Trade-In Advice...Seamaster for Submariner | FerrariChat

Trade-In Advice...Seamaster for Submariner

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Formula Uno, Nov 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Hello Fellas, hoping to get some advice here, since I have never traded a watch before.

I have a Omega Seamaster Automatic, which I purchased new in 2002. It is in perfect condition except for normal wear marks on the steel clasp.

I would like to trade it towards a used, entry level, Rolex Submariner.

Since I am new to this game, I am hoping to get some input...especially what is realistic to expect with pricing.

Thanks Fellas, and ANY advice that you can share with me will be greatly appreciated!

2. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Much better off selling it outright, most dealers aren't gonna give you squat for the Omega.

3. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    List it here with some good pics and see what happens.

4. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    timezone.com

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Sad too since they're great watches. Dealer might give you .20 on the dollar.

6. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Thanks guys. I had my Seamaster appraised and was offered only $800 bucks for it (to be resold for $1,200 or so) so that was a deal breaker for me.

While there I tried on a used Submariner that they had on sale for $5,200 bucks and I wasn't that impressed with it. I think that the Seamaster has a MUCH better band....the Rolex band felt light and cheaply made. I also liked the fact that the Seamasters face is a bit bigger than the Sub, and the Saemaster has a heavier feel to it.

With that said however, I would STILL rather have the Submariner but to me it is not worth 6X the price of my Seamaster....I will just keep it:)

7. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    At $5200, I am guessing it was an older Sub

8. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    I think it was a 1991 with no calendar window

9. FiveLiterEater96

FiveLiterEater96 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Why? Don't get me wrong, I've always thought the Submariner was something special, but if you don't like it and it doesn't compare to what you already have then why change?

10. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City

Hi Drew...I agree with you about the Sub being something special, so I guess that's why I thought of getting one, however my Sub bubble burst when I looked at them both side by side. In my opinion anyway, there is no way that the Sub is worth so much compared to my Seamaster.

The comparison gave me a new respect for the quality of my Seamaster and I am keeping it.

11. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I love both the Sub and Seamster. The new Sub's micro-adjust band is so much nicer than the older solid link bands.

That said, I think the Sub is a bit more magical than the Seamaster and will certainly hold value better. The Seamaster is a great buy used (as you found out) and just as good a watch, I just prefer the Sub.

Best,
    dsd

12. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    It's not so much that a Sub is special, per se, it's just that it's a staple watch to have in any collection.

Versatile too.