Anyone had any experience from buying watch on Ebay | FerrariChat

Anyone had any experience from buying watch on Ebay

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by richjar, May 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. richjar

richjar Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    Hi Everyone,
    Has anyone got any experience of buying a watch from Ebay???
    I have seen a watch on Ebay, it is in Switzerland, and I am in England.
    I am thinking of bidding from £4K - £6K.
    I think it is too much of a risk and a lot of chances for things to go wrong.

Should I pass on it ??
    Regards,
    Richard

2. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    Although I've sold Rolex, Panerai, and Tag Heuer on ebay, I'd never buy a watch there myself.

3. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    I have bought a few on there and not had a problem . Typically from a trusted seller and never deal outside if requested this way your purchase is insured and use pay pal ..

Gary
    Espada
    EtypeFHC

4. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I bought a Rolex from eBay for my sister. BUY THE SELLER, not he deal. If the seller is a trusted source with a good rep, you're probably ok. That said, I'm a US buyer and it was a US seller. Box, papers, authentic, good price. I would buy from him again.

I would probably not buy a watch on ebay if it were to be an international transaction. Not worth the risk to me.

5. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    A few and they were great deals. Honest people and nice value.

You need to be careful who you are dealing with. If you are comfortable, post the link and we can give you our opinions.

6. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    If you win the auction it's pretty easy to pop across to Switzerland from the UK especially if you're around either Luton or Gatwick. You could arrange to meet the seller to exchange funds and goods face to face. Also, don't forget CH isn't in the EU so the watch would be liable for UK VAT when you bring it back.

7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Bingo.

8. richjar

richjar Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    Good point on both accounts, thanks.

Thanks for the comments guys.

9. FiveLiterEater96

FiveLiterEater96 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I have twice now and both times I have had honest sellers and was able to get a great deal. However, it doesn't come without worry, both were purchased from private sellers, not retailers, so it was nerve-racking at times. As an extra precaution, I used a trusted credit card to make the purchases just in case something wasn't accurate.

10. richjar

richjar Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    Thanks for the comments guys, I had completed my research and was going to make a serious bid for it, buy the auction lot was withdrawn.........

11. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    ...so the hunt continues...