Ebay watch buying advice.. | FerrariChat

Ebay watch buying advice..

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Southpaw F1, Jan 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Southpaw F1

Southpaw F1 Karting

Mar 11, 2013
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mitchell
    I am thinking of buying an old vintage watch through one of the ebay stores but I am having a difficult time knowing which sellers have authentic watches and which ones have fake watches. In other words, I don't want to pay for a fake watch that is only worth a small fraction (if any) of the real version. I know you can use the serial no. as a source of verification but is there a website or database showing that the serial no. exists? Some sellers have a two week return policy which would be enough time to have it verified through an Omega dealer but others don't and I can't just take a seller's word that it is real. Another factor making this ebay buying process difficult is the vast amount of sellers who are located outside of the US. Is the feedback report something I should take into consideration? I don't want to stick my neck out too far on my first online watch purchase. I am particularly interested in a 50s or 60 Omega Seamaster with either a wind-up or automatic mechanism. This is still a nice classy watch at a fairly cheap price depending on the condition. I am excited on owning my first wind-up or automatic watch to get my watch collection moving forward and I thank you for your advice in advance.

2. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I think with ebay the following statement is pretty true:
    By the seller.

That means, if the seller has an excellent reputation, with many many previously confirmed authentic sales, then the seller is not as likely to sell you a fake and risk their reputation.

Outside of that, get as many pictures and ask as many informed questions as you can of the seller, which should give you a sense of the legitimacy.

I purchased a pre-owned Rolex from ebay for my sister. It was my first (and only) pre-owned Rolex purchase, out of at least a dozen I've bought for myself and my family members. I was confident in the seller, so I was OK with the purchase. After the sale, the watch ran very poorly, and the seller was apologetic because I left a "neutral" review. I didn't ask for any compensation, but the seller offered it. The watch was authentic, just wasn't running well, so it needed a complete service. He split the service cost in half with me, we all walked away satisfied.

3. jpohl402

jpohl402 Formula Junior

BUY the seller (as opposed to the product.)
    But it's virtually all the same right? ;)

4. ocr

ocr Karting

Dec 16, 2010
    Huntington Beach Cal
    Full Name:
    Glenn Morrow
    I can see where this could happen to a used watch. Probably needed a service.

5. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Read the feedback. I have found that "ok" sellers can still have positive feedback. E.g. "as described" "good seller" etc. Never spend more than you are afraid to lose. Check to see if they accept returns. I have a vintage watch shop "pre approve" anything over $1000. By that I mean, I have a shop that I use to clean my vintage watches. As a courtesy they will look on eBay at a potential purchase and let me know if they have any concerns.

6. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    I am not a fan of ebay for buying watches.
    You must buy the seller and there are too many ways to game ebay ratings.

Alternative option:
    There is a list of well vetted vintage watch sellers in the attached link. The people that built this list are well known and respected contributors, owners and buyers of vintage watches. It's in the vintage watch section on The Rolex Forum. The sellers all have great reputations and deal in all sorts of vintage watches, brands and price ranges.

List of vintage watch dealers - Page 16 - Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum

7. Southpaw F1

Southpaw F1 Karting

Mar 11, 2013
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mitchell
    Thank you all for the great advice! I'll do my research on the sellers and their transaction history before pulling the trigger. Time to look into what Rolex Forums has to offer. I will keep you guys posted on my process.

8. Robert85

Robert85 Rookie

Jan 28, 2015
    I bought vintage watch for my wife at Ebay last year, it was fantastic. But for Christmas I ordered at authenticwatchstore Fossil watch for my brouther with a very good price. I am satisfied with my purchase