Rolex Repair Question | FerrariChat

Rolex Repair Question

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by cspaldi, Oct 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cspaldi

cspaldi Rookie

Jul 31, 2007
    I have a mid-1990's Rolex Cellini manual hand wind gold mens dress watch. I assume it has a fairly simple movement, as it has only hour and minute hands (no second hand and no date function).

After I wound it this morning to wear, it did not start running. It was last worked on about 10 years ago, when the stem fell out. The selling Rolex dealer back then shipped it off for repair, which I generally recall being pretty expensive and taking a long time (dealer in a different state now). When I last wore in on Sunday, it seemed to wind and run fine. The stem also felt normal when I wound it this morning.

My question is about the most cost effective way to have the watch repaired and guesstimate on what the repairs might run. Do I need to take it to the local Rolex dealer for them to ship it off, is a reputable independent repair shop an equally appropriate choice (and any recommendation for the same), or might I be able to get by (because it is a simple movement with no water resistance) taking it to the watch repair person at the local good jewler that sells many fine Swiss watches (but not Rolex)?

I am located in Central Virginia, if that matters.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

2. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Hello,
    if COST is a major factor in having this watch restored to operation, then find your closest, reputable independent repair facility. You might check on some watch-related forums where they might be able to recommend a specific shop or company.

As far as the cost, it's a crap shoot. I have no guess to offer. But, I'm fairly confident a good independent repair company will be less costly than sending this nice Cellini to Rolex. I've never had a Rolex repaired, but a routine service (at my independent watch maker) costs between $300-$400. Personally, I'd stay away from a watch repair person at a local jeweler because I've heard some horror stories about that route.

Good luck.

3. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    If it's an important watch to you personally, you can take it too an authorized Rolex dealer for service. If it needs significant work, they will probably send it to the Rolex Service Center located in Dallas. If you don't have an authorized dealer near you, you can contact RSC directly and send it to them. Costs for a basic Rolex with no functionality is probably $250-400 of I were betting. I have had them do a full service on a Daytona which is more complex and that runs around $500-$750.

I can recommend one highly regarded independent that specializes in Rolex service. I have used them for several expensive vintage Rolexes. Contact Edvi at ABA WatchWerks. They do great work.

ABC WATCHWERKS, INC. - HOME

4. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ABC is the place to go don't bother with the service center. Be patient though, it'll take them a few weeks.

5. cspaldi

cspaldi Rookie

Jul 31, 2007
    Thanks for the information!

6. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    You should probably have the watch serviced at belt change intervals. Every 5-7 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Duc5150

Duc5150 Karting

Jul 12, 2012
    The OC, So CA
    Here's another vote for ABC Watchwerks...wouldn't even consider going anywhere else.....

Todd B. in the OC

8. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    I used the Rolex shop in San Francisco there on Post St for the past 37+ years on all our watches, they charge RSC prices, and recently changed hands (no pun intended) $650 - $750 per service and depending on other items like crown and tube replacement.

The next watch that needs service will be going to a local Rolex approved service center here in Tallahassee. I want to see if there is a difference
    besides cost.

I have ours serviced when they no longer keep time or something breaks.....like a crown getting stripped.