I have never had a nice watch before | FerrariChat

I have never had a nice watch before

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by proof69, Nov 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014
    i want to spend under 10k. Which watch holds the best resale value? I would also like one that is aesthetically pleasing.

2. riozilla

riozilla Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Aesthetically pleasing is such a personal and relative thing. What you may find beautiful, somebody else may find to be garish.

Under 10k I like IWC (Portuguese, Big Pilot, etc) or maybe a Panerai or Rolex?

I like and am wearing an AP Royal Oak but I don't think you can get them for under 10k. Mine pre-owned was 14k.

3. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

I can pick up a used Patek Phillip from Govberg for under 10k. I just don't know if that is a good deal. I also want a watch that holds good resale value in case I change my mind about keeping it. I looked at some Used Rolexes from Bob's in Huntington Beach. The buy sell spread is about 30 percent. I always thought the buy sell spread on Rolexes was very tight. 30 percent doesn't seem tight to me. I am new to the market so I really need to educate myself.

4. riozilla

riozilla Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Austin, TX
  5. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    The buy/sell spread at a commercial entity like Bob's will be greater than on the open market like Timezone. Bob's needs to make money on the transactions.

I would think a Stainless Rolex Sub would be the best in terms of holding its resale value. It would be a very easy watch to sell. Sub $10k Pateks may linger for sale longer as that is a pretty limited range, and generally not much demand for those (I'm guessing a base Calatrava or Aquanaut is what you saw, possibly a Gondola.)

That said, buy what you like. A watch is not an investment. Don't buy a Patek you dislike simply because its a Patek.

-dsd

6. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    I would be extremely careful dealing with Govberg. I owned a BNIB (papers, box, complete) Patek 5015R and was looking to sell it. They offered me $12k ~ insulting rubbish.

7. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    30% spread is too high, but he's a dealer. What do you expect? :)

Steel Rolex can be bought well new as well as used/grey and hold value nicely. (My GMTIIc was purchased brand new for $5300 - a 28% discount at the time - from an authorized dealer, for example.) As mentioned, a sub is probably best.

If you're looking for a bargain, two-tone Rolex tend to get crushed in the used market for some reason. (So do ladies' Rolexes, but the reason for that is obvious.)

Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum is similar to FChat in that it is a great enthusiast forum where you can learn the market and which dealers have good/bad/ugly reputations.

Have fun!

8. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Get the Mickey Mouse watch with the yellow hands. Classic and might still be under 10K, that is if you act fast.

There are about 360 good places out there that service them so you might want to call them all to make sure in advance who's gonna oil your baby.

Post pics when you get it! :D

9. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

What is the wholesale value of that watch?

10. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

Thank you.

11. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

Mickey Mouse? Thanks for the Insult.

12. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    Find yourself a really nice, slightly used Rolex Sub. Great watch and will hold its value better than most.

Check out The Rolex Forum classified section as mentioned above.

13. Patriot

Patriot Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    Under but nearest 10k for reliable resell it has to be Rolex for any of its stainless sports watches. At any price under 10k I would consider some traditional Omega models. The watches that have a long history are the watches that can be resold the easiest. So on the "low end" but an absolutely great watch I would include the Omega Speedmaster (Moon watch) and some of the other Omega's. Panerai etc. tend to be much riskier in my view. And then on the really low end and an absolutely great watch is the Seiko Divers (e.g. SKX007)

Harder to say for dress watches but again I would probably say Omega (DeVille), maybe JLC and IWC (not sure they sell anything under 10k).

You buy new and flip it within 10 years regardless what you buy you will likely get killed. I am a big believer in buying used directly from the owner if you have the wherewithall to limit and stomach the risk. Established gray dealers with a good reputation is a valid option to lower your downside and get more value for your money.

14. Patriot

Patriot Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    Proof69, seeing your other post, concerning buying a Patek under 10k. I think all Patek men's watches are mechanical, all are highly respected for their quality, and from that standpoint it would be a very good, arguably great deal. But from a resell standpoint, you must be talking about a small watch, an unconventional style, or one where there is something else wrong (damaged, redialed, etc.). Nothing wrong with that, just that in today's world they lack desirability and the price reflects it. Check out prices on Patek pocket watches to see what I mean. Without knowing more though, if you like the watch and it is a Patek mechanical in original excellent condition (preferably never polished) you will likely be able to resell it and not get battered too badly. A Patek is always a Patek.

15. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Darth's reply was quite clever, and actually hinted at several factors you (especially you) need to consider. Ignore the Mickry Mouse, read it again. I doubt the '360' was a randomly chosen number...

Given your concerns about wholesale pricing in your Ferrari buying thread, and especially given your servicing cost concerns, you should do more homework about the servicing costs of high end watches. If you can find a Patek for under $10K, can you still stomach the service costs when the AD wants to send it to Switzerland for several months and a thousand dollars +/- cost?

16. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Is this the same proof guy who said that if he had a $2000 repair bill on his 360
    ( that he will never have, as we all know) he would sell it ?

You are hilarious dude ! Being banned for a week for trolling is one thing,
    being unwanted on the Forum is another.

What's next, trolling the "show your boat section here". Unreal.
    Don't feed the troll.

17. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

I have spoken with the moderator and he knows i am not a troll. If you don't believe speak to Neuro Baker. We have had a number of discussions.

18. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Just because he didn't permaban you doesn't mean you're not a troll, it meant you were a troll and to stop trolling from now on if you want to stay.

He was being nice.

19. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

Tough crowd.
    (Dont talk him out of his dream)

20. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    fixed

21. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    For 10K my choice would be a Rolex President. I've always loved them.

22. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

I have always liked those.

23. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #23 NeuroBeaker, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a Rolex Oyster Perpetual in stainless steel and absolutely love it. I'd highly recommend Rolex. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

PS:
    Here's a picture taken just now.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

That looks really nice.

25. darth550

Lifetime Rossa