightly changed, (different colour, maybe a hologram of Alonso on the face??:D) and sell for the same MSRP as previoius years. You are paying for the sponsorship gimmick... not for the brand itself.

This is what separates the Hublots, Breitling, etc. from the most prestigious brands like Patek Phillipe, IWC, who's watches are ultra exclusive, not reproduced, and which actually maintain value for years.

14. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Do you think the Hublot's will see 50% or more depreciation over the next 4 to 6 years in the aftermarket? Seems like it would pay to just wait and try to find one in a few years in good shape after the floor falls out on these

15. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    I would believe so... (although I am not a watch expert). I personally don't own a Hublot Ferrari but I do have friends who have purchased the Sponsor watches and they highly doubt they are worth anything close to MSRP at this time.

Do a quick check of EBAY or watchclub, and you will see used Hublot King P going for "$18,5K - Obo", when MSRP was $29,000. Thats a pretty straight forward answer. :D

You need to look back 10-20 years of Ferrari watches... Gerard Perrigeaux, Cartier, Panerai all had contracts with Ferrari to manufacture watches. I would assume only 25% of those (Mostly the Cartier watches) are worth more, or even the same price as MSRP when purchased.

In 4-6 years I doubt Hublot will still be a sponsor of Ferrari. There will be some other brand signing onto the Ferrari wagon when Hublot contract is over.

16. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Good advice. I don't mind paying for something as long as I'm not heavily overpaying. he hit these things seems to take especially compared to Rolex or Patek doesn't make much sense unless I'm willing to shred the cash just because I have to have it (I don't).

Other watches I've owned and jewelry I've always done well and they have appreciated over time. Not stock market returns but decent. I'm a believer you don't get or stay wealthy by loading up "too much" on depreciation assets. Unless they are worth it (like a Ferrari) :)

17. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Don't get me wrong... I really do like Hublot watches. The Ferrari Carbon King Power is great looking, and quite rare. But 95% of watches these days don't really appreciate much anymore.

I doubt any Hublot's will appreciate at all.. unless it is a very limited version. Still a nice watch for a Ferrari owner, or collector.

18. dipesh.tank

Jun 10, 2013
    I'm going for the red carbon magic and got 25% off retail price. I'm never going to sell it and it'll go with my new 458 that i pick up next week. I plan to own many ferrari's in the future so it will be nice to have a matching watch. Also got 7 sport rolex and 1 tag monaco so wanted to get something a bit different this time

Wonder if the carbon weave on the watch will be similar to the carbon racing pack and seats which i have ordered!

19. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    That's a good price to get 25% off. If you never sell it and love it then definitely worth going for it. Despite the price and potential depreciation I think it is a great looking piece and definitely a bit different. I'm pretty picky with watches and it takes a lot to catch my eye and this one did.

20. dipesh.tank

Jun 10, 2013
    TBH i never seen this watch until i got a copy of the ferrari magazine in the post and it was on the back page and i thought wow it defo is different compared to my daytona's and subs.

Got the 25% off a brand new watch from official dealer so not too bad. Rather pay a bit more and get piece of mind from AD.

21. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    That was an amazing article !! Totally echoed the same thoughts I have on the Hublot and other "modern" status watches.

The big factor here (as stated in the article also) is the "movement" of the watch. The movement is usually the most expensive and complicated part of the watch. All the dies, machining assembly, etc.. costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to create.

Most watch companies buy their movements (outsource) from other companies.. therefore the true manufacture of the watch is comprised of variously outsourced parts. This is where the true value of the watch comes from....if a watch company can manufacture, service and design completely their own parts from start to finish.

According to the article, Hublot simply outsources their movements (probably from Swiss company) ALthough many other expensive watches have been known to purchase movements from China, Taiwan, and other low quality sources. Buyer beware !

22. BT ZR1

BT ZR1 Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Toronto
    Hublot makes some nice watches. IMHO they have basically copied the Royal Oak Offshores . Hublot is not a top tier manufacturer and does not have the exclusivity that AP and Patek have. They don't hold their value very well. The only watches that come close to holding there value is Patek, AP ,Rolex and Panerai. That said ,the best advice is to buy the watch that sings to you.

23. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Good advice. I actually am a little new to watches and collecting them. I've stuck with Rolex but have been looking at Patek but their designs as you say are not singing to me. Had not heard of AP but just checked them out on a quick google search. Some really nice stuff.

Seems consensus on many watch sites is that Rolex, Patek, Panerai are best if you are concerned with resale or long term appreciation

24. jacinto jardine

jacinto jardine Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2011
    australia
    Full Name:
    Fly 458
    A good friend of mine has a great watch collection, last year he purchased a new 45mmTitanium Ferrari Big Bang, great looking watch and regularly featured on the Ferrari mags.

After 3 weeks from picking it up from his AD the seconds hand stopped locking into the 12 position, when he resets it the hand always stopped at the 4 second mark.

Sure it's a warranty job but that's a 25k watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD