Will the Apple Watch be a game changer? | FerrariChat

Will the Apple Watch be a game changer?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Dom, Sep 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Are we going to experience another decline/obsolescence of mechanical watches, similar to the quartz revolution in the 80's?

Or, will it simply be a short term fad?

What do you think?

2. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Being a lover of mechanical watches and having used a Samsung gear 2 for about the last 30 days, my answer is that the smart watch will totally kill the midmarket wristwatch industry. The future is not your phone in your pocket, it's on your wrist. Luxury mechanical watches wont totally go out of style and neither will cheap mechanical & digital.

I have not seen what apple announced today. Just answering based on my own experience. Smart Watches are a game changer. I assume apple came out with one today?

3. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I just went and looked at Apple's offering. A word of advice, Based on my Samsung experience I recommend waiting for the self contained phone unit from apple. Samsung is releasing theirs soon and I wish I had waited... being tethered to my phone is fairly seamless but the range is only 25 or 30 feet.

4. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #4 FarmerDave, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    For the first time in a couple of decades I'm going to get a wrist watch when visiting Switzerland in a couple of weeks.

it will be simple, clean and nice to look at.

I'm an app developer and I will be keeping a "watch" (pun intended) on how they can solve tech problems such as battery life and charging convenience (yet more cables, sigh..) and keep as thin and simple as possible with a clear display.

I don't feel in any way inclined to get an Apple watch 1.0 and will proceed with my intended purchase despite my hi-tech leanings.

For me I will know "we are there" when they can offer the tech advantages, have no power drawbacks, and match the dimensions, clarity, simplicity and weight of a watch of similar cost as I can get now.

I feel we are a ways off but a start has to be made somewhere to see if it is possible.

6. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Nope. Gadget for tech people. This will never be a mainstream product like a smartphone.

7. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    Its ugly as hell. You wont find one on my wrist.

8. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Won't change a thing in my world... but I'm an old fart

Jedi

9. wkumari

wkumari Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Warren

If you are looking to buy a nice watch, Switzerland is almost definitely not the place to do it -- it's a great place to look , just not purchase. I've spent many a happy hour wandering around Lake Geneva, looking in the windows of the manufactures, but the prices are almost always *much* better from an AD elsewhere (like the USA, Paris, possibly London, Athens, etc).

Of course, buying a Swiss watch in Switzerland sounds cool, but you'll be wasting a bunch of cash.

10. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    It will most definitely be a modest purchase and mainly for sentimental and utility value.

Also on the list is a "Swiss Army Knife" from where they are made, again just for memory and coolness sake and not necessarily hunting a bargain ;)

Like you I will be a browser for the rest!

11. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

agreed...nope.

12. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q2gH1PGTrg]Official Apple Watch Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

13. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    The Apple Watch "requires iPhone 5 or later." Many of its features appear to be driven by the phone. I don't think Apple has disclosed what functionality remains if you go out of range.

14. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I'm a youngster (32 years old), but I love all of my automatic watches. A smart watch might be a neat gadget to pick up, but it will never, EVER replace an automatic timepiece for me.

But, I'm also not one to check my phone every 30 seconds.

15. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    I predict the Iwatch will be a failure. Screen to small, cost too much, batteries drain too fast, sound too poor, doesn't do anything more than your phone already does.

Only Apple would have to audacity to call out the wheel on the side as some kind of "amazing breakthrough". The presentation seemed more like an SNL skit.

16. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    $349 on top of the cost of the phone. Not for everyone.

17. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    For actual real world reference, my samsung gear 2 battery lasts 3 days if the screen brightness isn't cranked up to 11. And it charges in about 3 hours.

18. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Too expensive for an accessory. But the average iPhone buyer thrives on showing off so who knows. I think the Android watches will continuesly outgun the iWatch on both spec and functions.

No way this is a gamechanger. Apple is just late to the party and wants a piece of the iCake.

I wear a watch on daily basis. Not many do that anymore. Will be interesting to see if wrist watches will get popular again.

19. rkuo

rkuo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2009
    California
    The fit and finish of this watch is well beyond anything in its price range. It will eat lower end watches for breakfast. I'm not sure that's enough for an Apple sized hit product, but there's something here worth looking at.

20. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Really? My dual zone Casio digital was $19.00 - does EVERYTHING I'd expect
    a watch to do and more - alarm, backlight, waterproof. light, visible display....

Could be lost in a river and I'd be out... $19

But then, I'm not an Apple Fanbois so that could be a factor.... :)

Jedi

21. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    The ONLY reason people wear watches today is for fashion. Who REALLY needs a Rolex?

If Apple thinks this is a fashion statement, so be it. I think it looks really boring.

22. rkuo

rkuo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2009
    California
    Yeah, so your complete utility digital watch from Casio ... Probably not. But fashion watches on the lower end ... Little gucci's, fossil, movado, etc ... Are going to be in trouble.

23. davemc9

davemc9 Rookie

Sep 19, 2014
    Personally I'd wear both - an Apple watch and a nice mechanical timepiece. Why choose?