Comments and questions regarding a vintage Omega watch | FerrariChat

Comments and questions regarding a vintage Omega watch

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by up4speed, Feb 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #1 up4speed, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After my father in law passed away, my mother in law gave me his watch to use and pass on etc. It's an old automatic Omega Seamaster De Ville. I'm guessing that it's approximately cir. 1960's to 70's. There are not that many markings on the case as shown in photos. The only available markings can clearly be seen on the face of the watch, the engraved "Sea Master" logo on the back, and it has "14k G.F." and "Stainless Steel Hinge" written on the clasp.
    I was considering putting on an alligator skin wrist band and wearing the watch (I'm not crazy about the gold colored bracelet)

Can some of the watch enthusiasts on the board please help out with questions that I have?

1. How much is this watch worth?
    2. Is it solid gold, or gold plated?
    3. Is it possible to get the exact age?
    4. I would like to get the watch cleaned & serviced, is it worth it? Approx. how much will it cost? Do I have to send it to Omega to have it done?
    5. When serviced, I would like to replace crystal because there are some minor defects on it. Is that a bad idea? will it ruin the value is it better to remain original (assuming the watch has substantial value)?

Thanks for any help, additional comments and thoughts are welcome. Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Nice looking De Ville. It is gold filled not solid. Price depending on condition (nice that it has the box, any papers?) $500-$1000? You can contact Omega with the movement serial number and for about $100 they will send you a certificate of when your watch was born and where it was first sold.

The service will cost more than the watch is worth but if you want to keep it and use it then it's money well spent IMHO. If you are going to wear it make it useable, so replace crystal and any really badly worn or damaged parts. I like the patina of an old watch, (so would avoid replacing the dial and hands if possible) but you need to be able to read the time. :)

If you are worried about reducing originality for a future owner, ask for any replaced parts to be returned to you after the service.

3. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    It is definitely worth getting it cleaned/serviced. It might not be worth a ton to sell, but you could not buy a brand new watch of comparable quality, with an in house built movement, for much less high 4 figures.

Definitely a keeper. The monster lonzenge on the back is in great shape. Whoever cleans the watch for you, make sure they keep it that way. Don't let anyone polish the back of the watch. Lots of those watch backs get ruined that way.

Personally I would take the bracelet off and put a nice leather strap on it.

4. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #4 up4speed, Feb 10, 2015
    Thanks for the info guys.
    By the way, I don't have the paperwork for it at this time, they may eventually show up though.
    I have to agree about the strap, I really do not like the gold bracelet on it (I feel like it's tacky, just my personal opinion). I decided to go with a black alligator strap with the gold push button deployment clasp (like the one pictured below). With the alligator strap, I will be able to wear it and I'm sure that's what my FIL would have wanted. I'm not looking to sell because I definitely want to hand it down the generations (I really don't have any other heirlooms), but it would be nice to know how much it cost when it was new, what it's worth now, and it's potential future value just out of curiosity. I know they made a ton of them, so I don't expect the value that high.

At this time I decided to have it overhauled and the crystal replaced. I found a local watch repair place that will do it for $250-$300 (I will get an exact estimate after they see the watch).

I'm hoping that it's a 1968 or a 1970 model since it's the year of my and my wife's birth.

5. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Excellent news, I think it's a great looking watch. $300 sounds great value for a service.

When they open the back ask for photos of the movement and serial number, with this you can date your watch. Let us know what happens.

6. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks! I'll keep you guys updated on the progress of course.
    I already asked them in the work order to give me all the movement #'s etc. printed inside the case, but I like the idea of a photo. I'll have to let them know after they give me an exact price.

7. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Update:
    I found out that the watch is a 1952 model.

Other than finding out the date of the watch, not very good news unfortunately.

The estimate increased SUBSTANTIALLY from the initial $250 - $300, and did not seem like a good deal any longer. The total after tax was $768.02!
    They claimed that they needed to rebuild the self winding mechanism, and replace the main spring. In order to do that they needed to hand make discontinued parts.
    Then they wanted an additional $99.99 for an original crystal and another $49.99 to "replace all seals and gaskets"
    and another $99.99 to polish the case and band!
    Needless to say, I didn't do the full service. I then asked if they could leave everything alone and just give it a cleaning and oiling. They said that they wouldn't touch the watch for liability purposes unless I did the full overhaul service.
    None of that sounded right to me since the watch seemed to work perfectly before I gave it to them, so at this point I asked for it back and my plan is to clean it up the best I can, and change the band myself. In the mean time, I will keep my options open and look for a place that may just give it a good oiling.
    Does this all sound typical, or are they just trying to take advantage of me?

