Who/where/how to get radium dial refurbed? | FerrariChat

Who/where/how to get radium dial refurbed?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by David_S, Nov 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Have a very dear (to me) Tudor bumper watch from the '40s with a radium dial.

Unfortunately, the seal/ o-ring failed & let it some sweat/moisture.

This caused not only the watch to finally cease working (easy, if not cheap to get that fixed), but also for some of the radium paint of the dial to come loose.

Is there ANYONE who can re-do a dial in radium? Sorry, but tritium or any other substitute I've seen just won't cut it. This watch could be read (if you had the eyesight) from 40+ feet in the dark when it was in good condition. Won't bother repairing it if it can't be as it was.

2. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  3. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Thanks, Kevin.

Actually, I'd read that a time or two.

Not saying for a minute I want to be responsible for some modern day "radium girls," but damn - there is NOTHING I know of that will replace that original level of "lume."

4. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have been impressed by tritium. Is there no way to add some tritium markers? Oh enough with that..upload a picture already! :)

5. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    My Panerai had tritium markers hands that the manufacturer demanded be replaced when I sent it in for service. It chips and would get in the movement. If I wouldn't let them replace it all, they wouldn't service it going forward. Not sure what they replaced it with but tritium was a no go.

6. dfratini

dfratini Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 31, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Fratini
    David,

One thing to think about before you go forward.....redoing the dial will most definitely reduce the value of the watch if you or your heirs should ever decide to sell it. For an older watch having the original unrestored dial is a big part of the value.