Missing complication(s)? | FerrariChat

Missing complication(s)?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Dino246gts, Jun 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    What complication(s) would you add to a collection that already had (not all in the same watch) a perpetual calendar, a tourbillon, a chronograph, a split second chronograph, an equation of time, a declination of the sun, a moonphase, and a 5 minute repeater (the minute repeater is going to have to wait). The only necessary additional complication I can think of is a power reserve indicator. I don't need an Astrolabium but really am interested in what other complications I'm missing. I do have an alarm, but it's electric. Oh, and a sundial, so I don't need one of those. Any help would be appreciated.

2. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Dead Beat second -- Habring
    Alarm - Breguet Reveil du Tsar
    Week -- Lange Zeitwerk
    World Timer -- JLC
    GMT - Rolex

Seems like a nice collection...

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Add some pocket watches.

Minute repeaters are much cheaper as pw.

A high grade railroad watch - the Hamilton Model 950 is the most accurate production mechanical watch.

Get something really old, like from the 1600's or early 1700's, the early ones are really neat.

Just my two cents.

Regards,

Art S.

4. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    Breguet makes some very cool alarm watches. In addition to the one DSD mentioned, the Breguet "La Musicale." It plays a little song and the engineering behind it is interesting. It also sounds really good. Only downside, it is more expensive but is very pretty and cool.

Breguet also makes a very pretty world timer watch. Again, it is expensive. It depends on your budget, but a world timer can be had for much less than the Breguet version.

Of course a Rolex GMT II is a cool watch and a good addition to your collection.

What about adding a watch or two that has multiple complications?

Or, as Art said, add some vintage pieces. While not highly complicated, they are very cool and different from what you have now.

5. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    I thank each of you for your ideas and suggestions. I will research each of them, although some of them, I am sure will be too expensive for me.

dsd: When I wrote my initial post I did not consider my Rolex GMT 1675 a complication. Duh! My wife-to-be gave it to me many, many.....many years ago as a gift in college. It still keeps incredible time and is absolutely beautiful... SS/gold, jubilee bracelet, black face, black bezel.

ArtS: I'm not much into pocket watches as they can't be worn on the wrist. I only have one pocket watch, a Illinois Bunn Special 163A. I bought it at a NAWCC years ago. I couldn't pass it up. Very near mint condition.

And to TheDuke: I do have an electric alarm chronograph made to commemorate the BMW 2003 M3/M5. Some friends of mine got together and gave it to me as a birthday present years ago. I don't know who was making watches for BMW at the time. It just says ///M Power on the front and is engraved on the back. One of the engravings says "Japan movement".
    I guess that means it's not Breguet.:)
    Actually, I do have a couple multiple complication watches, eg, triple calendar, moonphase, chronograph, and a perpetual calendar moonphase chronograph.

Speaking of Breguet. Are any of you familiar with the 3137? That would fulfill my power reserve complication need.

Truly, Thank you again for taking the time to think and write.

6. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    I'm sorry I am not familiar with that. It is a nice looking watch though. Other than seeing their watches in the store, holding a few, and hearing the "La Musicale" I have no other first hand experience. I can only say they look great :)

It sounds like you have the GMT covered. What about any of the world timers? Girard Perregaux made a cool looking ferrari world timer a couple years ago. They also made non-ferrari versions if you don't want that.

It all depends on your budget. ;)

It sounds like you already have a very nice collection. Best of luck in your search

7. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    Thanks for world timer the idea. I will check out world timers from other manufacturers as I already have a GP Ferrari chrono and as part of my collecting, in general, I try not to have more than one watch from the same manufacturer.

8. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Well, sounds like you've got the railroad watch covered - Bunn Specials are great. If you are not into pocket watches, then there is no point getting ones with complications and the really old ones, while cool, are not practical to wear in any case.

BTW, here is what i was talking about; a repeater from 1690: Verge Fusee Repeater Pierced Case Watch Simon Decharmes | eBay (scroll down for pictures)

You'd be the only one on the block with one :D

Regards,

Art S.

9. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    ArtS: That eBay watch was fascinating (and sold). The video was great. Not exactly my cup of tea though as I do like to wear my watches on my wrist.

10. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    #10 Dino246gts, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Since you all were so kind to give me ideas, I wanted to give you the followup.
    I did my research based on your suggestions and fulfilled two of my complication needs in one watch..... world timer and power reserve functions. Incredible watch......just got it yesterday. JLC World Timer.
    Sincerely, I thank all of you for your help
    Image Unavailable, Please Login