Any vintage Heuer experts here? | FerrariChat

Any vintage Heuer experts here?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Jack-the-lad, Dec 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    On page 113 of Jesse Alexander's book about the Grand Prix of Monaco there's a picture of Phil Hill wearing a chronograph. To me it looks like it could be one of the many iterations of the Heuer Carrera or perhaps Autavia.

The image is not very clear and it is impossible to read most of the dial, but major elements like the shape of the lugs, the colors, positions and relative size of the sub-dials, etc, are pretty apparent.

I'm hoping that someone here can identify the watch.

I can't post pictures (sorry for the lack of computer skill) but would be glad to email the images to you for review or for posting here. PM your email details to me and I'll send the pictures.

Thanks!

Jack

2. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #2 Jack-the-lad, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  3. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    #3 dsd, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Great watch - I love Orignal Heuers... they are so classy.

the Tag Heuer watches just dont enthrall me like the orignal ones. My dad has an orignal Autavia two register chronograph. great watch.

5. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    #5 Dino246gts, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've got one too. Love it! $88 and a Viceroy box top in 1972! Goes well with the car. Also 1972.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. thetimekeeper

thetimekeeper Rookie
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2014
    Calabasas
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I actually know someone who has this piece. If he's willing to part with it I'll shoot you his contact info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe

8. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    I would'nt say I am an expert,but my favorite Heuer is the Monaco. You may know that Steve McQueen ordered a number of these from ,the then unknown Swiss manufacturer,and handed them out as thankyou presents to various drivers that helped in the making of the film Le Mans.These gifts are now seriously valuable. From then,with all the publicity,the Monaco has remained the racing drivers watch. There have been a number of limited re-issues. I have an early on which still has 'Heuer' on the face. The later ones have TAG-Heuer,after Heuer sold out to Techniqes d'Avant Garde.

9. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I thought the "panda" was the 2447SN and the 'T' stood for whether the watch had a tachometer scale on the face. May be bad memory on my part -

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Yep, That is exactly the one my Dad has. his came with a leather strap, which has since dissapeard. and has a steel bracelet. superb watch. And looks totally correct in your Dino!

11. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I have an original Monza. same movement as the autavia except mine has a black anodized case and leather strap. my father gave it to me as an xmas gift when I was in 7th grade.

it was an extravagant gift at the time...I think it would have retailed for approx.$200.

12. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I think you are absolutely correct.

The movement is a V72.

Great piece if you can find it!

13. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    They're beautiful watches no matter what they're called. And if you can find one, grab it!

I'm torn when it comes to the new ones - they're great looking and a good size (for me), but I'm not sure I love the red accents. To me the classic "panda" black and white is perfect in its simplicity.

14. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

the original "heuer" logo is one of the most memorable of all for me. it literally gives me visions of watches and red Ferraris :)

adding "tag" was always regrettable to me:(

15. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Buy them with the Valjoux 72 - you won't be sorry.

Same base movement was used in the Daytonas of that era.

Very cool watch.

16. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    Agreed. And as cool as the caliber 12 watches are, they are a bear to keep running if anything fails.

17. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    The V72 will be easy to keep running. Its a work horse. Honestly, looks like an original is about the same price as a new reissue. $6-8k. Problem with the original is finding one.

18. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I would add, if you are serious and willing to spend up to $10k for the watch, I have some suggestions for you. Feel free to PM (I will just pass contact information, I am not a broker and have no interest in any sales).

19. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #19 GordonC, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I absolutely agree! I recently bought a Monaco re-issue, from 1999 - the CS2111. It has the Heuer logo without TAG, and three subdials, and the lack of TAG was what sold me over the newer/current Monaco models.

20. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    Thats the one Gordon A' timeless ' timepiece. Smart shirt too!

21. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Hold out for an original. Watches like that are pretty good places to park money. The reissues are very cool, but. . .

Everything with the v72 movement is getting more and more expensive, especially if it is sold by someone like Tag, Rolex etc etc

22. Prugna

Prugna Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Unites States
    Is that a "Natty" brand shirt?

23. 12097

12097 Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2007
    Regina, Canada
    I currently have a Tag Heuer (link)that I have had for a number of years and love the watch. Lately, I have been thinking about a second watch and am considering staying with the same brand.

I was recently looking at a new Heuer 211c.FC 6241.
    I noticed the crown on the "left side" of the watch.
    The original McQueen watch appeared to be configured this way and appears to have been worn on the right wrist (South paw style).

I like the fact that this is a limited edition watch. However would it look out of place to wear the watch on the left wrist given the location of the crown?
    (If so, I can wait until a more conventional configuration comes available.)

Thanks for your input.

24. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I'm now looking for a Heuer Carrera 2447NS. If anyone has one for sale or knows of one, please let me know.

Thanks!

Jack

25. 8339

8339 Karting

Oct 17, 2006
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Check out two sites, the first onthedash.com the definitive guide to Heuer and then go to Farfo.com for vintage watches