8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I think Simon was accurate in his post above, Chris.

Is that quote from an Authorized Dealer sending it to Omega?

I see no real reason not to send it to an independent shop. They should be closer to the initial estimate.

Matt

9. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It was an independent! I know that the factory already quoted me approx $500 - $1,000 depending on what it needed.
    I did find another place that came highly recommended on the vintage watch forums. His prices are WAY less than even my original quoted price.
    I have the wait about a week or two for the watch to be sent back to me and I'll update this thread with my next move.... Probably send it to the place that had a recommendation.

10. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    If it's running and keeping time I would suggest just changing the strap and wearing the watch as it is for a while. After a few weeks on your wrist you may decide you hate it or love it. You then have a better idea if you want to invest in a full rebuild, pack it away at the back of a wardrobe for the next generation or just continue wearing it as it is.

11. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm very torn because it's not my style watch at all and the only reason that I want to service it and wear it a little is because it's an heirloom. If it's too expensive to service, I'm going to do exactly as you sugggrsted, but if it's under $250 or $300 total, I'm going to overhaul it so it stays in good condition for the future generations. And since I love watches, I'm hoping to transform it into something that is cool and wearable. I will keep everyone posted!

12. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I got the watch back from the "rip off place" and I am sending it to this guy:
    https://www.watchdoctor.biz/Default.aspx
    He came highly recommended on the vintage watch forums so he should be the real deal.
    If the watch doesn't need any extra work, it will be taken apart, cleaned, oiled and polished for approx. $85!! (plus shipping)
    I'm sending it out tomorrow, I'll keep everyone updated on the progress. It should take a few weeks to get it back.

13. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Nice.

I have a vintage Speedmaster that I'd like serviced. I'll be watching this thread.

14. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    I just bought a vintage Seamaster that I am going to need to have serviced so I will be watching the thread also.

15. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I sent the watch out on Friday. The place should receive the watch on Monday or Tuesday (3/9 or 3/10). He will then look at it and tell me if it needs anything additional. I will definitely update you guys and also let you all know how happy I am with his service and prices.

16. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    His guy doesn't do Speedmasters. :(

17. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I posting an update just to let you guys know that the overhaul on the watch is already done!!
    Apparently the watch didn't need any parts or extra work so the total was $85 plus $20 for return shipping. I feel like that is a great price with fast service! I will update this thread once I get the watch in my hands and see how it operates and looks.
    He seems like a VERY easy to work with guy. He also sent an e-mail saying that he will give $10 off to any new customer I refer (plus I would also get $10 off of my next repair).
    I will keep you guys updated once I get the watch back.

18. johnb@macarbon

johnb@macarbon Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    John Borchelt
    I called The Watch Doctor today wanting to get a quote on my Speedmaster. But I hung up after one ring when I noticed on his site said he did not work on chronographs. He called me back.... so we chatted for a few minutes as he explained why he only works on non-chronograph mechanical watches. It was an enjoyable discussion. I now have an itch to troll eBay for something interesting. Besides getting a fake, my hesitancy to buying something on eBay has always been not being able to get it serviced. Sounds like the Watch Doctor will be a good resource.

19. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Out of curiosity, why doesn't he work on chronographs? What did he say?

20. johnb@macarbon

johnb@macarbon Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    John Borchelt
    Mark, The Watch Doctor, explained that chronographs are much more complicated than the standard mechanical watches. And for many models, parts are not readily available. So rather than take on a lot of long chronograph projects, he prefers to not work on them. It made sense to me.

21. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #21 up4speed, Mar 16, 2015
    I got the watch back today.
    I feel like he did a wonderful job!
    It looks great and it works great. I replaced the band with an alligator band and I really like it now. It has a nice vintage look, but matches my style a little better. The watch looks brand new!
    I definitely recommend Mark Sirianni to anyone who needs service on their watch. There was great communication, he was fast, and his prices were more than fair. I was very impressed with how fast I had the watch back in my hands. Here are the photos:

22. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    Looks great. Thanks for the update.

23. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Do you recall where you bought the alligator strap?

24. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks! I'm very happy with the results. I'll probably wear it every now and then. I'm sure that's what my FIL would have wanted.

Amazon.com: 17mm Alligator Grain Leather Watch Band Strap Gold Push Button Deployment Clasp Color Black: Watches

I have to agree with the one review that says that the strap is a little stiff. It's a little annoying, but then again, it's the first day that I'm wearing it. It may improve as it breaks in.

25. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Chris, the watch looks great.
    Enjoy.