Tag Heuer? | FerrariChat

Tag Heuer?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by 360gtracer, Apr 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    What is the general opinion of Tag Heuer these days?

I have three, one is over 20 years old (the very basic, and cheapest, F1 Sports Watch from early 90's), and the other two are just a year or three old (Carrera Calibre 5 - the one with the three date window, and an F1 Chrono). Saw a black Aquaracer Chrono (with rubber strap) at what appeared to be a pretty sweet deal, but probably the wrong time (pardon the pun) for me to jump on it.

Anyway, just wondering what the serious watch folks think of them.

Thanks.

gp

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I am not a real serious watch guy, but I love mine.

I just wish the second hand would stop at 12, instead of a couple seconds after 12 when I reset the Chrono.

It has been repaired once, I've just given up on this small detail.

D

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My parents gave me one as a college graduation gift 10 years ago this year. During that time I wore it for 3 or 4 years and then I didn't wear it for several and have been wearing it again daily for the last few. It's been a great watch and still looks great.

It's only been serviced once for a new battery.

4. quinnie

quinnie Rookie

Feb 2, 2015
    I've got mine for a year now and I am very happy with it and budget wise they are a great deal compared to other brands.

5. FiveLiterEater96

FiveLiterEater96 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #5 FiveLiterEater96, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've had a CV2014 Carrera with the Calibre 16 for seven or eight years and still wear it regularly. It still looks sharp in my opinion and keeps fairly good time. A bit overdue for a service though..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    That one's gorgeous. Thanks for the pic! Mine is similar, but not a chrono...

gp

7. FiveLiterEater96

FiveLiterEater96 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks! It was one that I had wanted since I was in college and when I finally bought it I promised myself never to part with it. It ended up being my favorite piece and I find myself putting it on more than any other.

8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #8 El Wayne, Apr 2, 2015
    I've had my Monaco for more than ten years and my 6000 for more twenty years. Both have been through Hell and back (the 6000 has been 60'-70' deep in the Pacific numerous times) and they've held up wonderfully. Just recently replaced the strap on the Monaco for the first time.

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Needed to add that I got one a couple years ago for my younger son as a graduation gift. It's his DD for his wrist, and he's not easy on it.

Works great, he has not had a problem. Looks great too.

D

10. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I have two Tag Heuer watches, both were purchased when I was in college. A 2000 Professional, which is my daily and the other is the Pilot.

Yes, I am old.

11. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    For me it's all about the movement and Tag are a credible maker/modifier of movements. The connection to Zenith (of El Primero fame) can't hurt. In terms of brand:

Patek tier 1. AP/Rolex/Hublot tier 2. Panerai/IWC/Zenith/UN tier 3. Breitling/Tag tier 4. Lacroix/Hamilton/B&R/Constant/Mercier tier 5 ....

Not complete lists of course and each maker probably has models up or down a tier. But you get my gist.

12. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I have a 1000 series in Black coral. I got it from the Sharper Image catalog in 1986. I haven't worn it in 15-20 years, but I always keep a fresh battery in it.

If memory serves, it was the first watch under the Tag Huer merger. Correct?

13. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    We have talked about the Monaco on the forum before. To recap,looking at the image above,showing the TAG/Heuer logo on the face..that is a later re-edition. The Heuer chronograph became famous when ,a swiss watch maker Jacques Heuer,found publicity for his product through local racing driver,Jo Siffert. This connection introduced Heuer to the world of F1 and motorsport in general. The result was the launch of the Monaco chronograph. Steve Mc Queen met Siffert in the US,saw the watch,and as they say,the rest is history. The publicity that S MQ wound up during the filming of the film 'Le Mans' put the product at the top of the tree,and it has become the racing drivers prefered timepiece from then on.In terms of value,Steve ordered a number of originals,which he gave out to friends/drivers during the filming. With provenance,these watches are valuable. The first re-edition,with the logo Heuer on the face,are the next up. When the face logo changed to TAG Heuer,that is more modern,and later,so the earlier ,the better

14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Tag Heuer are good solid watches that have come up in estimation over the past 10 years. the Mikrograph is an amazing watch and has the classic looks to back it up. however Tag Heuer suffered a serious bad rap back in the late 80's and early 90's with quality and looking / feeling cheap.
    I have a bunch from the 90's and I wear them now and again - but they are not collectable. however the modern Tag's are every bit as good as any other top level watch, but I fear they will not ever be thought of in the High end by watch afficinados - nor have the same quality rep that Rolex has ... they will be langushing somewhere below that middle tier ...

15. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    I really like the Monaco LS. A fabulous looking modern watch with A rather interesting linear movement.

16. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    Is your watch quartz or automatic? If quartz, that is super easy to fix and takes <1 minute. You don't even have to take the watch apart :)

17. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    I'll be super-interested in reading how this is done. Not because I have the problem, but just because an easy fix like this fascinates me..... :)

gp

18. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Entry-level luxury, similar to Omega, Breitling, whatnot. No match for Rolex fit and finish, but nice watches nevertheless.

I have a quartz aquaracer and I wear it very frequently.

19. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Is that a dark blue dial face on the Monaco, or black? I ask because I've only seen the watch in the blue of the rerelease a while back.

20. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #20 El Wayne, Apr 6, 2015
    Yes, as I stated before, I bought this watch new little more than a decade ago, so it's a modern reissue.

It's black. Here are some shots of the actual watch (just taken off of my wrist and in need of a cleaning). These also show the new strap. It originally came with the crocodile-style strap shown in the file photo I posted earlier.

A downside to the Monaco is that the crystal is actually Perspex and not sapphire, so it does get scratched easily. Mine has accumulated a number of small scratches over the years, which you can just barely see if you look closely at these photos.

21. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Very nice!!! Thanks.

22. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #22 El Wayne, Apr 20, 2015
  23. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I love the V4s. I wonder how often the belts need changing ;)