Oakley - Scuderia Ferrari Collection | FerrariChat

Oakley - Scuderia Ferrari Collection

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by IDriveM5, Jun 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Hey Fellas,
    Has anyone here purchased glasses from the SF Collection made by Oakley? I have worn Oakley sunglasses for all of my adult life, and have been happy with them. I've been looking to get my hands on a pair of the SF Carbon Blade (retail price: $450) sunglasses, but I haven't had any luck. They suggested that I order them online, but I have reservations about buying glasses before I can actually try them on. Call me crazy.

Anyway, was wondering if anyone here has purchased any of the sunglasses from this collection. If you have, please let us know how they're working out!

Also, is it "weird" to wear SF glasses while driving your Ferrari?!? ;)

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    If you have a fear of being "That guy", I think these are riding the fence, TBH.

Style wise, I'm not so sure they're worth the $$$ just to get the Cavallino, which is the problem in the first place. :)

3. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Fair enough, but to counter that, some of the frames only have a small SF shield inscribed on one of the lenses. They don't all seem to be ostentatious, but that's just my opinion.

4. Dadr

Dadr Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    I bought a pair of the SF Oakley Carbon Blades when first launched. They are extremely light and comfortable with just enough red accent and only a small etched shield on one of the lenses so not glaring as some of the other choices. The lenses are polarized and work well. I leave them in the Ferrari so I guess I am "that guy" but don't care. These replaced the Prada Carbon Fiber ones I have and are more comfortable, IMHO.

5. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Great, thanks. That is the exact model I am searching for. They are VERY hard to find! Surprises me a little because they're the most costly frames in the collection.

FWIW, I'd probably wear them inside and outside of my Ferrari. I have a pair of polarized Ray Ban Aviators I keep in there right now, and they look good. Just thinking of making a little change now and then.

6. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I used to be sponsored by Oakley and I switched to Rudy Project. They are made in Italy and far superior in both frame and lens quality, both in terms of optics and materials. Oakley makes nice stuff but for the money, Rudy Project is way superior.

7. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    It's kind of hard to "not be that guy" if you wear these glasses. If you don't care about other people thinking "you're that guy" then my or others' opinion does not matter to you, anyway.

8. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Ok, so ignoring the varying comments about looking foolish wearing these in an actual Ferrari, the original point of my first post was to see if anyone has purchased glasses from this collection, in these hope of learning if they are satisfied with the glasses.

9. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    They're no different really than regular oakleys. Just get them. Most people won't even notice the SF, and I think the guys are just busting chops.

Up until my latest pair of sunglasses, I've worn nothing but oakleys. I'm probably going back.

10. Dadr

Dadr Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    To be honest they really are nice sunglasses made of real CF and titanium. Very good eye coverage and extremely light as I said earlier. I see no difference between wearing these sunglasses than any other Ferrari gear ie Hat, Shirt, Shoes etc. In all actuality they do not say Ferrari on the outside so only the insiders would know anyway so even less visible than your typical hat, keychain or whatever. I got mine from the Ferrari Store online. You will like them and besides they match my official Ferrari underwear!

11. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Hey, you asked! :)

What's to be satisfied about? They effectively block UV rays and darken things for you?

The way I see it, glasses are all about the look, kinda like art for a man's face, much like jewelry. Very subjective. :)

12. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Raj, didn't mean to make you feel bad, but you kind of asked for an honest opinion. I myself own Ferrari paraphernalia that I do wear when I drive my Ferrari. I even keep my own set of Ferrari sunglasses in my Ferrari, as I bought the F355 glasses on Ferrari-store to specifically go with my F355. I have always worn F-paraphernalia since it has always been a dream of mine, since I was young. I have found over the years of Ferrari ownership, that I tend to wear less F-stuff when I drive my car then I used to. However, as I said, I really don't care if anyone labels me as "that guy". You shouldn't care too much about what others think. If you like the sunglasses, buy them and wear them proud. They actually look to be of high quality.

13. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I'm glad to hear that the glasses are well made, and that the people who have purchased them are generally pleased. I suspected as such, since as I mentioned, I've worn Oakley sunglasses for most of my adult life (with a few pairs of Ray Bans for assorted purposes). I'm still searching for them (SF Carbon Blades) - I have a couple of trips to larger markets (Chicago, NYC) coming up this month, so if they're in-store when I happen to be there, obviously I'll try them out and buy them if they look nice. Everybody selling them locally can't keep them on the shelf - I even visited a few shops at ORD last month and they told me the same.

