Military watches? | FerrariChat

Military watches?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by WJHMH, Oct 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    #1 WJHMH, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A friends son will be going into the Marines basic training this coming January. I had brunch with him & his family & he was admiring my G-Shock rangeman GW9400-3. I was told by him that he would be needing a watch for basic training & the Corps doesn't provide one. (not sure if the is true)

I thought about getting him a watch as a gift but can anyone else make any recommendations for a cost effective timepiece?

Here's a photo of my rangeman.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I like that. What are the three sensors sensing? Barometer, altimeter, temperature?

3. FiveLiterEater96

FiveLiterEater96 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #4 FiveLiterEater96, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Just my $.02, Basic is EXTREMELY hard on your body and your personal items.

I highly recommend buying a $20 watch at the PX, using it for the 3-5 months of training, then when he goes to MOS school, or whatever secondary school, than invest in a nice gift for his graduation.

My POS still ticks that I had at Basic, if it had been a nice watch, it would've been scratched, dropped, smashed and dragged through the rocks and mud...

And no, the Military doesn't provide those types of things to it's recruits (running shoes, watches, insoles and other "comfort" items go a long way :)

5. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    i got the cheap indiglo watches. sometimes the indiglo light helps out plenty when you really need to find something in the dark.

6. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Agree with this. Except I just read that (at least in the Air Force, which is where I'm from), they no longer let you bring your own running shoes to BMT. They issue everyone the same model of all-white New Balance athletic shoes.

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    One day out fishing (and drinking) I decided to field test my G-Shock so I took a 2 pound weight and dropped it down about 100 fathoms.

It came back fine.

8. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Military version;

Give-a-****, gas left in the tank, and push ups.

9. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    10 years ago in the Army, at the 30th AG you "bought" running shoes and any other things you might need from the PX before you went to Basic. Everyone is fitted for running shoes based on their feet (stability, motion control, etc). You could also buy a watch.

I foolishly wore an Omega, which I swapped out for a cheap Casio. The only thing a watch at Basic needs is light, a big ass readout, and maybe a timer (although many events prohibit watches).

If you are spending more than 60 bucks, you are spending too much. When I was on the teams I wore a big fancy Suunto and then later a Luminox.