Watch purchasing | FerrariChat

Watch purchasing

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by ARTNNYC, Jul 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Ok so I am in the market for a new Rolex Daytona in either white or yellow gold including bracelet.
    I go to my "trusty" Ebay to see what is out there and prices. Seems there are several listings from multiple trusted dealers in the range of 26-28k OBO for UNWORN Daytona's. I decide to visit the local Tourneau store on Madison Avenue in Manhattan to see what they have to offer and they state a price of 34k for the same watch. Now I have bought some expensive timepieces from these Ebay sellers and have been quite pleased with the transaction after they have arrived. However, one cannot underestimate the power of the shopping experience of a lovely store, attentive personnel and such.
    What would you do?

2. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Check out the classified area of the Rolex forum. Much safer than ebay. Fair prices. Much less than the authorized dealers, plus no tax. Good luck!

3. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    another good source for watch prices is the chrono24 website..

4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    If you are in NYC, why not go to a high end watch auction?

Regards,

Art S.

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    If you buy online you're most likely going to be forfeiting your warranty. Rolex watches the AD's like a hawk and will pull their line in a minute if they feel they are being blown out the back door. This is why AD's don't discount unless they know you very well.

Now, there are some AD's that do it anyway... ;);)

6. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    In the case of a high end watch, you buy the seller as much as you buy the watch. Are you comfortable with this transaction on eBay, and do the *potential* warranty issues not worry you? If you answered yes to those, and probably some other questions, buy what you feel is in your best interests.

I've only purchased one pre-owned Rolex from an eBay seller, and luckily, it was a pretty smooth deal. I've bought over a dozen Rolex watches from my local Authorized Dealer, reaching past 6 figures. I have enough leverage that I can negotiate a close enough deal from my AD that washes out the savings from an eBay seller. So, it's pretty obvious how I choose to transact my watch business.

7. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Well I haven't bought one of these personally but I imagine they have room for negotiation. That might help you shrink the gap to what you are looking to pay, premium wise, for the personnel as you mentioned.

If you know another store maybe a little more out of town it might be worth a check to see if this is the regular retail price you could expect to pay from a store.

8. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

A pm to darth is in order!!!!

9. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Solid Gold Rolexs are not hot moving properties-- even the Daytona. Any AD should easily drop 20% on an all gold version.

10. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    +1. At least 20% or more...

11. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    save the $10k and donate it to charity.

12. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    And lose their Ad status if Rolex finds out.

13. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    In NY, you will find lots of gray market sources for new Rolex at a discount.
    I just bought one from Gil: [email protected]

14. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    No. I'm not sure how this rumor started, but Rolex allows discounts.

They don't allow you to wholesale to a grey market, which is different.

Every Rolex ad, except boutiques, will easily discount their gold watches.

15. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    True. In the worst years of the Great Recession, Rolex DID pull some dealer contracts (one of the dealers in my town lost their contract), and they would have you believe it was because of excessive discounting to move the stock. I choose to believe it was for their own reasons, like positioning their outlets to be a bit more rare to be stronger at the end of the recession.

My AD, who is a friend of mine, used to give me all kinds of stink about discounting these watches when I first started buying from him about 9 years ago. Always crying to me about how I was gonna make him lose his contract with Rolex, blah blah blah... He doesn't sing that song anymore. At his "Anniversary Sale" each year, he sets aside many Rolex and Patek models with a standard 30% discount (all varieties, SS, YG, RG, Plat, etc.) - no more no less, no haggling. It's a great opportunity to buy watches - I've bought probably half a dozen (or more!) at these sales!

30% discount on Rolex (and even Patek) to any Joe Blow who walk in that day. And my AD is still a thriving source of Rolex watches... Go figure...
    Don't EVER let them sell you the line about losing their contract, or about discounts being policed by Rolex. It's B.S., and they're just trying to squeeze every penny out of you. Your job as a watch buyer is to know more than the person trying to sell you the watch!!!! Period!!!

16. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Even if the AD warantee is off. How much does it cost to refurb a Rolex? $2,000 if it is a mess.

I have bough watches from Tourneau and have always been able to get a discount. My thought was you could always get atleast 30% off, but now I hear it's less. Never been much of a Rolex person, besides maybe an old Bubbleback and I would wear a SS Daytona.

Good luck and I would also reach out to Darth550 if I were in the market for a nice watch, he is the watch king.

17. Andrew@DiamondExchange

Jul 23, 2014
    Jerome,
    I recently came across your post showing interest in a Rolex Daytona. We are a new sponsor to fchat and I currently have a few of these models in stock. If you are still interested I would be happy to go over them with you. I am still getting use to the forum but try to get on here as often as I can. Feel free to contact me, Thanks
    Andrew
    410.329.1801 office
    443.690.6773 cell
    [email protected]

18. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Welcome Andrew,
    Please post a link to your website,
    John

19. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    Take a walk down to 47th street and visit the multiple dealers on jewelers row. BTW cash is king, and can help save you the taxes.

20. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Welcome Andrew, hope you enjoy everything that Ferrari Chat has to offer. :)

21. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I've never bought from a mall store. Always TimeZone or other forums.

22. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Tourneau prices are always nuts. In NYC Kenjo is the watch store to go to(though they don't seem to have the inventory they once did). If you ever head out to Long Island Maddaloni Jewelers in Dix Hills/Elwood and London Jewelers in Manhasset are great. If you wind up at London Jewlers, ask for Phil Basner.

23. Andrew@DiamondExchange

Jul 23, 2014
    We have 2 Locations in Maryland, One in Rockville, and One in Hunt Valley

Diamondexchangeusa.com
    diamondexchangebaltimore.com

Our websites do not show our full inventory and are focused more on the buying end of our business. They also display "retail" prices. If there is something specific you are looking for please feel free to call, PM or email me
    Thanks
    Andrew
    [email protected]

24. tuonoR

tuonoR Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2006
    +1 for Gil. Stand up guy and well known on car forums. Plus saves sales tax vs. a store.

25. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Thanks Andrew
    Welcome to FChat. I do not think I am speaking out of turn but there seems to be a lot of interest in AP ROOs and the PP Nautilus here.
    Do you have anything along those lines you might care to post?