What World Time should I get? | FerrariChat

What World Time should I get?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Skidkid, Jan 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

What watch should I get?

1. Ball Trainmaster World Time GMT Chronograph

2. Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Worldtimer

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    #1 Skidkid, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Been wanting a world time for a while. The Patek is out of my price range so I need a different option. I have been looking at these two:

Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Worldtimer
    Ball Trainmaster World Time GMT Chronograph

I think they are both great looking watches, some of the best in the class. What watch do you guys think I should get and why?

NOTE: I grabbed the pics from thumbnails in Google search. I don't think I am stepping on anyone and will take them down if there is an issue.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Sorry I can't offer any advice John, but I think they both look very cool and I would go with the Maurice Lacroix on looks alone. :eek:

Best of luck with your decision, it's going to be a tough one. :)

3. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I own a ML Sun/Moon and am very pleased with it. I really like the World Time,can someone explain to me how it works (how to tell the time with it in different cities)?

4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    The ML is more dressy and very classy. I love the date indicator and the day/night indicator. The gold hand points to the timezone you are set for, push the button to move the gold hand.

The Ball is a little more sporty. The chrono makes it a little busy but not too bad AND you have to love the tubes in a Ball. The crown looks great but you have to wonder if it is a little too exposed.

I have one ML right now, a GMT. I had a double retrograde but that went when I was burglarized and I lost a bunch of watches, there is a thread somewhere on here. Anyway, they are a great watch and good value.

Most world time watches you pull the crown out and rotate the inner ring. That sets the time zone. Some you just have to work it out. And a few have an indicator like the ML; it is moved either with the crown, it's own crown, or in the ML by pushing the button.

5. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    On looks alone, the ML.

6. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #6 GordonC, Jan 12, 2015
    I'd go for the Frederique Constant Manufacture Worldtimer Manufacture Worldtimer | Frederique Constant - Geneve

It looks similar to the Maurice Lacroix, but the difference for me in this case would be that FC does a special Canadian version with Canadian cities for the North American time zones ;) The 'normal' versions are still pretty nice, but here's the Canadian version with the North American cities in red...:

7. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #7 arizonaitalian, Jan 12, 2015
    I just bought the B&M version last week, happy so far. Joma has it for 70% off of the silly high retail price. It has the jumping hour feature that I believe the FC does not and the FC has part of the world timer info hidden under the date wheel for some odd reason. I didn't look at / evaluate the two watches you included in the OP.

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Nice watch. It is a similar price point at Joma.

9. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    So on the picture above, does the outer blue/white ring turn to keep time ( 24hour)? For example, does it indicate 21:00 in London and 11:00 in Hawaii?

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I just got an email from Joma and they are selling the FC for $2150.

John, yes the 24 hour ring turns. Hands show home time and the 24 hour ring turns to keep the time current for the various cities. On the Ball you can turn the ring with the crown but setting it isn't straight forward. The ML has a pusher at 2 & 5 that advance or reverse 1 hour. You can change the local time VERY easily when you are traveling. The 24 hour ring stays correct with the time changes.

I think I am going with the ML. I have found one NIB for $2500. I guess a Ball will have to wait for a while longer.

11. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

Yes, exactly. A world timer displays all time zones at once (except 30 min time zones). Of course it only shows one city name for each zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

Nice choice. I hadn't seen the ML when I got my B&M last week and it would have been in my final two for sure. They are essentially the same price and I bet similar quality and movement. So, mostly a style choice. I like that ML...trying not to have regrets :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Thanks Guys,
    Great watches. I am always getting confused on the correct times when planning on watching my son play hockey in the different time zones.
    Those are all great, and I love my ML Sun and Moon. Please post more pics of different models.

14. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    #14 drgek, Jan 14, 2015
  15. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    Very nice! My friend and I both took advantage of the B&M sale as well! He got the same World Timer as you, and I got the 8591 Classima Executive. I think B&M is really under appreciated! BTW, the prices have gone back up and the B&M World Timer is $4k now.

16. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    +1

17. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    #17 Dino246gts, Jan 18, 2015
    For an unreasonable price point I love my JLC. Plus it has a power reserve indication.
    Only 1500 made in stainless. And they are now out of production.

18. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming

And now the B&M is on sale for $1999 at Joma!

19. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    I like the ML. I will say the exhibition back and "in-house" movement on the Ball is pretty cool though :)

20. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    ML for sure! I think their watches are undervalued.

21. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    FC and Alpina are both great brands and gaining in popularity. My wife has already had 3 and I'm going to get my second Alpina any day now.