Need some help choosing a new dial | FerrariChat

Need some help choosing a new dial

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by dstacy, Mar 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #1 dstacy, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a pretty nice Rollie 1500 Date with a gold fluted bezel. I've been looking at changing the dial on mine and been considering a blue dial. I was surprised how few dials are out there for the 1500. There are lots of DJ dials but very few "date" dials. I found a couple of diamond dials on the bay, one shiny blue and one matte blue.
    So here is the question.... if I planned on switching back and forth between a gold & stainless jubilee bracelet and a blue croc strap which would you pick? The shiny or the matte dial?

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Here is the shiny one

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #2 dstacy, Mar 7, 2014
  3. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Realistically we need to see the exact color of the blue croc strap to give you the best answer. In the absence of a picture, I imagine somewhere between a navy blue and royal blue so I say, go with the "shiny"

4. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    I like the shiny one.

5. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Are they both the same price? Are they both factory original with factory original diamonds? The top one looks refinished to me, which is common to do when they get a custom diamond job. I say it looks refinished because it looks the like the same blue used for the submariner dials, which is unusual for the Date model.

There is no harm in going the custom diamond route (it's like getting a custom exhaust for your car) - but make sure you know what you are buying.

The Matte dial looks more like what an "original" dial would look like. It is possible to add diamonds without refinishing the dial - so make sure you ask.

Also - do you need to exchange your existing dial? I might be less likely to give up a factory original dial for a custom diamond dial that has been refinished.

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    All good questions. Let's see if I can answer them...

Yes they are the same price. I believe they are both factory dials which have diamonds added in the aftermarket.

I agree the "shiny" blue looks more modern of a color/finish. Not sure if I care but for reference sake my Date is a 1963 model. So I also thought the "matte" color would be more period correct. But again I'm not sure I care.

Yes you can add diamonds to a factory dial and not have to refinish it. But you better be pretty careful when you're doing it.

This would be an out right purchase so no exchange.

I'm leaning towards the matte one since it is a bit more subdued and period correct. I have a gold date wheel on it now so that ought to look pretty cool showing through the blue window.
    Still not 100% committed to the switch yet. Right now my Date is white face, gold sticks, gold date wheel, on a gold/silver Jubilee bracelet. I have a gold/silver and an all silver so I thought customizing this one a bit might make it a good casual wear with jeans etc

7. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I like the first pic, shiny blue.

I asked rolex for a swap last time I went in for a service. The price was retarded to do a dial change, and they keep the old face dial.

We said ..forget it.

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Well then you're going to be glad you replied to this thread because I'm going to help you.
    Nobody uses the factory service centers any longer unless you have a new watch still under warranty.
    On the west coast talk to Alex at ABC Watchwerks ABC WATCHWERKS, INC. - HOME
    Or in Texas, Bob Ridley at Watchmakers International Watchmakers International - Rolex Watch Repair
    In Florida Rik Dietel at Time Care is the man Time Care Inc. - The Watch Repair Experts!
    All of these guys are much less expensive then an RSC and some of them were trained by Rollie.

So to finish your comment; a dial change is a couple of hundred dollars at most and you should keep your old dial. No biggie.

9. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    I have heard that if you bring a watch to Rolex for service with an non original dial, they will put the correct dial in or refuse to service the watch.

10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ..and charge you list price for the original dial. 100% accurate and true.

11. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Keep your original dial and having an aftermarket diamond dial is not an issue.

Unless something catastrophic happens to your watch, there is no real reason to send it to the factory.

12. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    The H.O is close to me, it's $35 more to have the factory service it over a jeweler that is authorized.
    Still it was $540.00 to service this time around, and what upsets me most....I had it serviced in 2008 for the first time since I purchased it new in'1992.
    It only lasted 5yrs, and as soon I changed the date in March to get to the 1st of the month, it stopped holding time.

Thanks, though it's already in service for a few weeks ...

Here in Canada, can't find any face dials to switch.....good to have a source next time around.

Thanks

13. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
  14. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #14 dstacy, Apr 4, 2014
    Well I never did make up my mind so screw it I decided to dress it up a bit by putting a chestnut stained real crocodile band on it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login