The Apple Watch thread | FerrariChat

The Apple Watch thread

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by rkuo, Mar 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rkuo

rkuo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2009
    California
    Well, the announcement comes next week. What do you all think?

I will buy the cheapest one and try it out. Might possibly be convinced to go up to 42mm, but in general am viewing this as technology and not a personal statement.

I may wear two watches while I'm trying out the Apple Watch. That will probably offend the hell out of my girlfriend and a few of you, but it has to be done. :)

Can't really see the point of the gold Edition, but hey I'm sure that's what a lot of people think about our watches anyway, so the shoe is on the other foot!

2. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'm not planning to get one. We'll see how I deal with the flurry of excitement.

3. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I believe its is going to be a flop. The average watch looks like a kids watch. This is more about fashion over technology. A tech giant just doesn't have the fashion sense to pull this off.

4. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Truly a product I don't understand. Few under 30 wear watches today, and I would guess most of the ones that do use it only as a fashion accessory.

Apple had to increase the size of screens on the Iphone in order to compete, so how useful can such a small screen really be?

I'm sure Apple will make it look and operate well, but I have no interest in buying one, nor do any of my friends.

I would love to see who exactly is the targeted market.

5. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Look at it this way. Once they do the iCar we'll finally be able to realise our knight rider's dreams. Only, a stupid electric box will come when called, instead.

6. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Decided to ask a fashion forward cousin, she is 17. From pictures she says it looks like something you'd get at McDonalds, not cool. Second, she says, texting with friends (her main activity on a phone) would be very difficult and annoying on such a small screen. Its not useable in her opinion. She can't see any of her friends buying one. In her opinion, watches in general are just not cool anymore.

7. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    If you really want to see the primary Apple Watch apps, features and what they will look like on screen, you can see them here.

This is a site for third party app developers so they can get a feel for the overall platform and experience design as they code.

I hope I am not breaking some sort of site rule for including an external link. If so, I beg forgiveness.

WatchApps | WatchAware

8. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    The stock continues to rise. I think it will hit $200/share. I doubt the watch will be a success- though I'm sure they will sell plenty

9. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    The only thing that could be interesting is Apple pay. But CNBC just did a thing on the watch and stated Apple pay is plagued with credit card theft. Won't see me using it now. I'm paranoid about credit cards. I won't use them online because of the theft potential.

10. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    #10 WJHMH, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The chassis is too thick but most likely will get slimed down on the next version. I like the fitness applications & health features, that's going to be extremely beneficial. Not a fan of Apple pay as stated above, I haven't set it up on my 6+ yet.

It will sell but 15k for Apple's iWatch Edition, best of luck with that. Seriously, if you have the means to buy a 15k watch, buy a Omega, Rolex, Tag Heuer, Breitling, etc.. Not a damn smart watch that will be obsolete in three years.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. rkuo

rkuo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2009
    California
    I love the look of the Space Black Stainless Steel model, but at $1099 I'll probably just end up with the $399 42mm space gray Sport. Which is a bit of a no brainer for just trying out some new tech. I don't really need to make a fashion statement with this watch. They really didn't do a great job of "teaching" me why I need one of these, but I'm willing to experiment.

12. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    I watched the whole introduction today but I just can't see a need for an iWatch. It seems to do a lot of neat things but nothing that would be a game changer for me. It's hard to think about buying one when my G/SS Rolex GMT Master II sits in the box most of the time, pretty much replaced by an iPhone!

13. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

If Apple Watch can hook into the medical monitoring of a person's heart, respiratory, and other vital signs, then I think they will hit it out of the park again!

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I will be a hit with the younger crowd if it helps them get laid.

If not, its going to be a flop

15. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 my frau and I discussed and did not see a large reason to buy it when data one needs is available already. Its an interesting item and the Apple cachet will ensure it's success no matter.

16. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    This is the main argument with the Apple watch at the high end of the luxury scale. Sure, at a few hundred bucks, nobody cares about the product lifespan. But, at upwards of $10k, I personally think it'll be a hard sell because, in about a year, it will be obsolete.

I'm certainly more inclined to try one at the entry level price. I'll save the 5-figure watch purchases for the better known Swiss brands.

That said, I'm not planning to buy an Apple watch because I like wearing my Swiss timepieces too much, and would be sad if they were replaced with this gizmo.

