Watch for a suit; anything interesting 1000-2500? | FerrariChat

Watch for a suit; anything interesting 1000-2500?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by DriveAfterDark, May 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    I want a nice watch to along with a modern, formal dress. Is there anything interesting in the mentioned price range?

I'm open for suggestions. Has to look good with a leather band.

2. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    How about Longines? How is that for a brand? Their styling and prices are perhaps just what I'm looking for.

3. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    My suggestion is to check out a store locally and just browse or search something like Amazon.com for ideas.

Now the minimum of $1000, is that just so you are looking at a more expensive brand?

I have seen a few Tag Heuer Carrera watches in that range, Hamilton offers lots in that range, Baume & Mercier as well, and Maurice Lacroix. This is of course if you are looking more for a leather band.

4. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Thanks for the reply. I have been browsing Watchmaxx.com to get an idea of what's available at my price range, and so far I'm most intrigued by the Longines. Reading reviews and they say that Longines in general are good value.

Randomly said $1000 because I have had several sub 400-800 $ watches and always felt that they offer great initial impression but are not that great quality in the long run (easily scratched, even failed dials from time to time etc.). I'm assuming twice that price or more will offer a significantly better quality! I have no idea what I'm talking about, really :)

Your suggested brand names are noted!

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  6. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    Go to Ebay. type in Vacheron Constantin in watches. The first hit, $2499 vintage Vacheron.
    That should suit your needs ..... or is that needs you suit.... a vintage watch with a modern, formal suit. Classy

Also try Audemars. Patek may be a little above your price range.

Good luck!

7. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Jorg gray. Decent priced I have 4 of them the designs are stunning. Or a baume, Raymond Weil.

8. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    +1

I was checking those out at an AD a couple weeks ago and I thought they looked really good. Good prices for some good looking watches

9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  10. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Thanks for the suggestions! So far I like:

L2.673.4.78.3 Longines Master Collection Moonphase Men's Watch

and

Amazon.com: Frederique Constant Worldtimer Silver Dial Blue Leather Automatic Mens Watch FC-718WM4H6: Frederique Constant: Watches

They look absolutely stunning and different without too much bling (or am I wrong?). Read about Longines history and that's interesting. I don't know much about different types of mechanics in watches so I'm going to try and learn a little bit more about that.

11. FiveLiterEater96

FiveLiterEater96 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #11 FiveLiterEater96, May 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I picked up my Tag Heuer Carrera CV2014 on the used market for less than $2000. I absolutley love it and it looks great with either the stainless or leather bands.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #12 LightGuy, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014

The only problem with older Vacherons in that price range is that they are smaller.
    Otherwise a good used VC is way better than a new anything in that price range.

Also may want to check used Blancpain Villeret.

Here is a Muhle Glasshutte for $2K LNIB
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/muhle-glashutte-germanika-v-new-unworn-1026195.html
    A terrasport for about the same;
    http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6784419&rid=0#msg_6784419
    The Nautic Timer MG has become my favorite watch but its more sporty/utilitarian.

I like the Longines Diver but thats not what is requested. I like the brand in general.

New; also check out Nomos. A sleeper.

13. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    That is a great point! I was thinking though that for a formal dress suit you might not want a large > 38-40mm watch, like so many watches are these days.

14. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    That Longines is very busy in person and not very formal. Have you seen it live? I have always thought the quality of the dial let that watch down. Some of the Heritage Collections watches, like the Weems, are also very cool. If you could up the budget, look for vintage Longines chronos with the 30ch or 13zn movements.

If you want a more formal watch the Frederique Constant watches are good because their styles are based on Breguet, Patek and the ultra slim AP's and Vacheron's of the 70's.

15. Sleepy996

Sleepy996 Karting

May 1, 2014
    @MR.HOTEL_SLIPPERS
    I would keep it simple and get a older refurbished Rolex Datejust on a black leather strap. The watch is timeless and will hold its value if you ever decide to trade up. Just my two cents goodluck and that will be in the $2000-2500 range in good running order.

16. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Don't make the number one mistake guys make by wearing a sport watch with a suit. It makes you look like you couldn't afford both a dress watch and a sport or that you just have a crappy sense of style.
    So in your price range pick up a used Rolex DateJust in all stainless or stainless & gold. They are timeless and ooze class.

17. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Do you think that cuts both ways?

I saw a 50 something gentleman wearing a short sleeved golf shirt and shorts at a blues festival this weekend. Solid gold datejust ( I think solid, I dont see many of those but the light just came off the gold differently than I am used to seeing on gold plated watches.)

It didnt strike me as out of place on the guy due to his age and his lawyerish haircut, but it did strike me as something you'd wear to show off if you were wearing with shorts and a golf shirt.

18. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Tag Heuer Monaco.

19. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    #19 DriveAfterDark, May 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks for the replies, sorry that I haven't responded because I'm not able to make up my mind at this moment. There are tons of choices so it's a little frustrating.

I'm really, really loving this;
    Amazon.com: Frederique Constant Worldtimer Silver Dial Blue Leather Automatic Mens Watch FC-718WM4H6: Frederique Constant: Watches

For the record, I'm not buying a sport-swatch and I'm also not interested in buying used, so Datejust is out of the question. But I must admit it looks very decent with a black strap (picture attached).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Hmm why didn't I think about that one!? I always liked it, just about the only "square" watch I actually like. I'm going to check it out, the local dealers will certainly have these for me to try out!

21. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hey what do I know? But I will tell you something my dad always said, "its ok to be over dressed but it is never ok to be under dressed."
    So I guess back to my original point, sport watches and suits are a "no-no".