My Patek is broken | FerrariChat

My Patek is broken

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by italiafan, May 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    #1 italiafan, May 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Worrisome....I have had this watch for less than a year, and the most extreme environment it has been in is my office. Never knocked or banged, and always treated well.

I noticed that on the 30th of April it read date as 31st, which I thought odd but chalked it up to how it handled the 30-day month.
    Then a few days ago in mid day looked at the watch and it looked like it was in between May and June on the month calender.
    Tried resetting, but month wouldn't advance smoothly.
    I took it to AD dealer today, and they are sending back to Patek, but said it could take "months, as in many months."
    WTF!?
    Has anyone had similar problems with Patek?
    Am I just the unlucky one?
    When I get this watch back maybe I should consign it and move on?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sorry I have no useful information for you - just wanted to say ever since you started the "one watch for life" thread, I have had this model in my head. Beautiful watch. The service time thing really does suck though. I sent an AP in for routine service, nothing wrong, and it took 1.5 months before I got it back. Good luck and hope it's something easy. Just be glad it's under warranty!

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The bezel says otherwise. :)

I haven't had a Patek serviced. I have, however, had other Swiss watches serviced by US subcontractors and they were awful. I assume PP is a step above. However...

If you're going to wait a few months for Henri Stern in New York to work on it, I'd be upset.

If it's going to Geneva, and if it's going to return in perfect condition (which it should), then it's worth the wait.

Good luck! It's a wonderful watch.

Matt

4. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    I am no expert but do own a complications Patek (3940p). I have read on several Pakek boards about sticking date wheels. Not model specific but does happen from time to time with newer models. As for service expectations, many people wait 6-8 months for a service return. If your a regular pp customer and if watch is under warranty then your AD may be able to expedite...but don't count on it.

These are complex watches and pp grade techs don't just fall for trees so there is always a wait. For a perpetual calendar like mine, could be 8-12 months I have been told. Mine will have to go in for service in a few years and I dread it even now.

I willI hope you get your watch back fast and in working order as it a beauty and worth the wait (imho). As the saying goes...a pp is for generations. So a few months wait is but a blip.

All that being said...I would raise hell too!

5. zzzdoc

zzzdoc Rookie

Mar 10, 2007
    I cracked the crystal on my 5146G. It came back as new from Geneve 7 months later. My AD sold me a SS Daytona at discount to keep me happy. It was well worth the wait.

6. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    For 40 large what do you expect ;)

Kidding.

These are toys.

If you want a timepiece buy a Casio.

7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I know the picture makes it look like banged, but it's not, it really is a trick of the lighting. There are a few tiny scratches the iPhone picks up, but nothing else. Which I thought were odd too, steel bezel, but polished smooth. The watch has never been through anything more than working in the office, home, etc.

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Huh, is this the obligatory FChat snarky comment made to obfuscate?
    If I want to know the time I can look at my iPhone, so yes I know that.
    I want a timepiece to work, not fail in less than a year of ownership, especially when their marketing touts that they are the greatest timepieces ever created by the world's finest craftsmen.
    They charge over $45k for a steel watch because of that reputation.
    Wear it for 10 months without a second of abuse, back to shop for possibly 6 months...
    Now I am wondering.

Was looking to see if others have had similar, or is this truly a unique and rare occurrence.

9. rsflv

rsflv Karting

Oct 28, 2012
    RanchoSantaFe/Vegas
    I bought a complicated watch (ref 5036) from Tiffany's 10 years ago. After about 5 years, I had a problem -- don't remember what it was. Tiffany's reviewed and decided they needed to send to Patek in Switzerland for repair. I kept some of the email correspondence with Tiffany's and looks like it took Patek about 6 months to repair the watch. I knew Patek was slow, so it didn't bother me. I recall that the repair was estimated to be a few thousand dollars, but Tiffany's decided to pick up most or all of the repair cost.

Fast forward 5 years and no problems so far. I was in NY last month and took the watch to H Stern for a 5 year maintenance. While at H Stern, they take the watch to repair staff while you wait for an initial assessment of whether there are potentially bigger issues. None were found on mine, so just routine maintenance. The estimate on the repair form is 20 weeks.

I also bought a Grand Complication August of last year and no problems so far.

I have a few watches and am certainly not an expert on this, but as far as retaining value, I think it is difficult to beat Patek. The replacement to the 5036 is over double what I paid for the 5036 and appears very similar.

I think you just had bad luck. If you like it I would keep it.

10. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Sorry to hear and see that problem...

Question - is it a dual time zone using that 24 sub dial? If yes it could fill my annual calendar with GMT feature I'm looking for (albeit a bit over budget).

11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    No, unfortunately the 24 hr dial cannot be set separately.

12. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    #12 Patek, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
    I have had Patek's for a couple of decades. They do take their time. I just waited a month to get brake rotors sent from Italy . Not fun. But I wear Patek every single day. 3 months would be fast for them. I don't want any other watch.

13. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    These wait times, along with shoddy quality controls, are the norm in the high end watch industry (although I can't speak specifically to Patek.) Shortly after I bought an AP Equation of Time perpetual calendar, the date said April 31. I had purchased a new Blancpain tourbillon about seven years ago, and within a month the automatic rotor stopped actually winding the watch. Sent it back for service, returned three months later, no change. Sent it in again, and when it was returned to me two months after that they had fixed the original problem, but now when the crown was unscrewed the entire mainspring unwound. My AD took it back.

Having said that, my Nautilus Annual Calendar has been the most accurate and reliable watch I've owned. (Although, as I've mentioned before, I much prefer your configuration of White dial on bracelet to my black dial on strap.)

14. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Ah, first world problems ;) :D

The minute repeater has been surprisingly reliable. When I pull 12:59 it chimes 12:59 and for such a small watch, it has a surprisingly pleasant, clear tone. That said, it is not in daily use.

Regards,

Art S.

15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Minute Repeater!?
    :eek:
    (Bows head...we are not worthy..we are not worthy...) :)

16. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I have always wanted one of these, but every time I looked at them I had the feeling that they were just too delicate to last with my usual banging and crashing things around at times.

It used to be that Patek-Phillipe was famous for how thin and delicate they were - while things like the Rolex were more in the nature of a swiss army knife that could be used as a club if you got into a mugging.

I still want one - maybe someday, just to use on special Saturday nights and such.

17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    The Nautilus is their sport watch, with pretty good water protection.
    I suspect the problem is with the more complicated watches.
    I think if you got a 5711/1a, just has date, that it would be pretty rugged and reliable for regular use; though still not as "bullet-proof" as a Rolex to be sure.

In fact I am now once again wearing my 1998 Rolex Exp II, which before the Patek was on my wrist literally 24/7...gym, beach, ocean, tennis, showers, hot tubs, and never missed a beat...ever (it did need a cleaning once).

I think in hindsight I should have gotten the 5711...

18. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I had an AP perpetual calendar that was repaired and it took forever about 6 months . All I can say it was worth the wait . It came back looking brand new and I fell in love again . Yes it's expensive but worth the wait . Your Patek is beautiful just be patient my friend .

19. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Meh, it's a pocket watch. That said, it has the 31 jewel movement, original box and paperwork.

I've thought of having Patek recase a small repeating pocket watch movement in a wristwatch case but I've been distracted by other projects.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. The best mechanical watches bar none are vintage American made railroad grade watches. I believe the Hamilton Model 950 is the most accurate production, mechanical movement ever made.

20. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    As another point of reference, it took Breguet 4 months to service my watch (picked it up last week).

Best of Luck...

-dsd

21. rllucero

rllucero Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2006
    Santa Fe/San Diego
    Full Name:
    richontravel
    I have the same problem with my 5711. I bought it new in Jan. '14 and a month later the date was getting stuck between two dates. I contacted my AD and was told to bring it in next time I'm in town. I still wear it daily and for 2-3 months it appeared like the problem went away however, just last week it started up again. This is problem that some 5711 watches but not all. Yes, I was also told it would take a few months before getting it back from Patek.

22. bigcrown

bigcrown Rookie

Jan 20, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    italiafan-

This is a problem that a competent non-Patek repair guy can handle easily. If you'd like to PM me, I can guide you to a good repair person, depending where you are located.

(I'm a watch dealer)

Eric

23. PatrickJU1

PatrickJU1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2013
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Just had my PP5980 service it take 7 month !! Good luck !

24. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    This is terrible to hear. I've been eyeing a 5712 in the future. Hope these problems are not common with PP.
    Have you tried posting in Watchuseek or Rolex Forum (Patek subsection)?

Sent from my 16M

25. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I got my Patek back yesterday.
    Went to pick it up from the AD.
    They handed it to me in a sealed little plastic baggy.
    Charged me $80 for shipping, and said proudly that the work was covered under warranty.
    I asked what was wrong with it, what did they have to fix?
    She shrugged her shoulders and said they don't tell us that.
    I asked if there was any paperwork...no.
    I looked at the watch, and it was the same in appearance, no buffing or polishing of the bracelet for those fine little scratches, rub marks.
    The time, date, day, month, moon phase weren't set.

I looked at the sales lady and the owner of the jewelry store and said,
    "I buy a $55K steel watch that is worn in an office setting for 9 months, breaks, goes off to repair for ~3 months, no one can tell me what was wrong with it, you charge me for shipping, the watch wasn't even cleaned, and you can't even be bothered to set it to the correct time, etc. I am very unimpressed with Patek, and the service attached to this supposedly hallowed company."
    To which he said with a wry grin, "Well, it's like having a Ferrari."
    To that I had to chuckle and said, "That is why I got rid of my Ferrari and drive Maseratis now."