Purchased another Rolex and need advice | FerrariChat

Purchased another Rolex and need advice

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by pingi3, Jun 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Well the sad part was I was not even drinking. I have not been on eBay for awhile so I thought I would check it out and searched men's Rolex with leather band. I already have a Datejust in stainless and white gold and a yellow gold Presidential. Well anyway, I saw one and placed a max bid and forgot all about it. Really did not even think Id win cause a lot of bids and still 2 days left. But I won. Its a model 16030 with leather strap. Its pre-owned.

But then I was like wait... i remember the story about John Meyer buying a bunch of real Rolex's but with fake parts. Made me start to wonder. So my question is it says it has a new croc leather strap with genuine Rolex buckle, and end link. What is a end link and I thought Rolex did not sell new leather straps for older model watches? Or did this seller take a new strap and insert an original rolex buckle. It has the Rolex emblem on the buckle. It says 1984-1999 model. Is this common thing for sellers to do? And so if this seller went through the trouble of changing the strap and adding a Rolex part to it, you think this seller could have put in aftermarket internal parts?

No refunds but it does say all Genuine Rolex, guaranteed. And it has the eBay refund protection if not as described.

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Good luck....

3. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    Take it to Rolex. Claim you believe it is running slow or fast. They will open it up and tell you if it is fake. If it is take your documentation to Ebay and request a refund.

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I'm pretty sure Rolex will sell replacement straps for any of its older models.

Matt

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The endlink (not a factory piece) likely came from George in Singapore. I'm betting you have factory clasp with an aftermarket strap. Post a picture. They are one of the things I collect. I can help with your questions. Once I see what you actually got.

6. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    A 16030 is all stainless, no white gold. The 16234 is stainless with white gold bezel. This either means a bezel swap or 3rd party bezel. This would concern me much more than a strap issue.

3rd party straps with factory buckles are not uncommon.

My honest suspicion would be this is a genuine Rolex made from parts. Not uncommon for folks in the service/sales trade to convert a SS model to two tone with aftermarket links and SS clasp. If it's all genuine Rolex will tell you have a genuine parts frankenwatch and they would return it to proper form (put a SS bezel on it). Another thing to look for is a watch that has been converted from Mineral to Sapphire Crystal. These mods are done to sell the watch at a higher price ie sell a 16030 for the cost of a 16234 from available parts.

7. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Also, John Mayer knew damn well what he was buying. The seller, Rob Maron, has a tremendous reputation.