1950s watches | FerrariChat

1950s watches

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by konatown, Oct 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. konatown

konatown F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2009
    Evansville, IN
    Full Name:
    Kyle Swickard
    I recently learned I inherited a couple older watches.

One is the watch my grandmother gave my grandfather on their wedding day in 1953, it's a Lord Elgin and it has some great patina. Getting the jewels replaced in it and will put a leather band on. I love the shape of this watch.

The other is a 1956 Bulova L6 but it's a Knights of Columbus members watch.
    It has even more patina but the crystal isn't scratched and no rust in it. Just having the watch maker get it running again. I want the original scissor style band to go with it.

I know these aren't the most valuable or collectible watches in the world but I think they're pretty cool and interesting. If anyone has a lead on an old scissor style band, I would be very interested. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Doesn't matter. I'm with you some of them are very cool.

3. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    Vintage watches already have what new ones will spend the next 50 years trying to obtain....great character! Yours are already there!

Sorry but don't have a beat on old bands. However you might list a WTB threat on Vintage Rolex Market (VRM) with model numbers and what you are looking for...this is one of the bigger vintage Rolex boards. But a lot of the bigger dealers sell other popular vintage brands, parts and pieces as well.

Good luck in there search and get them some wrist-time soon.

4. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    I don't have a special specific store; however, when I have been looking for vintage clasps, bands, etc I have found the Mallers Building on Wabash in Chicago to be a good source. Every store operates on their own and few of them have websites. I don't know if you ever get to Chicago, but definitely a great place for vintage pieces. You might want to try Father Time Antiques (also in Chicago). They have rebuilt two of my vintage watches (1939 Hamilton and a late 60s LeJour with a Valjoux 72 movement) and always seem to be able to find parts. They are not cheap, but they are good. Their number is 773-880-5599. Jim, the owner, can be somewhat laconic on the phone. Great pieces and good luck with the hunt.

5. NickH07

NickH07 Karting

Jan 19, 2014
    Greensboro NC
    Full Name:
    Nick Hawks
    #5 NickH07, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    that elgin is impressive, great looking case...
    heres my 1958 Timex Viscount crosshairs, one of timex's first automatics, it ran well until last week. I put it on a new Speidel leather strap, very comfortable... but slightly small
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    #6 OC Speed Junkie, Nov 30, 2014
  7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Oh I like that. It is the model before the constellation. I like that pie pan dial look.

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #8 jimpo1, Nov 30, 2014
  9. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Its probably easiest to get the band on ebay.

Regards,

Art S.