Patek vs Lange | FerrariChat

Patek vs Lange

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by CavalloRosso, Mar 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    I'm thinking of adding a preowned gold complication to my collection. Truth is I love the Lange 1. I also really like some of the Patek complications but they are more expensive and more plain. What are the thoughts from the gurus here? Is Lange and Sohne considered to be in the same league as Patek? Will the Lange 1 maintain its value?

2. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I have a Lange 1 Moonphase and I love it. Lange makes a lot of manual watches, so be careful.

Joe

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Wristwatch only or PW in the equation?

4. Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle Formula 3

Jul 9, 2013
    Carmel Highlands
    Full Name:
    Dan Kyle
    Get what you like. It is a hobby, not an investment, you are going to wear it.

In Patek circles, the Lange are respected, but not considered equal.

Patek's have held values well due to past performances of rare, older complications, or out of production complicated watches and increasing prices of new watches. No one can predict if the price increases will continue, they did not last year.

The current ones that really hold value or increase, are ones that are either very expensive, beyond a current perpetual calendar, or very hard to get.

5. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    Go with the one that you like better....plain and simple. I have a few watches and I had the same question between the two when the time came for a watch at that level. Went with Lange, Platinum Moonphase, and glad I did.

The Lange One dial configuration stands apart from everything I was looking at.

6. BT ZR1

BT ZR1 Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Toronto
    I have had both. datograph platinum and currently patek annual calender. Patek holds its value better. You buy what sings to you. That said, Patek is king of the hill.

7. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
  8. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    A pre-owned Lange is a great value

9. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    My .02

Lange is gaining in respect while Patek is the standard.
    Of the two, and because of my budget, I prefer the VC ;)

10. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    FWIW, I traded my W/G 5055 (too small) for a platinum Lange 1.

Then I sold it.

11. rkuo

rkuo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2009
    California
    I love Lange. German cars, German watches! Patek is great, of course, but a little too stuffy for me. Lange has very innovative watches at all of their levels.

12. rsflv

rsflv Karting

Oct 28, 2012
    RanchoSantaFe/Vegas
    I have a couple Patek's and would like to add a Lange. Patek seems to be the standard bearer, while Lange is perhaps a better value. Ultimately, a Patek may hold it's value better. I bought an annual calendar 10 years ago and the sales price for the similar one has more than doubled. I think Patek's are more conservative on the exterior, while Lange's look more unique. In some ways, Patek is like Ferrari, while Lange is like Lamborghini.

Here's an interesting comparison.

A Comparison of the Keyless Works in a Patek and a Lange - TimeZone

13. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    #13 ghibliman, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. BT ZR1

BT ZR1 Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Toronto
    At the end of the day, you will always lust for the patek.

15. rllucero

rllucero Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2006
    Santa Fe/San Diego
    Full Name:
    richontravel
    I had the same decision to make about 3 months ago and I decided on the PP 5711. So far I couldn't be happier. In the future I'm sure there will be an ALS….

16. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent

Personally I love Lange. I'm not a Patek guy but maybe one day that will change. IMO Lange makes the best mechanical watches available. If you want lower depreciation no doubt Patek is the way to go. Making a choice like this falls into the "which supermodel should I date?" category!

I chuckled at the Ferrari/Lambo comparison. I have thought for a while that Breigtlings went with Gallardos.

17. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    #17 intrepidcva11, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    Honestly, and not meaning to be controversial, this is really irrelevant. Even the video makes clear that Rolex is for display while Patek is deliberately understated and for owners who wish to avoid ostentation. Lange is clearly in the latter category.

Thirty-plus yeas ago I bought myself a Rolex as a 'getting divorced' present. Would have bought a Patek but couldn't afford one. The Rolex I got was a new mid-size Datejust in solid 14kt (harder more scratch-resistant metal) with a leather band. Cost me just under $900. Wear it on holiday occasions. Still have it with the original packaging in like-new condition.

My real 'everyday' dress watch is an Omega Constellation chronometer, gold-filled bezel, stainless back, that I bought in Zurich in January 1956 for $90.US! A week later it was on my wrist as I returned from Napoli to New York on board Andrea Doria! I wore it through three years on active duty as an officer in the Navy, two as an OOD on board U.S.S. Intrepid.

Twenty years ago when I was still living in New York City, after lots and lots of research I came very close to buying a Lange. It is true that Patek is regarded as the standard but I believe that the quality is so close as to be indistinguishable, so today, if I were not 83 and making this choice, I'd be getting a Lange.

18. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

What's wrong with manual?
    Winding the watch is part of the joy of bonding with the watch.

Sent from my 16M

19. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    As mentioned, Patek is King of the Hill and part of the Holy Trinity. Other WIS'ers will say ALS and Breguet are along the same level of the Big Three.
    But as everyone says, you have to buy the watch that moves you when you try it on. It's really a matter of opinion and style. I personally like PP over ALS, don't understand the current ALS craze. PP has the heritage, long standing history and exemplary craftsmanship.
    I'll be adding a 5712 to my collection some day.

Sent from my 16M

20. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Buy the watch you want to wear, whatever that may be. But between the two, Patek for me. Lange is interesting, for sure, but Patek is the really the high standard.

Do take a look at some Jaeger LeCoulte watches. Their detailing is nice, and their movements are interesting. And at a lower price.

Their automatic rotors have a lovely "whirring" sound.

Matt

21. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Lange is my favorite manufacturer. Patek is number 4, after Breguet and GO, so you can guess my thought. I have a PT 1815, which, IMO, is the most beautiful watch ever made.

22. crazy canuck

crazy canuck Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2005
    West Coast
    Buy the one you want and makes you happy- but patek remains the Ferrari of watches IMHO.

23. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I have a winder for manuals, but they are a pain.

Joe

24. jwp98

jwp98 Karting

Aug 16, 2009
    midwest USA
    I'm stuck at this same decision point, an admittedly good place to be. No objection to other brands, for that matter. I've had two Pateks, currently a 5726A. It's pretty and keeps near perfect time. I've grown a little weary of the case. It's too sporty for my needs and the strap isn't worthy of the movement. I was looking at a Saxonia annual and the wonderfully thin, elegant 5140 in white gold. Surprisingly a much bigger discount can be had on the 5140, though the service time, cost, and even attitude are quite Ferrari like, heh heh. One problem is, I really want a smooth (high beat) sweeping center seconds hand, which both lack. They're pacifying to watch, like the sun setting or waves rolling. The Saxonia can be had in a superior case, even platinum, for under $60k NIB, and on a better strap but no center seconds and the large date indicator looks like it was designed for special needs. The hunt continues.

25. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #25 F456 V12, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am fan of Lange, I have a Lange 1815 Up/Down in white gold I had cleaned last year and put away for a future grandson - I hope as a graduation gift, picture is pre buffing to take out the every day wear. This was a limited run with the blue dial, power meter and second hand. I replaced it with a yellow gold Lange 1.

A few years back I visited the factory store in Dresden, when you walk with a Lange on your wrist, you get treated very well...read their company story, very interesting.

BTW, I do not hide the fact I bought both watches slightly used, the 1815 even in today's market is worth 2X what I paid.

MB
    Image Unavailable, Please Login