Contact to Sell Important Watch | FerrariChat

Contact to Sell Important Watch

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Qksilver, Jan 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hello Gentlemen,

Does anybody have a contact or guidance re: selling a rare vintage watch? Perhaps somebody at one of the Auction houses or an international broker of sorts?

Thanks,
    Joe

2. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
  3. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks! Will reach out.

-Joe

4. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

What kind of watch ? I may be interested. I've been purchasing important jewelry and watches from the same location over 30 years. I'm happy to give you a ballpark even if I'm not interested.

5. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
  6. Andrew@DiamondExchange

Jul 23, 2014
    Joe,
    We are a recent FChat sponsor and deal in high end and vintage time pieces. We have recently had some positive transactions here on FerrariChat and have plenty of other references. If you could give me some details, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring...

7. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for the responses here, guys!

8. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I'll give you a call later to discuss. Thanks for reaching out.

9. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The watch is an heirloom, a Vintage 18ct Buccellati perpetual moonphase. While Buccellati doesn't make watches that are generally revered by horologists, the brand is celebrated and known for feted jewelry and craftsmanship.

This particular piece is a grand complication that, as per Buccellati boutiques in Italy, likely was a special commission by Mario Buccellati himself, as he was known to do. Further evidence is that that the company didn't get into watches until much later as well as the fact that pieces from Mario's personal collection were generally labeled as "Mario Buccellati" (as this watch is) rather than simply "Buccellati."

The most important aspect, aside from the history and craftsmenship of the brand, is the complication. It elevates this particular piece into a different strata, away from the conventional wisdom regarding Buccellati watches and into true horological royalty. I'm going to verify the movement in the next few weeks, but my suspicion is that it may be the cal. 665 used in Rolex's contemporary 6062 (1950's/1960's).

I'll post pictures when I get a chance, but given the description, you can see it's a bit of a unique situation. The watch is something very special and historic, however the brand is not historically horologically pedigreed. It's a Frankenstein of a potentially legendary movement and one of the worlds finest jewelers, which, in the right forum, may be exceedingly sought after.

10. dfratini

dfratini Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 31, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Fratini
    not too sure about Shear Time. I went on their web site filled out a "get back to me with a price" form and even sent a picture and now 3 days later...nothing not a word. I even gave them both my email and cell phone.

11. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Very cool back story to the watch

12. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #13 Qksilver, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Antiquorium

14. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
  15. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Antiquorum should be able to appraise it for you.

16. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    This is the problem with Buccellati watches and the default reaction by most people. Buccellati started offering watches in 2001, which fill more of a fashionista purpose than horological and really have no significant history in that space today.

This is incomparable, and therefore difficult to place in the watch world as the stigma regarding Buccellati watches is generally not great. I think the caliber of this watch is not identified by benchmarking it against today's Buccellati offerings. That is why I'm looking for serious historians who can help me figure it all out!

If I had to make a parallel to our other passion, cars, I think this may be analogous to Jaguar: today's offerings are not really for serious car-guys. Even the F-Type, while cool and fun, is not prying enthusiasts out of their German and Italian counterparts. Sure, they like it, but when push comes to shove they're not buying them. That being said, bring a 1955 D-Type to Cars and Coffee or a historic race and you've got infinitely more equity in your level of car-guy and are playing in the big leagues.

I think this is a similar situation, with the exception that everybody knows what a D-Type is, which is not the case with this watch. That's where I'm trying to fill in the blanks, which is difficult given it's unique story. That said, I'm making some progress and hope to have updates in the coming weeks.

17. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Very cool! Those Star Dial Rolex's are very cool. Do you think they took a movement from the 6062 and just moved it over? Or did someone adapt it for your watch? Do you have any movement pictures? Would love to see the bridges and finish work.

If adapted, any speculation on who did it? Wouldn't be cool to find out that an up and coming Franck Muller, or someone like that, did the movement work?

18. bigcrown

bigcrown Rookie

Jan 20, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Saw my name up here, so I decided to respond.

I'm a watch dealer, and happen to be a member here. (2005 575 SA)

About the watch in question, the movement has absolutely nothing to do with Rolex. Most likely its an eta based caliber that was lightly customized for the manufacture. The real unfortunate thing for the owner of this watch, is that it really has no market value. Whereas a Rolex or Patek, etc trade at well defined price points, if you "Had to" sell this watch, there is no price too low. My honest guess would be that the watch could get put into a watch auction with a reserve of $4-6k and see what happens. (I mean no disrespect to the owner, but giving my professional opinion.)