Bought a Rolex Daytona | FerrariChat

Bought a Rolex Daytona

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by GordonC, Mar 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #1 GordonC, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm pretty excited, I just picked up a grail watch (to me, anyway) that I've admired for years! I know the 'ultimate' (most desired) Daytona is the stainless steel with white dial, second is the black dial, but I was never keen on those versions - the dials just didn't excite me. it's similar to my dislike for all-black interiors on cars, or silver exteriors. I love the vintage Panda dials and Newman dials, so was attracted by some of the dials offered on the white gold or yellow gold models - contrasting dials, or red pointers. However, I also like the two tone stainless steel and yellow gold Rolex models, like the classic GMT IIc two tone with black dial and bezel. Lately I've been thinking that I really like the combination of two-tone with Daytona, and had been looking at the options. I know the two-tone Daytonas are not in nearly as much demand as the stainless steel versions, but they really work for me, and since I would be the one wearing it, I decided to ignore the market preferences. ;)

I wasn't intending to buy for another 6 months or so, but we happened across a Rolex authorized dealer while on vacation this week and spotted my ultimate Daytona in the case, and when a small discount off MSRP was offered, decided to make the leap now. It's a two-tone stainless steel and yellow gold with the white Panda dial. I love the contrast of the black sub-dials, the touch of red, and the arabic numbers instead of the indexes on the hours.

This picture isn't my exact watch, but is identical. I'll post a wrist shot and with the 308 later on!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Desperado

Desperado Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2007
    Pittsburgh/Djibouti
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That's really nice. Congrats.

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

very nice. I also prefer the panda any day of the week. enjoy.

4. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Can't go wrong with a Daytona. Congrats!

5. richjar

richjar Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    What a nice watch, I love the Arabic numbers. For me, its the all stainless with black face 2013 model, I would love to own one- I have the opportunity to buy one (unworn) but its a lot for a watch and I have a few. But, like you say watches are such a personal choice. Enjoy your Daytona. Post a picture of your one.....
    Rich

6. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Nice watch Gordo, that colour combo is very tempting! I have the classic SS white face and you're right whilst acknowledged t be the supposed " one ' you do see a lot of them around on the wanna be celeb lists.
    I feel an addition to the collection coming on.

7. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Congrats mate!! Awesome watch! Looking forward to seeing more pics. :)

8. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I agree with your views on the SS Daytonas. As I have said before, they are as common as a Porsche 911 at a Starbucks. I much prefer what you choose. Striking. Congrats!

9. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    While I happen to disagree with the analogy offered here, and am quite satisfied with my SS White Dial Daytona, I am very happy for the OP. Nice watch!

10. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Thanks for the positive comments! My preference for the two-tone shouldn't be interpreted as a dislike for the SS, or as a comment on how popular or "common" they are - I'd have loved a SS Daytona with the Panda dial as well, and I've seen on rolexforum.com that there are a few people who have modified a SS Daytona by installing the white gold version of this panda dial, sometimes with red pointers. (On the white gold Daytona panda, the arabic numbers are outlines in white gold instead of yellow; the subdials are outlined in white gold instead of yellow; and the coronet and pointers are silver colour (white gold?) instead of yellow gold colour)

It was just a personal preference for me for the panda dial, as well as really liking the Rolex two-tone sports watches like the Sub and GMT IIc. Seeing the combination of panda and two-tone was enough for me to pull the trigger. :D

(For forum search assistance, the model number of the two-tone Daytona on bracelet is 116523 )

11. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    Are Arabic numbers standard? I was told these were only available for the gold watches.

12. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #12 GordonC, Mar 29, 2014
    Yes, they're standard on the white/black Panda dial on the two-tone Daytona. Arabic numbers are also on the Blue dial two-tone Daytona. Like the white/black Panda dial on the two-tone which is a variation of the white gold dial, the blue dial is only offered on the two-tone Daytona but is a variation of the slate dial on the white gold Daytona with leather strap, or the black dial on the white gold Daytona. There's also the rose gold Daytona with ceramic bezel and leather strap, that has a chocolate dial with Arabic numbers.

I had a choice of two tone Daytonas - the blue dial, the Panda dial, or the steel dial. Here's the blue dial two tone Daytona:
    http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l627/saleen1979/rlx2/911002.jpg

I have the 2013-2014 Rolex product guide pdf, here's three pages from it showing Daytona dials - the first row 116520 are the Stainless Steel dials, white or black; the second group are the two-tone dials, varying depending on bracelet or strap:

13. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Great passion for the brand - enjoy your beautiful watch with pride.

14. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Side note for Canadians buying a new watch in the US - Canada normally charges 5% duty on Swiss-made watches imported to Canada. I found out that being charged that duty is at the discretion of the customs duty officer, if the Swiss watch is imported from the US. I caught them on a good day coming home to Canada through Vancouver on Monday, and they did not charge me the 5% duty on the Daytona, only the 5% Goods and Services Tax.

Another side note for Canadians who have imported a new watch from the US - Customs advises that you should keep with you when you travel outside Canada a copy of your Customs receipt along with your bill of sale from when you imported the watch - phone photos of the documents will suffice. This will prevent potential hassle when you return to Canada with a new-looking luxury watch on your wrist!

15. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Nice watch. Enjoy it. Only 2 Rolex watches I like are an Bubble Back and a SS Daytona.

16. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Love the numerals!

17. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    Thanks for the dial education

18. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    That's fabulous man. I have the identical watch only in black and white gold. Stunning watch. Congrats.

19. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    #19 venusone, Nov 21, 2015
  20. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    Real carbon fiber, or fiber reinforced black plastic?

21. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Definitely real carbon fiber on a $200 watch. :eek::eek:

22. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Beautiful Daytona -- love the Panda dial w/ black sundials and the Arabic numerals make it "pop". Congrats

23. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I prefer SS Daytonas. of course I've also owned two silver 911s :eek:

(I don't like Starbucks though, does that count for anything? :))

congrats to the OP, that's a great watch. enjoy it well.