Your favorite shoe brand (for men)? | FerrariChat

Your favorite shoe brand (for men)?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by DriveAfterDark, Oct 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    I have had a lot of leather shoes. Bally, Corneliani, Porsche Design etc. But I recently bought a pair of Luis Vuittons (on impulse!) and was blown away by the quality. I always thought of LV as a flashy brand riding on the wave of their famous brown leather logo goods, thinking it was too tacky for my minimalistic and understated taste.
    They opened a store in Oslo a while ago and I checked it out for fun and found some shoes that I loved. Two months later I'm on my second pair :) I think I found my favorite shoe brand.

On the opposite end, I am disappointed by Hugo Boss' shoes (they're half the price, I know, but still not convinced by the quality of their shoes or suits! The Hugo Boss jackets are really awesome though)

What's your favorite shoe brand?

(Can upload pictures of my shoes if anyone wants to see them.)

2. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Salvatore Ferragamo

I have 15 pairs... Drivers, loafers, oxfords, sneakers... My favorite without question.

It's top quality without the 'flashy' branding plastered all over like Gucci, LV, or Prada. Understated just enough.

3. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Try Oliver Sweeney - great Italian made shoes;

Or Church shoes - amazing quality and great back up at the factory when it comes to a re-sole.

4. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith

Ditto

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    John Lobb for "formal shoes", without any question.

Rgds

6. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    I remember that I wanted to try them out a few years ago, and forgot about it... I will try to find a SF dealer (I never buy online..).

7. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Santoni for very special occasions.
    Tods for work.
    Hogan for informal evens. My favorite brand and the ones I use the most.

8. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Sparco.

I always have fun while I'm wearing mine :)

9. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    Depends on the occasion for me. Work I'm either wearing Pumas or Kenneth Cole dress shoes, special occasions or when I just feel like dressing up (and I know it's not going to rain) I toss on my Allen Edmons. Without a doubt, my favorite shoe and I take exceptionally good care of them! I'll toss up a shot of them when I get home this evening.

10. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    what he said...

11. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    I like Churh's. Classic design and high quality. I bought a pair of Allen Edmonds in NY this summer and is very satisfied. I wear Todds indoors and since we have snow and cold winters in Sweden, I just bought a pair of Cheaney boots for this season

12. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    This ^.

13. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    What makes John Lobbs shoes worth their money? What do they have that 500-700$ shoes don't?

My most expensive shoe pair is around 700. And they are of significantly better quality than the 300$ shoes I have previously purchased. Just wondering how on Earth they can top my LV's (which are a quality fetishisists dream).

14. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    In general, I would say Salvatore Ferragamo, as I have owned a lot of these shoes and find them to be of great style, quality, and comfort. However, as with the OP, the favorite pair of shoes that I own are from Louis Vuitton. The LV shoes that I have are unsurpassed in quality with cutting edge modern style. I get compliments on these shoes wherever I wear them.

15. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    Cole & Haan. Nice and soft. No bunion pain when wearing them. I prefer loafers as they slip off easy at the airport.

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You guys must have really narrow feet. No way I can get one of those on. Too bad. Some really cool shoes.

Magli fit me like a glove though. Most comfortable I have ever had. Just wish I could wear SF.

17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, the question of price is always a difficult one, of course. Is a $50 lunch twice better than a $25 one? Is a $ 1000 pair of shoes exactly twice better than a $ 500 one? Or simply” better”, but “better enough” to justify a much higher price? Plus I have to admit that I have so far managed to find discounted brand new pair of Lobbs for about 350 to 500 euros; expensive, yes, but not as much as you would think. I do not buy a new pair when I need one: I buy it whener I found one that I like at a price that I consider correct.
    Firstly, Lobbs are made in 6 (yes, six) different widths, so you can really find a shoe that fits your feet well (Of course they may also be – hand – made tailored to suit your feet more perfectly, but this is then more expensive).
    Secondly, the leather hold incredibly well as the years go by: it does not distort or distend, still maintains your feet exactly as it did when the shoes were brand new; the creases stay the same, and the shoes still look brand new after five years. And it looks beautiful, rather like the work of an artisan.

I have four pairs of Lobbs, all in different tone of brown, tan, camel, etc; I don’t like black shoes, even if I do have to wear black shoes from time to time, but I avoid this as much as possible. Only different tone of browns “do it” for me; to my eye it ages better, takes nuances and reflection that make the leather look even better as the years pass by. One Lobb pair I have is even the perfect match for the color of the Schedoni luggage of my 328…how about that!
    The four pairs I have are really aging very well, better than any shoes I have had so far, this I know.

Rgds

18. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    #18 DriveAfterDark, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. stevegtsi

stevegtsi Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2004
    i think allen edmonds are the best-and they stand behind them. they will also refurbish your shoes and they come back virtually new. unbeatable customer service.

20. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I like AE also. FYI the AE Shoebank is having another sale. I just picked up a pair of Fifth Avenue's for $219.

21. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    +1 for Cole Haan. I love their loafers!

22. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Some nice suggestions here that I hadn't heard of, thanks.

23. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    I will add my name to the Ferragamo crowd, but also mention Alden. If you are looking for actual cordovan (horse), they are one of only a handful still offering it. I've had a pair of their shell cordovan loafers for fifteen years, and probably wear them at least weekly. It's time for resole, but they will probably go another ten after it's done.

I have a pair of LV boots that are amazing too, but seldom wear them. I've also had good luck with a pair from Dunhill, but good luck finding a Dunhill shop these days.

JK

24. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Another vote for Allen Edmonds. I've got at least a dozen pair and picked up 3 more on Monday.

25. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    allen edmonds shoe trees are the best. The cedar keeps the shoes smelling fresh. And the springs don't fade like others