Edit: Yesterday in the Journal, the headline read: "Apple's Plan for Watch: Rolex Status"

17. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Can you pull up that sexual position app on it?

That would make things easier.:D

18. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I believe to succeed they need the youth market, starting at pre-teen to 25 year olds. In the 80's, when I was a teenager, Swatch watches became extremely popular. It was as big as Ray Ban sunglasses. But these things had an obtainable price point. Most of us kids could afford them on allowance's. The $300 plus starting point for iWatch is too expensive for the youth market.

19. rkuo

rkuo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2009
    California
    Pretty sure the built-in accelerometer can help with that.

20. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    What's going to happen in April 2016 when Apple introduces the iWatch 2, you know the one where the apps actually work? Phones are one thing but watches usually last longer than one year. I'm not sure that built in obsolescence is going to work with a $10K item.

21. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    #21 TheBigEasy, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    I don't get it. I vote flop.

I love apple and have almost every single one of their new products... but I just have zero desire to wear that watch.

Their new product I am most excited about is CarPlay... would love to have that.

Instead of making watches... They should have built 4K tv's with built-in iTunes Store to go after Samsung and cable box companies... I think that would have been a home-run for them... TV that syncs with your phone/iPad... Email/message notifications on the screen... Direct subscriptions to HBO and NFL... That is where they need to be.... A watch is a stupid gimmick.

Also, I think they should have bought Bose over Beats. I'm so far not happy with the post Steve Jobs direction.

22. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The weakness initially is the battery life. 18 hours if you are lucky from the reviews. Again battery life for Apple. An appliance must be powered longer.

23. maxyedor

maxyedor Rookie

Aug 12, 2013
    Thousand Oaks, Ca
    Full Name:
    Max
    They're gambling that they can change your mind, and much like a phone, you'll be willing to upgrade every couple of years. They may almost have a point. Most people don't wear a watch anymore, and those of us who do, aren't the target audience.

I see the target audience as people who are walking around with a fitbit on their wrist right now. They know a fitbit will only last a few years, and that for $120, it does just about nothing. The cheap Apple watch, at $350, is still within reach for anybody buying a fit-bit, does all the same things as their fitbit plus a whole lot more, and looks a lot better.

If you look at it as a fashion accessory, even $1000-1500 (the cost of the "nice" watches) for something you'll have for 2 years isn't that terrible. Lots of people spend that kind of money on shoes or clothes that they won't keep more than a few years. Even more people lose that much money leasing a car for 24 months so they can stay current. It's not an entirely unreasonable thought, but only works if they can convinve the Apple watch is this years must have, and keep convincing them for years to come.

The $10k+ options? Not sure who's buying these phones, LUX IPHONE 6 IN BLACK FINISHED IN 24K YELLOW GOLD WITH DIAMOND LOGO 128GB - Brikk | Lux iPhone 6 and Lux Apple Watch now available in yellow gold, pink gold and platinum with diamond options but that same person will buy the $10k watch.

I disagree. The fact that it's neither waterproof, nor all that durable means you're not going to take it anywhere you wouldn't take your phone. Just like a phone, as long as it makes it through the day, it's probably okay. If you're going to be away from an outlet for an extended period of time, no tech toy is going to work out for you.

I really don't see these becoming the next big thing, but I don't quite see them being a flop either. I don't believe the luxury models will survive into the second generation, but the sport model, it'll sell at a steady enough pace to keep AAPL on the rise.

24. ITALIENlove

ITALIENlove Rookie

Mar 20, 2015
    South of Florida
    Full Name:
    Frank R.
    TAKE CARE GUYS! Well, it is a 18K watch but in total they used about 25% of gold if you see it in total. I collect luxury and vintage watches and for me, that watch isn't worth 15K.

25. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Apple needs to sell it as a fashion accessory and its not a fashion company. Very tough road.

Apple Watch retail sales strategy - Business Insider

I invested in a fashion forward retail brand. Called Club Monaco. It was very popular amongst teenagers in the late 80's and through the 90's. Even they had trouble selling accessories like jewellery including watches. If a retail fashion giant can't do it, its impossible for Apple. The company was purchased by Ralph Lauren. College students and teenagers make things cool, they can't afford it! It will be a big failure for Apple.