Yes, sunglasses are just as much about their appearance as they are about protecting your eyes. Since they're polarized, they might wash out the screen of my Kenwood Pop-up Navigation system in the Ferrari, but I'm willing to live with that. My M5 has a head-up display, so I have to wear plain old tinted lenses in that car (as polarizing films almost universally wash out the head-up display in that car). I guess it's a good problem to have.

Also, to digress just a little bit, I tend NOT to wear Ferrari clothing while driving my Ferrari. The obvious exception is if I'm going to an FCA event or a Concours. Other than that, I generally try to avoid wearing Ferrari-branded clothing in that car, I don't know why. And, for some other unknown reason, I've come to realize that (for me) it's acceptable to wear these sunglasses while driving the Ferrari. I guess it's because, as Dadr has astutely offered, the sunglasses are really subtle in their branding. Some of my Ferrari clothes are a bit more, well, blatant.

No offense taken here - just trying to get to the bottom of the glasses. Glad to hear that Oakley has put forward some nice new products for Ferrari fans and owners. Thanks.

14. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    #14 IDriveM5, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    LOL

Timely update to this thread.
    I got a call from the nice people at my nearest Oakley store. They had taken my name and number for these sunglasses, and they were holding a pair for me. So, I headed down to take a look.
    I bought them, as I suspected I would do - pricey, but you gotta pay for premium materials. They are very high quality frames - carbon fiber all around. The hinges are indeed made from Titanium, and are colored Rosso. There are also some Rosso pads at the back, which basically are hidden by the ears. The lenses are really sharp - I put them on back to back with my polarized Ray Ban Aviators (with clean lenses) and the level of detail transmitted by the Oakley lenses was far superior. I really enjoyed the drive home with these glasses. I'm keeping them in my Ferrari.
    From the photos, you can hardly tell where the Ferrari emblem is located. On the steering wheel pic, look closely at the lens to the right of the picture, in front of the speedometer. There, you can see the SF shield inscribed on the edge of the lens.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Dadr

Dadr Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Great purchase! I knew you would like them. Now go enjoy a drive in the sunshine.

16. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Nice shape to those.....

Wear them well. :)

17. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Oh I like those! But I need to wear out my other Oakleys first...hmmmm or maybe loose them. lol

18. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I like the Ferrari Chainlink model. Right now, I have the Ducati Fives Squared, which I really like (even though I don't own a Ducati motorcycle).

The temptation is there to get the Ferrari Chainlinks...

19. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Thanks guys! Personally, I don't feel they're too terribly ostentatious - they certainly do make a statement, but it's not too far out there (again, IMHO). Also, it looks like the hinges and trim are close to a "Rosso Scuderia" color, and not so much "Rosso Corsa," that makes sense. They're really light weight, which is nice in a polarized lens model.

I showed my little girls these frames when I got home yesterday evening, and my older daughter wants a pair now too! :)

20. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
    #20 imcarnuts, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    I am also considering these sunglasses & the only thing I own with a Ferrari logo on it is an umbrella bought out of necessity at the PVGP because it was raining. Looks like you can get the same sunglasses from Sunglass Hut. Since the Sunglass Hut is everywhere, easy to order & if not right just return. Also less $$ than Ferrari Store.

Oakley Polarized OO9174 CARBON BLADE Sunglasses | Sunglass Hut

21. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The markup on all the Luxottica brands is pretty intense.

22. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    A guy in front of me on a flight last week was wearing an oakley bowling shirt, oakley watch, oakley backpack, and oakley shoes. The backpack had a built in sunglasses case and he had two more hard oakley cases dangling from oakley carabeiners on the backback.

Even if he worked for Oakley as a product rep or field marketing guy, it was a little much.

23. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    How are you liking them?

After a stint of about 1.5 years and two pairs of Arnettes and within 4-6 months peeling tint on the lenses I'm going back to Oakley.

Haven't decided what I'm going to get, but I've always been happy with Oakley and onky had peeling tint on 1 pair and peeling paint on another out of 5 or 6 pair I've owned. And those things happen after several years of regular wear.

24. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Good Question.

The clarity of the lenses remains outstanding. I'm very impressed by the lenses they put into this particular model (polarized / iridium). The outward facing lens color tends to be a little bit "loud" for my personal style, but it blends in with the Ferrari wrapped around.

The frames are light and very comfortable. Overall, I'd rate these at 9 out of 10. They suffer a point because I'm not entirely sure they're worth the full price, but they do seem to be pretty well put together. Without a doubt, one of the best pairs of glasses I've ever owned, and the best pair of Oakleys I've got.

25. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Nice to hear.

To be honest, no pair of sunglasses is ever worth the price we pay.