TAG repair they want $500.00 is it fair | FerrariChat

TAG repair they want $500.00 is it fair

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by f4udriver, Oct 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    I only paid $1,600.00 for a used TAG and the crown has been lost from the watch. I can be rough on my watches.
    I sent it in to TAG and they want $500.00 to repair it.

I have never had to repair a watch like this before and I am having a little bit of trouble with spending 30% of what I paid for the repair.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I was told the only place you can get a TAG repaired is directly from them. Maybe a missing crown is a big job. But it does seem pretty high to me. And I am always worried when a company controls the market like this.

2. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Eh. Is what it is. Of course they mark up repairs because it's a profit center... but yes it's annoying. Maybe search for 3rd party jeweler that can perform the repair? Would be cheaper than TAG store.

I paid $1000 for cleaning / fresh oil in my Cartier Roadster. I thought that was a lot for a $6500 watch. But it was at the Cartier store and they shipped it off somewhere.

3. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I JUST heard this story from someone else. Damn near exact same numbers. He chose to get an aftermarket crown and be done with it $100 later. I could tell it wasn't original but if he ever chose to go original he could.

GT

4. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Crowns are fairly easy to install by any watch repairman worth his salt.
    Generic will do.
    Ebay or the nets may have an original.

5. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    Is the stem still in place, or is the whole crown/stem combo missing? Either way it should be <$100 for the parts and 5 minutes to repair. I replaced my Omega crown and stem myself and only paid like $50 for the parts brand new.

Ofrei has genuine new Tag Heuer crowns for around $40-60, check it out!
    Tag Heuer Watch Crowns, Pushers, and Tubes

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    totally agree - find a watchmaker - usually the high end independnt jewlery stores or pawn shops have someone they can recommend ... authorized dealers have to send to the MFG's support people....

if you can get the back of its a fairly simple thing to replace the stem... you need a small pin or mini file/ probe - you press that into a small hole at about 4pm on the back of the watch and that usualy releases the stem ( assuming its a quartz watch) if its mechanical then it can be more intensive and you will need specalized tools... best to leave to a watchmaker...

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Reason # 9437859347523049587230 to buy from an A/D

Authorized dealers also sell watches with warranties so **** like this gets covered for free...

Buying online from "Whoever" is always a roll of the dice. Sometimes you're a money saving hero and others not so much. Sorry this happened to you.

8. 1stFerrari@71

1stFerrari@71 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2013
    Commerce, Texas
    Full Name:
    Joel Jacobs
    I have a Heuer languishing in a drawer.... $600 to repair a watch I paid $1100 for - nope.

9. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    sounds like they want to service it as well.

10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    My panerai stopped working after 3 years. They asked for$500+ to fix it. I thought it was pretty poor from a 3 years old watch that cost $6000. I put it in my drawer for 2 years and one day decided to fix it but that was my first Pam and my last.

11. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't get people's attitudes about servicing watches.

First, whether a $300 or $30,000 watch, a movement is a movement, a service is a service, takes the same amount of time, and should cost about the same amount of money (yes, complications add to the price.)

Second, it's a mechanical device that needs service. Would anyone ignore their car for years and then disparage the brand because it no longer worked? Servicing a watch is expensive and may cost more than it's worth, you would think that's a concept familiar to Ferrari owners.

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

If you are talking about service, if in the case of the OP, servicing costs 30% of total cost of the watch, I understand his reluctance to pay. When i service my porsche, it's usually 2% every 2 years.
    Now some people don't care (bless them!) But I do. I am not that liquid that I can spend 30% of my car value every 2 years just so it runs as the manufacturer intended. And while $500 is not a lot of money, it would still bug me that I have paid for a new watch after 3 services.

In my case I was just disappointed that my watched stopped working for no real reason and panerai wouldn't own up. I know it was out of warranty but that is not what I expect a $5k+ watch to do. And if it does fail, which can happen, I expect the manufacturer to own up and offer "some" gesture showing that he values me. They didn't and basically told me I was sol. So as I said first and last Panerai.

My ferrari watch (cartier) still works despite being 22 years old and much cheaper.

13. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    A lot of people feel that way, but the premise makes no sense.

For the sake of argument:
    A $300 watch has 100 parts, takes 4-5 hours to disassemble clean, reassemble, oil and adjust.
    A $6000 watch has 100 parts, takes 4-5 hours to disassemble clean, reassemble, oil and adjust.
    One service should be less because it's a greater percentage of retail value? To a watchmaker it's 100 parts and 4-5 hours.

14. JoeF1

JoeF1 Rookie

May 20, 2010
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Too expensive. Any experienced watchmaker can fix this for much less.

I personally hate when things like this are so expensive for no reason.

DIY FTW!

15. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #15 darth550, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    So then, for the sake of argument, Should everyone trust a mall watch repair guy with a Patek?

16. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Although that would be a completely different argument, no.

17. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Sending my Tag to have a new battery put in was $75 I believe.

Went to the local Jared's and they sent it out to Tag. Took a couple weeks. I believe when it's sent back you automatically get a little bit of a warranty on the work done should something happen.

Don't quote me on that though.

18. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I think you nailed it before when you posted their intent was to service it as well.